Tire Liners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I haven't had any installed in my wheels since I purchased the bike back in 2012. Never a flat in the many miles I've put on it, but who's to say I won't get one. One of the biggest issues on our roads for cyclists is what we call goatheads. They are nasty thorns that can easily puncture your tire. I run decent tires, Schwalbe Marathons that have a protective lining, but I'm sure a properly located goathead will find it's way through.

Lately, I have been thinking of having liners installed since my friends have been getting flats recently, especially from goatheads. Looking at some of the choices, I have seen good reviews on two products. The Rhinodillos and My. Tuffy. Right now my friend and I are in a debate. He thinks Mr Tuffy is the best, but from some video reviews, it shows Rhinodillos being the better of the two. Any thoughts folks?

For those that haven't heard of, or seen goatheads, I have included a photo below. Believe me, those thorns are very sharp.

Goatheads.jpg

As you can see, they are a nasty thing to have on the roads.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:eek: they look nasty.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Liners tend to be either fabric or dense rubber/plastic, which is what Schwalbe has with its Raceguard and Smartguard tyres anyway. The fabric liners are easy to fit but won't stop goatheads. The dense ones are more likely to, but you have to be very careful to fit them exactly else the edges will themselves stab or pinch the tube.

Ajax Bay

Guru

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13rtlk

M+ amateur 'test' versus Marathon Supremes. Maybe your local evil goatheads would defeat the combination of protection strength and depth. You could gather a few up and test these in your LBS. Or invite Schwalbe to take a view - could make a good advertisement (for M+s).
Particularly like the 'all-round' test. Could this be a way of fabricating makeshift 'ice tyres'?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I run liners on my subway which i use for winter commuting and they certainly do the job, the extra mass is not worth worrying about when you have lights, panniers etc etc.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13rtlk

M+ amateur 'test' versus Marathon Supremes. Maybe your local evil goatheads would defeat the combination of protection strength and depth. You could gather a few up and test these in your LBS. Or invite Schwalbe to take a view - could make a good advertisement (for M+s).
Particularly like the 'all-round' test. Could this be a way of fabricating makeshift 'ice tyres'?

Goatheads won't stand a chance with that. I have the Marathons, but not the Marathon Supremes. Perhaps I will get them installed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Pronoun equivocation. Not recommending Supremes (those were the other tyres the guy on the video rolled with (they punctured)). The 'defeating drawing pin' ones were Marathon Plus.

Top Bottom