Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Slick

Guru
I love this one.

http://road.cc/content/news/231075-video-sorry-mate-i-didnt-see-you-day

As soon as you see what car is approaching you know how it will go down.
What a boot.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The problem is that accepting more responsibility for our personal safety is a one way street. Back when cars were new, cyclists didn't need rear lights at all. First it was agreed that cyclists would have a white patch on their rear mudguard to show in headlights. Later it was agreed that they would have a red light, on a par with a glowworm. As time has gone by the perceived requirements have just got ramped up and up, but nothing comes back the other way. If we had an arrangement that, should a driver hit a lit cyclist, they would be prosecuted, that would show some intent towards reciprocity. All that happens is that, how ever much the cyclist takes appropriate steps, more and more excuses are made for them.
The white patch on the rear mudguard was a WW2 'Blackout' measure.

Motorway users will know this one. You know those trucks with the big lit up arrow on the back? They have some whacking great strobe lights that totally obliterate all darkness for a radius of ten miles and make your brain go :scratch:. Well I want a red version of one of those strobe lights to stick on my backpack.
Only the most ardent phone user will miss that!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Actually, I was expecting far worse. Well done to the rider for the emergency turn to the right minimising the impact despite having one hand off to signal and the road looking very wet and slippy!
The first time I got rear ended, three back lights, space lemon, reflectives, pelmet, pedal reflectors et al, et cetera, but sadly no camera the driver said "You came out of nowhere"

"Er, no you blinking blinker I was blinking stopped on the blinking give way line and you blinking well drove straight into me, you blinking blind blinked up can't. BLINK!"

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Motorway users will know this one. You know those trucks with the big lit up arrow on the back? They have some whacking great strobe lights that totally obliterate all darkness for a radius of ten miles and make your brain go :scratch:. Well I want a red version of one of those strobe lights to stick on my backpack.
You wish!
Incident-Support-Unit-with-impact-protection-after-being-struck-by-a-vehicle-on-the-M1.jpg

(source)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Errrm...

hivisfail.jpg

Edited to remove errant text

Last edited:
’m far from an expert in how to understand these studies. I find it impossible to understand how a highly visible cyclist is just as likely to be hit by a driver as one almost invisible by dressing all in black at night without lights.

I think it's because being visible is a binary. You are either visible or you are not. The reason lights might not make a difference is because the driver actually sees both cyclists at around the same time, and either absorbs the knowledge they were there or filters them out like the gorilla. If your lower level brain processing doesn't regard cyclists as important, it won't relay them to your consciousness no matter how brightly they are dressed.

Last edited:
Aside: I once encountered a genuine smidsy - someone who was completely invisible. I was driving down a well let suburban street with headlights on. There was something white in the middle of the road. A plastic bag? A discarded newspaper? I was concentrating trying to work out what it was. I was going to drive over it, but thought better of it - what if it's a cat? - and manoeuvred around it. As I passed I realised it was a person talking to her friend, leaning in the driver's window. If she hadn't been wearing white shoes, I would have hit her a something close to 30 mph. And I really, really couldn't see her - except the shoes. But ninja cyclist are usually quite visible.

Top Bottom