Today has left me utterly depressed....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I think this sums it up nicely. Motorist having a go at cyclist for selfishly holding him up when theres a five mile long traffic jam in front of them.

It's not that the motorist is a numpty who can't see the big flaw in his own argument; he knows that queue is there every day. What irks him is that a mere cyclist is proving the point to him that his money-pit of a car isn't getting him anywhere as fast and stress free as was promised in the advert.

Oh, and the cyclist has also robbed him of his sole opportunity to accelerate as fast as he wants to the back of said queue. It's the only point in his journey he gets to take the car above 3,000 revs.

GC

snailracer

Über Member
Could try a different route?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm not one for moaning about passes usually and don't get a lot of grief from other road users, but I had a very close pass this morning from a liveried Greater Manchester Police dog van despite my h-viz & multiple lights. I've tweeted the reg no and location and retweeted their #sharetheroad twitter links back to them.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The abuse given to cyclists is extremely cowardly. It seems that women get more of it than men which I suspect is because drivers think they will get away with it more easily. I am fortunate in a way that I am a big bloke and I think this has a lot to do with why I rarely get any abuse. (I'm not as tough as I look but they're not to know that)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
One of the reasons for a motorists disconnect with reality is the way motor cars are advertized. Giving those who drive a car or ride a bike for sport a pass for the sake of my argument a car driver and a cyclists aims are the same. The aim is to transport yourself from where you are to where you want to be. Automobiles are not advertized as a means of comfortably but expensively taking you from home to work and back but as a way of doing this sexily and transporting you via a cloud and a route through Monte Carlo.
So imagine that instead of this heated seat 100 mph quadrophonic experience you get stuck behind a big arsed cyclist:angry: who do you blame?
Oi! :angry: My arse is very toned and muscular, thanks. I'll give you one guess as to why that is... :thumbsup:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
(I'm not as tough as I look but they're not to know that)

Same here - but I've also developed an exceedingly good Paddington Bear Stare to complicate their thought process even further.

Only really had two bad experiences so far that stand out.
The time when a lorry nearly crushed me against a railing and when someone clipped my back tyre as I was moving across a round-a-bout.
Second one the driver actually turned around and came back to check on me and apologise for the fact he hadn't looked properly! Was not expecting that when he pulled up

Found my share of idiots on the road though, cutting me up, not looking when turning and such.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I was telling a non cycling friend about some of the run ins I have had with motorists over the last few months . His reply was to be polite and always ask if they are fully comp before D locking the windscreen . It made me chuckle

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Omfg! Got beeped at again on the way home. Same thing, riding in primary, driver has to wait for oncoming cars to pass, then beeped as he passed. Five minutes later, see same van parked outside shop (parked on pavement) so stopped and waited by drivers door. Driver comes out, young lad, his face fell when he saw me, he was mortified.
"Did you beep me?" I asked.
Anyway long story short he asked me why I was in middle if road. I explained. He then asked why I didn't ride on path. I explained why. I then gave him a bit if a firm but fair lecture. He apologised, we went on our way
That has NEVER happened to me before.

Leodis

Veteran
I don't think drivers will ever know the score, they have no idea how vulnerable we are. That said I get the same amount of good drivers giving me space and hang back or let me pull in as bad drivers giving me punishment passes, tail gating or beeping.

Sara, its swings and roundabouts on the roads, bad drivers or cyclists and good ones.

Top Bottom