To the bloke that overtook me last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Once overtook a fellow roadie and I had to up the speed as he was on my back wheel, after about 1.5 miles doing about 24mph I had to take a pretend detour down a cul-de-sac just to get my breath back.

TijnUK

:smile:

Newbee here, not so much on the bike but more with English.

Great stories but can anyone explain where RLJ stands for so I am not only laughing to be polite.

I amagine Ride Like J....:smile:

potsy

Rambler
TijnUK said:
:biggrin:

Newbee here, not so much on the bike but more with English.

Great stories but can anyone explain where RLJ stands for so I am not only laughing to be polite.

I amagine Ride Like J....:ohmy:
red light jumping.:smile:

Dr Jon

I hate cyclists who draft me. Most of my evenings when I am commuting home the same roadie sits on my tail for 4 miles. My speed averages 14mph over the distance, and he never drops off or over takes, and he has the oppertunity to as the cycle track has plently of room.

potsy

Rambler
TijnUK said:
:ohmy:
Thanks Potsy. Does make a bit more sence now.
You're welcome pal,there is a thread somewhere which explains a lot of these,some of which you'll never get or use in a million years:smile:
it's like another world on here- sometimes I feel very old :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Catrike UK said:
A few weeks ago I was test riding a customers 700 that I had just given an overhaul to, I passed a roadie who then decided the race was on, we were on a slight uphill and he eased past near the top before it drops into a 3 mile descent, we were both knackered by then, he looked at the down hill then at me before saying "bollocks", I gave him a smile then made the jump into hyperspace, 3 miles later I had got my breath back and was thanking God that I had managed to climb so well.

Reminds me of a trip to France a few years back, 8 of us on various 'bents, including Mike Burrows on his Ratcatcher. As we waited to turn out of a side road, a French roadie went past, and Mike pulled out after him and hung on his tail, apparently effortlessly. After the first 'WTF!'* double take glance over his shoulder, the roadie tried his hardest to get away, but Mike just sat behind him. Halfway up the next hill, the roadie turned off - we always wondered if he'd always meant to, or was just getting away....

*for TijnUK, WTF stands for 'what the.... ?(insert four letter word starting with F)'.:ohmy:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Kestevan said:
I think you're missing the point.

I know, I was just going off on a slight (and pointless but I knew what I was doing) tangent in saying that if you stayed on my back wheel just because I overtook you earlier I wouldn't be amused, I wasn't referring to it happening instantly as you lot were as, frankly I'd never dream of doing that to anyone, that's all.

colly

Re member eR
I don't commute by bike so I never have to deal with people leap-frogging me in traffic but something I do have happen quite often is that I will be out and maybe see a cyclist in the distance and bit by bit, going at my own pace I will get ever closer.
Then when I am behind them, and maybe decide they are just a bit too slow for me to sit there for another 5 miles or more, I'll change down and up the speed a tad to get round quickly. As soon as they know I am coming round them, from nowhere a sudden burst of speed develops and I am left behind them again.
Now I don't mind that as such but 50 m down the road they slow down and I am left on their back wheel wondering should I match their speed or do I up mine.

If I step on the gas ( as much as a 58 yr old can anyway)
I am pretty soon putting in more effort than I want to, and guaranteed he will be behind me just dying to show me how good he is.:ohmy: I really don't care

And it is always blokes.:biggrin:

I'm not looking to race anyone but some buggers really do not like being passed.

colinr

Think yourselves lucky that you get to play at commuter races, opposition are few and far between here and mostly going the opposite direction to me ;)

Top Bottom