Titanium Folder - Kickstarter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
This has caught my eye:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/330901966/helixtm-the-worlds-best-folding-bike
d838cfebdf48aa0604a5cd52bf4f9b0b_original.jpg

2ac5c254fe96fe2145ef1ec8cefab805_original.jpg

The price is very good compared to Brommies. Folded size obviously larger with 24" wheels, but it's still compact and the folding mechanism is clever.

I hope it rides as well as it looks...

• 10 Speed Derailleur: 1700 CAD (approx 1300 USD, 1140 Euro)
I might invest!

Last edited:
Sitting folded in that car boot it looks enormous

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
The swingarm looks feeble.

If I go for one, I'll report back with any mechanical failures! I've trashed a Brommie, Birdy and Trek folder in the past, so I have form...

Sitting folded in that car boot it looks enormous

At least they were able to squeeze two in the boot!

I'm a little more worried about the limitations on chainring size. If it can't accommodate a significantly bigger chainring without fouling the frame, it's a non-starter for me (it comes with a default 38t).

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If I go for one, I'll report back with any mechanical failures! I've trashed a Brommie, Birdy and Trek folder in the past, so I have form...

At least they were able to squeeze two in the boot!

I'm a little more worried about the limitations on chainring size. If it can't accommodate a significantly bigger chainring without fouling the frame, it's a non-starter for me (it comes with a default 38t).

The gearing is a good point, although the bike does have 24" wheels so it might be similar to the middle ring on a 26" mountain bike.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, a 38T chainring gives an 81 inch gear, and hence 27 mph at a cadence of about 100. How fast do you want to go on a folder?
My Brommie has a 99" top gear. I've never needed it.

....saw this a while back, the product seems very genuine and a real stab at something more than a run-of-the-mill folder, spec sounds great for the money.

Hope they get a UK distributor, so the shipping costs are low, initial interest looks like this is viable proposition.

800 quid - if only I had that much spare dosh - would be worth a gamble I think.............

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
The gearing is a good point, although the bike does have 24" wheels so it might be similar to the middle ring on a 26" mountain bike.

Yes, broadly similar, but a bit lower.

Well, a 38T chainring gives an 81 inch gear, and hence 27 mph at a cadence of about 100. How fast do you want to go on a folder?

With the 38t and 11-36 default set-up, you're looking at 23" to 76" GI. I'd like more top end than that, but I think the majority of folder users would prob agree with you.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Having down-geared the Brommie for touring use, I really miss the original big top gear on my S6L for downhill and hooning along on the flat. So much so that I'm looking to upgrade to a double chainring and deraileur set-up next year.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I reckon a 52/40 double would work. Can't see an easy way to get a front mech on, but assuming you didn't want to swap chainrings all that often it should be OK.
And 38/11 on a 24 inch wheel is definitely 81 inch on my calculator...

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
I reckon a 52/40 double would work. Can't see an easy way to get a front mech on, but assuming you didn't want to swap chainrings all that often it should be OK.
And 38/11 on a 24 inch wheel is definitely 81 inch on my calculator...

The designer says the frame is suitable for single ring applications only, but there might be a bodge...

The wheels are nominally 24" - but even with the stock 507/40 tyres the actual circumference is only a smidge over 23". This is why the GI is not as high as your calculator suggests.

Last edited:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The swingarm looks feeble.

Agreed. Can't see any reason why not increasing the length of the tiny horizontal brace to a full triangulation.

The wheels are nominally 24" - but even with the stock 507/40 tyres the actual circumference is only a smidge over 23". This is why the GI is not as high as your calculator suggests.

23.16 x 38 / 11 = 80. The gearing range seems sensible to me, and in any case can easily be raised by a larger chainring.

I prefer my folder to have rim brakes, and for the design DP calipers might have been possible - discs are just too easily bent when knocked about in the boot etc. Having said that I like it a lot, if they can deliver it at the price. It is what a modern Brompton should be like and I really hope these guys succeed - Brompton have rested on their laurels for too long.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It's already had a bit of an airing in the Chedech thread, it looks good for the price, very Montague like, but I'd like to see how some of the claims (e.g. smallest folded) stack up in reality against other bikes.

More relatively affordable, conventional (ovno) looking, quality folders making the genre more mainstream can only be a good thing for, particularly vs LRT urban tram systems, encouraging transport authorities to engage and support multi modal travel rather than prohibition on access to your bike at both ends of a journey.

More power to their elbow.

Top Bottom