To Overtake or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As with many questions of this type, the answer is 'it depends'.

Generally I would say we should avoid excessively exceeding the new 20mph limit or overtaking other road users that are traveling at or close to the 20 limit.

The limit is predominantly for safety, partly for environmental reasons and partly about quality of life for the people living in these areas. I don't care if you argue that your 100kg of combined body/bike mass is statistically far less likely to kill or maim any pedestrian you collide with! If you end up in a tangled heap on the floor with an elderly person who wasn't expecting a fast moving cyclist to fly past a slower car, or a child that (predictably?) suddenly runs into the road, then there is still a good chance one, or both, of you will require hospitalisation and it will be your fault.

Exercise some restraint and don't take risks. I don't think we can say, yes you should overtake or no you should wait. Every location, situation and circumstances are different and every case must be treated individually. There is no answer, but I would suggest your default position should be to not overtake except in exceptional cases.

Alex321

Veteran
I have a steep descent near me that starts as a 40mph limit and drops to 30mph, I daren't overtake anyone because it's pointless, once at the bottom of the hill they'll all be overtaking me again anyway, why add extra problems?

There is one particular section of road I ride sometimes, which is a 30 limit that then turns into a 40, and I have more than once passed the 40 sign already doing around 40. But that particular road is a wide one with good visibility, and that speed is normally perfectly safe.

It is rarely as busy as in this streetview image
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.515...4sYQ3k3LEDgYqTAg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Slick

Guru
I'd never overtake a car where it is travelling as fast as it it is legally going or wants to as I have no idea if it is being driven by a petty minded fool who is now annoyed a cyclist overtook them and wants some sort of revenge.

I actually prefer to stay begind the 'lead' vehicle if it is slower (mostly on downhills) especially if there is something behind me, that way the people behind can see it is not me that is holding them up.

Is it wrong I have been made to feel that way, perhaps, but for my own enjoyment of cycling thats what I prefer.
I don't think its wrong to feel that way, I think it just makes sense.

gbb

Legendary Member
First question you'd need to ask yourself, does a 20mph limit apply to motorists, motorcyclists....or road users?
As a cyclist on the road, you're a road user. That may be central to whether you're culpable if anything goes wrong.
Also, I suspect if something did go wrong and you swiped a ped, or a kid, caused injury or worse to anyone...you'd be highly highly susceptible to the consequences.

Personally, I broke the law, jumped red lights if I thought it safe and no one was around...but equally, i fully accept the consequences if I got caught or worse, caused injury or damage. Its really quite simple, the law is there for a reason, break it and risk the consequences.

Alex321

Veteran
First question you'd need to ask yourself, does a 20mph limit apply to motorists, motorcyclists....or road users?

It applies to motor vehicles. That is the law.
As a cyclist on the road, you're a road user. That may be central to whether you're culpable if anything goes wrong.
Also, I suspect if something did go wrong and you swiped a ped, or a kid, caused injury or worse to anyone...you'd be highly highly susceptible to the consequences.
Well yes, there are laws relating to cycling dangerously, or cycling carelessly or inconsiderately, which are very similar to those for motor vehicles.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/I/crossheading/cycling-offences-and-cycle-racing

Personally, I broke the law, jumped red lights if I thought it safe and no one was around...but equally, i fully accept the consequences if I got caught or worse, caused injury or damage. Its really quite simple, the law is there for a reason, break it and risk the consequences.

It is, but the law on speeding only applies to motor vehicles.

Reactions: gbb

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Law regardless, obviously cyclists shouldn't overtake above a 20mph speed limit as it would be a twattish way to behave.

would it be twattish to overtake traffic going at 10 or 15 mph?

Our village went 20mph but mostly cars go slower due to conditions surrounding parking, visibility peaks / dips affecting visibility and pedestrians need to zigzag across the road due to pavements ending on their side to start on the other only to change back again very quickly.

Most cars if not all go slower than 20mph because the consequences of hitting a pedestrian which is high. The pedestrians have to cross by stepping out between parked vehicles and visibility for them and for drivers seeing them is poor to say the least. It's the conditions and circumstances than dictate motorists speeds there.

Having said that we've had passing abuse from a MAMIL cycling through above the speed limit we estimated at the time as we stepped out to get visibility of traffic. We did not see the fast cyclist as he was coming over a rise, close to the parked vehicles, head down going for a time we thought. Our village gets a lot of cyclists and we do see these idiots riding in an unsafe manner. Not their problem, everyone else's!

I say than no matter what your first responsibility is your safety, second is that of others, third is obeying the laws or regulations that apply to you and way down the list is your right to enjoy speed of your choice or ability.

How this applies to the OPs situation I don't know not having ridden there. Safety was the reason vehicles were restricted. The safety reasons apply to you as a cyclist then overtaking is a big no from me. I don't hold with the lower weight causing less harm. It still causes harm.

I got hit by a close passing cyclist once as a pedestrian. Just a clip of a handlebar and shoulder, it hurt. The cyclist felt it too as there's a decent mass behind me being 196cm tall and average weight for a moderately fit person my height. If I had been a child it would have been more serious.

Solocle

Über Member
There is one particular section of road I ride sometimes, which is a 30 limit that then turns into a 40, and I have more than once passed the 40 sign already doing around 40. But that particular road is a wide one with good visibility, and that speed is normally perfectly safe.

It is rarely as busy as in this streetview image
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.515...4sYQ3k3LEDgYqTAg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

There's one in Yorkshire I rode a few times when living there, and last time on my LEJOG, where the speed limit drops from NSL to 30. The NSL is a somewhat twisty forested section, that then opens out into a straight fast descent. Then the 30 sign rushes at you.
IMG_1423.JPG

Umm, shall we say, "oops"?
1691668276767.png

I did once overtake a car down there.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Go for it if you can do so safely.

When the limits reduced round here they initially changed every 30 to a 20. Some have now reverted to 30, including one long downhill on a wide road with no property frontages on which it's easy to maintain 30+ mph.

So yes, I did overtake several motor vehicles while their limit was 20.
No one died or got upset.

Is there a speed at which filtering becomes overtaking?

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom