Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think it's because being visible is a binary. You are either visible or you are not. The reason lights might not make a difference is because the driver actually sees both cyclists at around the same time, and either absorbs the knowledge they were there or filters them out like gorilla. If your lower level brain processing doesn't regard cyclists as important, it won't relay them to your consciousness no matter how brightly they are dressed.
The authors of The Invisible Gorilla cite examples where folk look but don't see even when we might assume their lower brain processing does regard the object they look at as important.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 5066143, member: 9609"]we are where we are though, it is not a situation I like, [/QUOTE]
And how did we get there?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5066143, member: 9609"]we are where we are though, it is not a situation I like, I wish drivers would concentrate more and I wish the justice system would compel them to take more care, but sadly as you say it has went the other way. In the mean time I think making myself as visible as possible is a very good idea, may be dressing as a ninja in hope it will cause drivers to concentrate more is the way forward but don't fancy it my self.[/QUOTE]
That's not the counter argument, but hey, keep on inventing your own demons if it makes you happy.

The reason not to waste money on s stuff that doesn't work is to spend more on stuff that does or seems more likely to, like better lighting systems, training and even Road Justice campaigning or helping get more newcomers cycling instead of driving.

simongt

Guru
[QUOTE 5067813, member: 9609"]it is only the last one that will really hurt his feelings deep down though[/QUOTE]

Oh yes; after all, most of us are a right little Jenson Button when we get behind the wheel of a car aren't we - ? ! :rofl: :biggrin:

oldstrath

Über Member
That's not the counter argument, but hey, keep on inventing your own demons if it makes you happy.

The reason not to waste money on s stuff that doesn't work is to spend more on stuff that does or seems more likely to, like better lighting systems, training and even Road Justice campaigning or helping get more newcomers cycling instead of driving.
How is User9609 not spending money on hiviz or on lights you think are unnecessary going to improve driver training or law enforcement?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
How is User9609 not spending money on hiviz or on lights you think are unnecessary going to improve driver training or law enforcement?

The promotion of hi-vis by car companies and the government costs money. It's not cheap to indoctrinate the public from childhood and throughout their adult life so this is money that would be better spent elsewhere, tackling the problem of bad driving and getting drivers to take responsibility for the great danger they bring.

(I'm not suggesting I speak for @mjr with this reply)

Reactions: mjr

oldstrath

Über Member
The promotion of hi-vis by car companies and the government costs money. It's not cheap to indoctrinate the public from childhood and throughout their adult life so this is money that would be better spent elsewhere, tackling the problem of bad driving and getting drivers to take responsibility for the great danger they bring.

(I'm not suggesting I speak for @mjr with this reply)
I completely agree about the costs of government promotion and desirability of alternative government action, but campaigns, however important, won't make the guy on an unlit back road be, or feel, any safer right now.

What the fark is the point of hi viz, lights, reflectors and neon underpants when drivers even drive head on to each other when there's a ton of farking metal with headlights like lazer beams aimed at their retina coming the other way?
Visibility above the basics is just a money making scheme.

Reactions: mjr

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I completely agree about the costs of government promotion and desirability of alternative government action, but campaigns, however important, won't make the guy on an unlit back road be, or feel, any safer right now.

I should have clarified that my vision of alternative action is widespread enforcement and proper punishment, not more of the 'share the road' bollox. If bad drivers feel there is a real prospect of being caught and losing the right to drive, it ought to result in better safety for everyone.

But there can't be proper punishments with no policing. And no-one wants to pay for policing.
Did I hear right that all new coppers must have a degree? So that's an inbuilt 4 year delay even if investment is forthcoming.

Top Bottom