Tips for wild camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

Try Archiescamping...it lists more camp sites than you could possibly imagine, has a phone number for them and is usually pretty well up to date

http://www.archiescampings.eu/

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
yeah, I thought as much but I if I use something, I like to reciprocate. I may well register anyway.

cheers
You can register and offer to host but it does not mean that you have to be available all the time to host. It is up to you. I have bought my host chocolates or cake. Just a thankyou and always appreciated. Worth the experience sometimes to see how other people live their daily lives in another country.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Have you tried the Camping & Caravanning Club sites at Wolverley (just north of Kidderminster) and Blackmore (near Hanley Swan)? Both will take tents and will always find room for a cycle camper - even if they're not a member of the C&CC.

I'm still having a look round but thanks for the tip. I don't want to stray too far from the route as I have slight time constraints and my fitness may not be what it should be :giggle:

I appreciate your help.

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
To all those people who have replied with answers and advice, many thanks.

I'm still looking at the wild camping option so any more tips/do's and dont's would be appreciated

doog

Cheers doog

No probs...as for the camping and caravanning club dont worry about membership, never been asked once -

To all those people who have replied with answers and advice, many thanks.

I'm still looking at the wild camping option so any more tips/do's and dont's would be appreciated

Go for it. Trust me it takes an awful lot of balls for someone to approach a tent in the sticks or anywhere else and unless its the landowner (very unlikely) you have zilch to worry about. Stop late, start early and leave no trace is the golden rule but heck you could even rock up on a village green and have a decent nights sleep.

ThompsonCrowley

Hi there. I've had quite a lot of experience wild camping in Britain over the years. I've actually written a book about it! In England it's technically a no no, but if you're discreet, remain hidden and out of the way, only stay for one night, and don't climb over fences/gates you'll be fine. I've been spotted a few times by farmers and they've never minded as I was always very respectful, i.e- didn't start fires, didn't leave rubbish and didn't make lots of noise. The one problem you might run into though is finding a suitable place. It sounds as though where you're heading will be pretty green, but still, it could be hard finding somewhere. Most of Britain's land is tied up in fences, every inch of land someone's precious property. I've spent so much time getting stressed when tired and desperate to camp searching onwards and onwards for a decent spot to pitch up. Checking on google maps would be an idea. And don't let that put you off, when you do find somewhere good it's well worth the effort. There's something quite special about camping out in the wild, you feel at one with nature, a little vulnerable perhaps, but it's definitely an enriching experience.

Hope that's of some use. Ps. Check out my book here, you may like to hear of my many tales wild-camping: http://www.lunchmusic.co.uk/Buy the Book/
All the best!

MarkF

Guru
Almudena-Cemetery-in-Madrid-Spain_Cemetery-view_7653.jpg

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Hi there. I've had quite a lot of experience wild camping in Britain over the years. I've actually written a book about it! In England it's technically a no no, but if you're discreet, remain hidden and out of the way, only stay for one night, and don't climb over fences/gates you'll be fine. I've been spotted a few times by farmers and they've never minded as I was always very respectful, i.e- didn't start fires, didn't leave rubbish and didn't make lots of noise. The one problem you might run into though is finding a suitable place. It sounds as though where you're heading will be pretty green, but still, it could be hard finding somewhere. Most of Britain's land is tied up in fences, every inch of land someone's precious property. I've spent so much time getting stressed when tired and desperate to camp searching onwards and onwards for a decent spot to pitch up. Checking on google maps would be an idea. And don't let that put you off, when you do find somewhere good it's well worth the effort. There's something quite special about camping out in the wild, you feel at one with nature, a little vulnerable perhaps, but it's definitely an enriching experience.

Hope that's of some use. Ps. Check out my book here, you may like to hear of my many tales wild-camping: http://www.lunchmusic.co.uk/Buy the Book/
All the best!

Thanks for the encouragement. You've pretty much said mast things I thought about.

I have a look at the book.

Top Bottom