Tired of shoddy workmanship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Google 'Nominal Size'

All uphill

Still rolling along
I am guilty of wanting "cheap" but expecting "quality", which can lead to disappointment. Even worse is paying a premium price and still getting a rubbish product. I haven't found a good answer to this, except buying from retailers who have a good returns policy.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Or what speed was the shed travelling at when measured. concord expanded 7 inches whilst travelling at Mach 2. So just accelerate the shed to the speed of sound and measure again.
Ah, but that was a thermal effect, not a speed effect. The heat came from the speed though.

Is this an effect of the shed nominally being “eight-be-ten” but actually being made in metric units?

If your first shed was a half-inch bigger and the new one a half-inch smaller than 10' X 8' then on average they've been spot on, and in fact you've gained 0.5 sq inches on two sheds that were perfectly sized.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I too find many tradesmen shoddy and unreliable so have learnt to do many jobs myself. The only jobs I won't do are those where there is a significant outlay on tools that won't get used often or, where there is a high safety risk e.g. roofing.

Recently had a tree surgeon to cut three trees, but his idea of cleaning up was to use a leaf blower to blow everything to the side of the garden. I made him pick it up like he agreed to when he took the job on.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Seriously? This is an issue worthy of a thread?? :eek:

In isolation...probably no, but in general yes. I think the OP has a point that some workmen are shysters and take many customers for a ride, particularly the vulnerable (i.e.elderly).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In isolation...probably no, but in general yes. I think the OP has a point that some workmen are shysters and take many customers for a ride, particularly the vulnerable (i.e.elderly).
Yes, I'm sure you're correct in general but this is stimulated by a garden shed 0.5" too small. This doesn't qualify as shoddy workmanship. If the OP is upset perhaps he should speak to whoever did the work. There may well be a sound reason.

As for 0 5"? Utterly ridiculous.

10 * 8 ft is 3.048 * 2.438 m. Was it a metric measurements (appropriately rounded) 3 * 2.4?

If so, blame those dastardly EU metric bods for robbing you.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We have just had two bathrooms ripped out and refitted. Not entirely happy, new resin shower tray broke across the corners, wasn’t supported underneath ! The annoying thing was when it was first laid it was not level so had to call him back before the tiler came to sort it. I’d say that’s a school boy error ! Other bathroom mucked up with the radiator position resulting in having to cut bigger holes in newly tiled floor. Yes he was cheaper than a lot but it still came to £12-£13k for both bathrooms all in. All fixed now free of charge but it just leaves a sour taste.

Top Bottom