To Italian club or not to Italian club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I’ve always wanted to learn Italian & i’m looking to get away there later in the year.
I saw locally there’s various ways to learn but one place does an Italian Club. It doesn’t look as though it’s structured just gives basic info online about what it’s about. Group of people learning basic Italian. When I called they said it’s a mixed group & everyone tries to help each other out.
What I really want is a) to learn basic Italian & b) meet new people.
I don’t want to waste money showing up & seeing it’s all full of people I have nothing in common with who all know the language & I feel out of my depth.
I’m kinda limited with other local classes because of work.
Suggestions?

As with all clubs go once then decide fir yourself.

DRM

Guru
Have a look at Duolingo, you can access it on windows, get the app for android/ios & best of all it,s free to use, I have had a go at French & Italian, I've found that the lessons do stick as when you see writing in that language you can understand it, give it a go there's nothing to loose.

Italian and Italians are wonderful. The basics of the language are easy, and Italians are so keen to communicate and flattered that you have made an effort that you can get a long way with little study.

My first trip to Italy, I was able to communicate by just following this cd once (plus extra nouns from growing up in an Italian neighborhood and from passing French and Latin.) He is very annoying, but it really works.

Give yourself a head start, then follow Markymark advice. If you have to pay for more than just one meet to try it, then I'd say it's a scam.

Also search meetup.com eg https://www.meetup.com/Newcastle-Upon-Tyne-Italian-Language-Meetup/

s-l640.jpg

So, is it Shirley Valentine or Eat, Pray, Love? :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Duolingo. Memrise (I think this new one is better than the former).

Italian is easier than you might think as the way that things are said is very standardised, once you work out the swaps from english with vowel sounds it makes sense. Also rules on stressing syllables.

Italian club sounds good, wish I'd have had something like that, but give it a go and see how it is.

Paul Noble CDs v cheap compared to Michel Thomas. The Michel Thomas italian course gets lambasted because he exaggerates too much.

If you want to give Italian a go I'd watch some OneWorldItaliano on youtube. this has been going for a few years now and is pretty good. The other thing now is that youtube's AI subtitling gets it pretty spot on now if you want words as well.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'll be in the Peterborough Italian club in a few weeks as our club always has its prize giving in there :laugh:

I used to live behind the Fleet..very handy for Northern Soul all niters.
Lovely spot looking out over the lake

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Try and learn a few phrases somehow first and listen/read as much as you can so you get some sense of the shape of it. There must be some Italian news radio online if nothing else (although the Vatican used to be dry)... that tends to be one of the easiest ways to start IMO, especially if you've checked the news recently in your native language, as names are generally similar and anchor the stories. Then go along and give it a go! Good luck!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You've already had some good advice about the Michel Thomas CDs and the Italian Meetup group, that's exactly how I started. The listen & repeat CD course will give you enough language to be comfortable attending the Meetup events. I then got the Pimsleur Italian course which, although expensive, is excellent. You'll often find it available in your local library if you don't want to spend that amount of money.

Practise regularly and use the Meetup events to try out what you've learned and ask advice. Your local group charges only £6 per year, which is excellent value.

After a couple of years teaching myself, I enrolled at a local college for formal classes and loved it, thanks to having a wonderful teacher. I still go to my monthly Meetup event as it gives me continued access to native speakers with whom I can chat.

Get stuck in and if you want any learning tips I'll be happy to share what worked for me (although everyone is different).

In bocca al lupo!

Top Bottom