Titanium Folder - Kickstarter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Agreed. Can't see any reason why not increasing the length of the tiny horizontal brace to a full triangulation.

23.16 x 38 / 11 = 80. The gearing range seems sensible to me, and in any case can easily be raised by a larger chainring.

I prefer my folder to have rim brakes, and for the design DP calipers might have been possible - discs are just too easily bent when knocked about in the boot etc. Having said that I like it a lot, if they can deliver it at the price. It is what a modern Brompton should be like and I really hope these guys succeed - Brompton have rested on their laurels for too long.

Thanks. I was going to contradict you as well but I double checked and you're right on the 80" GI, I must have hit a 6 instead of an 8 when I bashed the chainring size into my calculator. Apologies to TheDoctor.

However, for me it's still too low. I don't want to be riding in the bottom two sprockets on the flat. I don't think it's as simple as just swopping out to a larger chainring, or at least not a considerably larger ring (i.e 50t) as in the FAQs it raises the issue of fouling the frame with larger rings. Hopefully, they will clarify the max usable size soon.

The rotors are more vulnerable. Whether better braking in the wet and the lack of rim wear are an acceptable trade off is going to depend on how you transport the bike when folded (and the frequency of course).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3889597, member: 259"]I think it looks very nice, but I've learned the dangers of being an early adopter of anything, so I'm out.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I can't see myself investing at this stage. However, I'm off to Canada next Summer so there will hopefully be some reviews and feedback by then. Perhaps warranty claims over the rear swing arm...

It's already had a bit of an airing in the Chedech thread, it looks good for the price, very Montague like, but I'd like to see how some of the claims (e.g. smallest folded) stack up in reality against other bikes.

More power to their elbow.

Yeah, the PR spin on the "smallest folded" is BS. It's the smallest 24" wheel folder that I can see, but hardly in Brommie territory.

The wheeling of the bike by the saddle is very smooth, by the looks of it.

Last edited:

zigzag

Veteran
i like the concept, however the time-trial bike geometry isn't best suited for the folding bike, also to ride in this island without mudguards - not something i'd be looking to do, especially as the dirt would not allow to slide the seatpost down

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
i like the concept, however the time-trial bike geometry isn't best suited for the folding bike, also to ride in this island without mudguards - not something i'd be looking to do, especially as the dirt would not allow to slide the seatpost down

I agree on the mudguards, but it looks like they're planning on making the frame mudguard compatible as the development process continues.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member

The kickstart page says "Helix will support a range of bicycle accessories such as mud guards, racks, lights and more."

Can you explain why you feel it has a TT bike geometry? Within the confines of a single frame size and a single handlebar height common to most folders, which dimensional/handling issue do you see?

zigzag

Veteran
the seat tube angle is very steep (77deg) which makes you fall forward in normal riding position. with aerobars it's great as all your body is rotated forward in reference to bb. falling forward is the main cause of numb and tingly fingers on longer rides.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I quite like the look of this, @Origamist have you looked into any import duty, VAT, etc that you might be liable for?

Don't be daft - that would involve proper research!

I've never imported a bike from N America (and don't plan to) but I guess you'll get a 20% VAT hit and (is it) 14% duty? That's from the total cost though - bike, shipping and insurance etc and it would make the price a lot less appealing. Someone else might have a better idea on the costs though. That's why I would take it back in a suitcase!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Don't be daft - that would involve proper research!

I've never imported a bike from N America (and don't plan to) but I guess you'll get a 20% VAT hit and (is it) 14% duty? That's from the total cost though - bike, shipping and insurance etc and it would make the price a lot less appealing. Someone else might have a better idea on the costs though. That's why I would take it back in a suitcase!

I bought a Cannondale back from America 20 years ago, the nice customs man didn't charge me any duty/vat or anything, he said as a bike was fabricated from individual components, none of which added up to the threshold figure, it didn't qualify. I think he fancied me. :girl:

When I bought something off Kick Starter shipping charges and import duties have been included in the price.

I sort of assumed that was the standard practice.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I bought a Cannondale back from America 20 years ago, the nice customs man didn't charge me any duty/vat or anything, he said as a bike was fabricated from individual components, none of which added up to the threshold figure, it didn't qualify. I think he fancied me. :girl:

I can imagine in your youth that you had something of the Rutger Hauer about you - so it's v likely that he would have been instantly smitten...

When I bought something off Kick Starter shipping charges and import duties have been included in the price.

I sort of assumed that was the standard practice.

Really?! I hope that's the case, but I can't believe you would be able dodge HMRC so easily...

Kell

Veteran
I don't think it's direct competition for a Brompton, but against other full-sized folders, it's an interesting premise.

It folds way smaller than any of my previous full-sized bikes, and it looks to be more useful than an Airnimal or Montague because you don't have to take the front wheel off. For commuting, rather than just storage, ease of fold is key, and taking wet wheels off is not easy to do on a packed station platform while you're trying to squeeze onto a train.

Hope it makes it.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Looking at the folded dimensions of the Helix, it's actually not that far off the Brompton. It's certainly more compact than a lot of 20" folders - which is really quite impressive, given the 24" wheels. If the folding mechanism is reliable and it rides well, this will be a big step forward.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Looking at the folded dimensions of the Helix, it's actually not that far off the Brompton. It's certainly more compact than a lot of 20" folders - which is really quite impressive, given the 24" wheels. If the folding mechanism is reliable and it rides well, this will be a big step forward.

I compared too, it's same height, 100mm wider and 25mm less in depth. It's a lot lighter though, something like 6 or 7lbs which is a consideration if you need the carry the thing for any distance. Wonder if the kickstarter is in the C2W...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I compared too, it's same height, 100mm wider and 25mm less in depth. It's a lot lighter though, something like 6 or 7lbs which is a consideration if you need the carry the thing for any distance. Wonder if the kickstarter is in the C2W...
It looks as if this rolls ok folded up too so hopefully carrying would be limited to stairs and on/off stuff, but fair do's, they are the places where less weight is a boon.

Top Bottom