To Bonj with love

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
cyclebum said:
As I prepare for a weekend of cycling in the Cotswolds (locals beware:smile:) I just thought I would check that I am not annoying bonj and seek approval that I know how to wear the clothing I am taking.

1. cycle shorts, worn as normal shorts and intended to protect my delicate 'cyclebum':blush:
2. leggins, to help keep my nesh legs warm (perhaps I should just learn to PEDAL faster.:biggrin:)
3. cyclejersey, I believe they have benefits when sweating. Of course ladies don't sweat, we glow apparantly:smile:, but they feel comfy and look pretty:becool:
4. Helmet, does this count as clothing, presume it protects my head, though I suppose there could be a debate as to if there is anything in there to protect.:biggrin:
5. fingerless gloves, they help protect my delicate hands.:biggrin:.

I'm sure you'll soon put me right If I've got anything wrong. Meanwhile I had better go and pack.

at this time of year, a helmet is useful protection against falling conkers.

cyclebum said:
As I prepare for a weekend of cycling in the Cotswolds (locals beware:smile:) I just thought I would check that I am not annoying bonj and seek approval that I know how to wear the clothing I am taking.

1. cycle shorts, worn as normal shorts and intended to protect my delicate 'cyclebum':blush:
2. leggins, to help keep my nesh legs warm (perhaps I should just learn to PEDAL faster.:biggrin:)
3. cyclejersey, I believe they have benefits when sweating. Of course ladies don't sweat, we glow apparantly:smile:, but they feel comfy and look pretty:becool:
4. Helmet, does this count as clothing, presume it protects my head, though I suppose there could be a debate as to if there is anything in there to protect.:biggrin:
5. fingerless gloves, they help protect my delicate hands.:biggrin:.

I'm sure you'll soon put me right If I've got anything wrong. Meanwhile I had better go and pack.

If you're going to wear (just) that in UK in October, no wonder you were worried about it being a bit hotter in India.

Or you're more of an optimist than me about the weather ! :biggrin:

Bonj has his opinions, I have mine, you have yours. Other then the fact bonj drinks cof***e he's ok.

Although I have only been here about a week. :biggrin:

Ah yes, the transparent cellophane rainhat which folds-up incredibly small and every woman over 80 carries in her handbag 'just in case'
(this sounds unpleasantly like a condom - unpleasant in the context of being carried by 80-yr olds...:biggrin:)

You don't really wear one if it rains do you Patrick ? :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Well I'm back, I survived and had a great time. Don't want to sound too boastful but what the heck. I'm not too worried about cycling in India anymore:biggrin: there were about 30 of us and a very mixed bunch but I was easily cycling up with the front runners. I took on board much of the advice I have recieved from various members here and I can safetly say I think I may be getting the hang of this.:biggrin::biggrin:
We covered 37miles on Saturday and 38 miles yesturday and I'm still walking.
We started off from a place called Lower Quinton not far from Stratford in the region of Chipping Camden. We cycled through Chipping Camden yesturday and I have to say the whole area is so lovely. We had lunch both days at a pub called the Fleece, a beautiful place apparantly owned by the National Trust. On Saturday morning we were given the challenge of a hill, apparantly 1:4 and deceptivley long. I started up with 5 others ahead. 2 I overtook quite early on but both stopped shortly after, 2 were already off as I passed but the remaining 1 kept going. By this time there was no technique except trying to breathe and just keep turning the pedals while thinking if she can do it so can I, and we both did:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (or should that really be xx(xx(:biggrin:). I have to say not many did it in 1 go without stopping.
As for clothing, just shorts and short sleeves which I think is amazing for October, though I did need my shower jacket to start off with. As for my packamack I don't think I've seen mine since primary school!
Put into perspective many of you could have done our routes twice before lunch, we had many regrouping stops and the pace at times was quite slow to help pace the slower ones at the back, but we still got some oppotunities at the front to pick up the pace and had some great runs which had those of us that did it feeling quite exhilerated.
So enough of my self praise and thanks for your support.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There! I told you you so... You sound perfectly fine to me. Those are the sort of rides lengths I'd choose for fun. Especially if I was promised a pub lunch.:biggrin:

And 38 miles, well, you might as well call that 40, because 2 more miles would be no effort really. If you can do 40, two days running, you can do 50. Or 60. At least that's been my experience. Whatever training you're doing, I'd say you're doing fine.

"By this time there was no technique except trying to breathe and just keep turning the pedals"

In the end you know, that pretty much sums up all cycling. Or indeed, life...:biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
WELL DONE cyclebum! :biggrin:... or ...:biggrin: .. or :biggrin::thumbsup: even !

Is the thingy known as a 'pack-a-mac' not now known around here as a 'lightweight cycling rain jacket' ???:biggrin:

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

21st century packamack, interesting concept though nothing like the plastic ones I remember from my childhood my mother telling me about :biggrin:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
andy_wrx said:
Ah yes, the transparent cellophane rainhat which folds-up incredibly small and every woman over 80 carries in her handbag 'just in case'.

As a 6 year old kid my ""loving"" Mother put her 'spare' rainhat on my head when we got off the bus and it was pishing down.

Dry hair = 100%
Street cred = -100% (Dig a hole ! I want to die !!!)

Top Bottom