To those who hate cyclists filtering....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

In fact the HC agrees with me! :biggrin:

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

The cars are turning right and are being held up by other cars that will have turned right.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I disagree. They are not being prevented in doing so by oncoming traffic or other vehicles waiting to turn right. They are sat there because the road they want to join is not clear and accordingly

You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear

OP
OP
M

magnatom

4F said:
I disagree. They are not being prevented in doing so by oncoming traffic or other vehicles waiting to turn right. They are sat there because the road they want to join is not clear and accordingly

You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear

But they are turning right to join the road and the way that junction works it only starts queuing back due to vehicles that have come from my right (in the video) turning right.

Anyway the legalities aside, there are never any practical problems at that junction, and they do not block any other traffic. The whole point of the box is to reduce congestion, and believe it or not, the main congestion is often from the side road! So the more cars that get out from there the better. :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
magnatom said:
But they are turning right to join the road and the way that junction works it only starts queuing back due to vehicles that have come from my right (in the video) turning right.

Anyway the legalities aside, there are never any practical problems at that junction, and they do not block any other traffic. The whole point of the box is to reduce congestion, and believe it or not, the main congestion is often from the side road! So the more cars that get out from there the better. :biggrin:

I agree in theory I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing as otherwise they could effectively be sitting in the side road all day waiting to get out.

However by the letter of the law imho it is still technically in breach of the HC 174

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
A very satisfying video indeed Dr B.

Normally I don't have to deal with that kind of traffic, but the railway bridge closures in Winchester have ramped up the traffic on my trip to the station in a morning so I've been doing some very minor filtering myself. It's nice leaving a glowing trail of smug behind you.:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

4F said:
I agree in theory I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing as otherwise they could effectively be sitting in the side road all day waiting to get out.

However by the letter of the law imho it is still technically in breach of the HC 174

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one (unless we have a HC lawyer on CC :biggrin:).

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Bollo said:
A very satisfying video indeed Dr B.

Normally I don't have to deal with that kind of traffic, but the railway bridge closures in Winchester have ramped up the traffic on my trip to the station in a morning so I've been doing some very minor filtering myself. It's nice leaving a glowing trail of smug behind you.:biggrin:

I was 10 minutes earlier today and the road seemed quieter. I think 10 minutes can make a huge difference.

What is concerning is that a mile or two up the road there is a big development planned (lots of planning issues holding it up at the moment though). I believe it is supposed to have about 500 houses/flats in it. The vast majority of traffic from it will come in this direction. Things are only going to get worse!!:biggrin:

magnatom said:
I think 10 minutes can make a huge difference.

Eh? Ohhhh, I've just re-read this and realised that you said 10 minutes, not 10 millimetres! :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Browser said:
Yyeeaahhhh, rrrriiiight!! :tongue:

OK, 'whaadevva'! :biggrin:

Really? I was Benny Southstreet, Key Theatre Peterborough, 1994. I wanted Sky as well but some other *%&$£#d beat me to it!!

Someone cam up after the show and asked me to pop along to the Paisley Dramatic Society for an audition. I never did. Who knows where I could be now......:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Captain said:
I have just watched the video and I must say Magnatom you have mad skills.

Mad in a good way or mad in a bad way? :tongue:

Seriously though, I don't think I did anything crazy there. Because of the proximity of the cars in the video, it probably look like I was traveling faster than I was.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
I've noticed that - filtering often looks crazy fast, much faster than the reality.

Aye I think it is because the cars being close, appear to pass quicker, and as they take up most of the image give the impression of higher speed. If you can ignore the cars and look at the surrounding buildings etc then you get a better impression of actual speed.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually, I'm surprised that I haven't had the usual 'analysis' of my riding. I'm assuming from that that it was textbook? :tongue::biggrin:

Top Bottom