To Bonj with love

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Another thing I'll mention is that I have been posting A LOT recently. If things go according to plan then this will soon change, as my boredom may be relieved :biggrin: :biggrin:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
bonj said:
Things that annoy me:
  • Deliberate mis-spelling, e.g. 'peddle'

• You may want to check a dictionary at some point. Always makes me smile when someone corrects others while making a similar mistake. :biggrin:

peejay78

hi bonj,
thought you might like to know:

i was wearing my new arm warmers on my legs whilst riding my folding fixed at 42mph the other day, behind a bus - another cause of climate change - across london (the most glorious of cities and simultaneous embodiment of dreams and nightmares), you know, the junction where theobald's road turns into proctor street, you must know it, everyone knows where it is and also is acutely aware of the phasing of the traffic lights, when i couldn't help but think that if i peddled a bit faster in a bodysuit made of wax, i might just be able to improve my cadence even more than i have already through my adept and skilful use of roadie-style spd peddles.

MarkF

Guru
I don't know this Bonj character, I'm new, but I have read some of his posts with interest:smile:

I only contribute regularly to one other, a watch related one, after several bust up's provoked, by a "Bonj type" character a password protected soapbox equivalent was set up. Now only a few, the same old few, venture in there to argue the toss, everywhere else, nobody dares step out of line.

The forum has gone down then pan. Somebody can post the biggest pile of drivel showing a pic of the shittiest watch in creation and what happens? Murmers of approval through gritted teeth, it's a farce, nobody wants to "step out of line" and that unwritten, unspoken PC rule can quickly render a forum less than useless.

Forums where everybody gets on are mind numbingly boring. The spikiest posters are often the most prolific and informative (or else why would they be on here) and are of much more long term value to a forum than people like me who pop in and out for a bit of knowledge.

I am miles away from sussing out who is who and what is what on here but I'd would not stick around if in was a big love-in, yuk!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
MarkF said:
I don't know this Bonj character, I'm new, but I have read some of his posts with interest:smile:

I only contribute regularly to one other, a watch related one, after several bust up's provoked, by a "Bonj type" character a password protected soapbox equivalent was set up. Now only a few, the same old few, venture in there to argue the toss, everywhere else, nobody dares step out of line.

The forum has gone down then pan. Somebody can post the biggest pile of drivel showing a pic of the shittiest watch in creation and what happens? Murmers of approval through gritted teeth, it's a farce, nobody wants to "step out of line" and that unwritten, unspoken PC rule can quickly render a forum less than useless.

Forums where everybody gets on are mind numbingly boring. The spikiest posters are often the most prolific and informative (or else why would they be on here) and are of much more long term value to a forum than people like me who pop in and out for a bit of knowledge.

I am miles away from sussing out who is who and what is what on here but I'd would not stick around if in was a big love-in, yuk!

Very true :biggrin:

I'm a complete newb to this forum, and to cycling in general really but have been active on a marine fish keeping forum for a few Years now.

On there, in the beginning, there were contraversial posts and arguments but as the site grew and got more commercial, all that was slowly crushed out of it.
Its still a great place, but lots don't post anymore because its lost its spark.

FWIW, as a newbie here, I've enjoyed Bonj's posts, and the banter that surrounds them. I've also read some good advice dished out in them too.
A lively "debate" keeps things healthy, in my opinion anyway :biggrin:

Hugs to cyclebum too, hopefully you'll stick around, this seems a great place to me :biggrin:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Also do realise though, that some topics are very debatable and thus do tend to generate more opinionated hot-headedness, and from more than just me - the eternal 'mtb vs roadie' thing being a prime example, it would be very surprising if a long thread on the difference between mtb and road went by without some disagreement.

The point is, there are different ways to disagree. A polite way would be to say "Well, I know a lot of people think X, but I've always thought Y and because..." - with the 'because' preferably being down to experience.

Your way is very often worded, "Y is a load of crap. Don't get it.". And based on no experience whatsoever, just your own personal opinions. That's not debate, it's not helpful, and it ignores the fact that in cycling, as in so many areas of life, there is often no rigid right and wrong, just choices and preferences.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cyclebum, you could always "ignore" bonj - by adding him to your forum ignore list. That way you mostly don't have to read what he writes. I would personally describe bonj as a troll - I think arguing with him simply keeps him happy, so don't engage.

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Cyclebum, you could always "ignore" bonj - by adding him to your forum ignore list. That way you mostly don't have to read what he writes. I would personally describe bonj as a troll - I think arguing with him simply keeps him happy, so don't engage.

Personally I would ban these ignore lists as people seem to be only using them as a type of weapon. If you don't want to read what someone writes just skip over it.

Chris James

Über Member
I quite enjoy a lot fo Bonj's posts. Mostly because they are totally daft and are (presumably) posted as a jokey self parody.

For example I like his his list of things he disgrees with (how can you disgaree with mudguards? although since he could start an argument in an empty room then maybe he can argue with inanimate objects?)

I think he sometimes stretches the jokey argumentativeness a bit far, especially since he refuses to ever back down or agree to differ. Then it can get less funny.

On his original point about roadies waving then I think he is SO wrong. But then again I like mudguards, think cadence is an important tool, believe in global warming and if I were to buy a MTB I'd get a hardtail and ride on it in my bib shorts.

I agree with him about London though.

bonj2

Chris James said:
how can you disgaree with mudguards?
Because people make out they're essential but I've never needed them.

Chris James said:
On his original point about roadies waving then I think he is SO wrong.
Pedantic I know but I can't help pointing out I can't be wrong - as I've only ever described my experience - I'm not generalising. Are you saying I'm lying about what I've seen? :biggrin: There's probably a more appropriate thread for this discussion - http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4039

Chris James

Über Member
bonj said:
Pedantic I know but I can't help pointing out I can't be wrong - as I've only ever described my experience - I'm not generalising. Are you saying I'm lying about what I've seen? :biggrin: There's probably a more appropriate thread for this discussion - http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4039

Nope, you are just wrong.

In much the same way as buses are wrong.

:biggrin:

By the way mudguards keep your chain nice and clean and are a GOOD THING. You saying that you don't need them is like me saying that I don't need a windscreen on my car - technically accurate, but is a nicer experience with one. Of course if you don't go out on wet roads then it doesn't matter.

bonj2

Chris James said:
By the way mudguards keep your chain nice and clean and are a GOOD THING. You saying that you don't need them is like me saying that I don't need a windscreen on my car - technically accurate, but is a nicer experience with one. Of course if you don't go out on wet roads then it doesn't matter.

Well, I can only assume that I ride fast enough to get out of the way of the mud that flies up before it hits me and instead it just lands back on the road.

bonj said:
Well, I can only assume that I ride fast enough to get out of the way of the mud that flies up before it hits me and instead it just lands back on the road.

ROFLMAO

cheered my morning - Thanks

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yup that made me laugh too. Made me think of a dog chasing its tail round and round and never catching it...

bonj2

Well ... :biggrin: LOL... it seems funny i admit but if I can't see any mud on my clothes then I can't really see why I should consider mudguards at all necessary. I obviously get muddy when riding my mtb off-road, but I don't have to turn up at work then and am more than likely going to wash those clothes and have a shower when I get back anyway. On the road bike I never get muddy, even in the rain.

Top Bottom