Tips to Make Yourself Visible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Before anyone claims that something must be safe to get into the highway code, please remember that http://highwaycode.info/rule/187 still to this day includes "give plenty of room to [...] cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout" :crazy:
Turing right at a roundabout from the left hand lane when driving has become the norm in these parts. A small amount of official sanction becomes an informal blanket arrangement.
upload_2017-12-7_12-42-46.png

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't think that is confined to W. Sussex!
I have been told twice, once as a rider in conflict with a driver, and once as a passenger in a car, having one of "those" conversations with the driver, that indicators aren't needed when turning right from the left most lane as the filter markings make indicating redundant. In an ahead or turn right filter lane. What the actual!

Last edited:
Not just at night but generally things that will get drivers to see you in a low sun or coming down the road. Hi viz obviously, flashing lights even on a bright day? got knocked off last month at a roundabout because the driver couldn't see me in the low sun. ordered a new bike today but trying to think of ways to mitigate the risk. Going to try to get more accessories in yellow or orange and have my lights flashing day or night. Anything else without turning myself into blackpool illuminations :smile:
I think that road position is as important as lights and hi vis additions, but your incident could have occurred whilst wearing hi vis, and displaying lights, it’s not apparent what you had when you were hit from your post.
Road position will not automatically mean you are guaranteed to be safe, it appears to make a difference when I cycle, because by taking a primary position, I aim to be visible. I use lights in the daytime, and occasionally hi vis, if I deem this necessary on my chosen route, and consider weather conditions and lighting too.
I think an increase in visible additions to be necessary at least some of the time, although in country lanes yellow can get a little lost in the view.
Multi coloured clothing can help at times too.
Having driven a variety of HGVs, as well as cars and trains, hi vis is very effective generally, but not always. A man dressed in Cat 3 hi vis, if not standing in a visible place, may as well be hidden, and he needs to consider what will be in the background of driver approaching. This consideration should be paramount for us as cyclist as we traverse through our chosen routes.
Lights will always be a good addition, but, if the scenery blends with your chosen apparel, maybe best to get off and walk in a safe place for a few yards, rather than risk a possible close pass or worse.
Drivers, as we might all agree, have minds which wander sometimes, and it’s not always the careless, drunk, distracted or limited vision ones which cause accidents.
Be safe!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do not forget to wear black or dark colours to make yourself hi vis in the snow tomorrow
yk046_black_ft.jpg

U

User32269

I attempted to be visible last night in a Nissan Micra. Lights on in a floodlit car park. A guy got into his car with a young lad and began to reverse, as he got closer and closer to my stationary car, I blasted the horn. He stopped briefly, then just reversed into me!
Thankfully, he had a reasonable explanation for hitting my illuminated car whilst I was blasting the horn to warn him of my presence.
"Sorry mate, I was sort of looking the other way."

This has helped reinforce my long held belief that if I wrapped myself in Blackpool illuminations whilst towing a speaker on my bike blasting out AC-DC at 11 on the dial, some gobsh1te would SMIDSY me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I attempted to be visible last night in a Nissan Micra. Lights on in a floodlit car park. A guy got into his car with a young lad and began to reverse, as he got closer and closer to my stationary car, I blasted the horn. He stopped briefly, then just reversed into me!
Thankfully, he had a reasonable explanation for hitting my illuminated car whilst I was blasting the horn to warn him of my presence.

This has helped reinforce my long held belief that if I wrapped myself in Blackpool illuminations whilst towing a speaker on my bike blasting out AC-DC at 11 on the dial, some gobsh1te would SMIDSY me.
You need to paint the car in space lemon. Obvs.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Turing right at a roundabout from the left hand lane when driving has become the norm in these parts. A small amount of official sanction becomes an informal blanket arrangement. View attachment 386254
tlh has asked me to remind everyone that on the roundabout above it is perfectly acceptable for traffic on the A264 coming from Dorking and turning towards Crawley to turn LEFT, at high-speed, from the right-hand lane of the DC especially as this then makes the exit route from the roundabout much more entertaining, in a very excellent "Oh Jayzus! FFS!" kind of a way, for anyone turning right from the left-hand lane in my original streetview shot.
upload_2017-12-15_12-48-51.png

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Also Scotchlite* on all leading edges, and roof mounted flashing lights at retina melting intensity. I would say "drive something bigger" but having watched a nobber drive into a bright orange Sainsburys' artic the other day, maybe not.

*other reflective tapes are available.

Top Bottom