Today has left me utterly depressed....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting, yup, I think initial impressions do effect responses. As a six foot four, fifteen stone, shaven headed cyclist, I get very few 'problems' with drivers. I've read loads of threads on various forums about conflict and have often wondered what all the fuss is about. Trying recently to note how vehicles interact, I really feel that the very great majority of drivers treat me perfectly courteously. I've even emailed a couple of local haulage contractors to compliment their drivers driving, got amazing/amazed responses! Attitude seems to play a great part though, I cycle like I drive, very positively, taking primary whenever it suits, eye contact, don't wander about etc etc. Sister in law, petite, blonde, wears pink plastic hat, rides 'in the ditch' has constant problems. Scared witless by cycling, sort of says it all!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Interesting, yup, I think initial impressions do effect responses. As a six foot four, fifteen stone, shaven headed cyclist, I get very few 'problems' with drivers. I've read loads of threads on various forums about conflict and have often wondered what all the fuss is about. Trying recently to note how vehicles interact, I really feel that the very great majority of drivers treat me perfectly courteously. I've even emailed a couple of local haulage contractors to compliment their drivers driving, got amazing/amazed responses! Attitude seems to play a great part though, I cycle like I drive, very positively, taking primary whenever it suits, eye contact, don't wander about etc etc. Sister in law, petite, blonde, wears pink plastic hat, rides 'in the ditch' has constant problems. Scared witless by cycling, sort of says it all!
I also ride very assertively. The majority of problems I have come from drivers who are angered by me riding in primary.
I've questioned myself a lot this week about whether I'm riding in primary inappropriately, but I honestly don't think I am.

Julia9054

Guru
Although female (and an assertive rider), I have very few problems. Maybe it depends where you ride - perhaps Harrogate is just polite!
If I do get beeped, it tends to be a car full of young lads who think they are funny! I give them a cheery wave as they pass. They probably get a bit of a shock when they realise I don't look anywhere near as young and sexy from the front!

oiljam

Active...ish Member
I think driving standards in general are now utterly depressing. A lot of people just seem to be instantly agrivated at the slightest thing. Constantly in a rush making deathly manoeuvres just to get one place further up a line of traffic. I find now that some car drivers speed to you, if you do something that slows them down, just so they can vent their annoyance. Everybody just seems to hate one another now on the roads. Someone stuck two's up at me the other day when I were in my car cos I didn't let him out. I weren't in a queue of traffic, it weren't busy and it was clear after me but he were annoyed instantly because he wanted to be in front. Probably only off for a loaf but an urgent loaf at that.
By the way, I'm a truck driver, car driver and cyclist....and everybody hates me everyday. I am the biggest inconvenience on the road when trucking peoples shopping to the supermarket. I don't try to be slow its just dam heavy to get going. I just find people funny when they get annoyed about clearly nothing. Society has evolved into a must have now, no patience, hateful and selfish form and it's reflected at its best on the roads. It really is quite sad. I hope one day we all learn to live together again, nicely.

clockman

Über Member
I think driving standards in general are now utterly depressing. A lot of people just seem to be instantly agrivated at the slightest thing. Constantly in a rush making deathly manoeuvres just to get one place further up a line of traffic. I find now that some car drivers speed to you, if you do something that slows them down, just so they can vent their annoyance. Everybody just seems to hate one another now on the roads. Someone stuck two's up at me the other day when I were in my car cos I didn't let him out. I weren't in a queue of traffic, it weren't busy and it was clear after me but he were annoyed instantly because he wanted to be in front. Probably only off for a loaf but an urgent loaf at that.
By the way, I'm a truck driver, car driver and cyclist....and everybody hates me everyday. I am the biggest inconvenience on the road when trucking peoples shopping to the supermarket. I don't try to be slow its just dam heavy to get going. I just find people funny when they get annoyed about clearly nothing. Society has evolved into a must have now, no patience, hateful and selfish form and it's reflected at its best on the roads. It really is quite sad. I hope one day we all learn to live together again, nicely.
:thumbsup: I can't agree with this enough. Impatience with life in general is I think the problem. Unfortunately, this ends up as road rage, in various degrees.
Driving standards need to improve. It needs to start with education. How people are taught by the instructor and the influences they are exposed to. If parents constantly shout and swear at cyclists, bus & truck drivers, this will be passed on to their offspring. It then becomes a vicious circle.
But, what is accepted on test by an driving test examiner needs to be re-assessed. The driving test needs to better reflect today's traffic conditions.
When I took my test, 30 plus years ago, I knew I would be asked questions on the Highway Code at the end of the test, so I had to read the Highway Code. It doesn't happen now. People take a theory test and they don't have to read the Highway Code to pass it as a potential new driver!

I very ocasionally lose it, but.....
Had a driver get out of the car in a queue claiming that I was "holding him up" when all I was doing was maintaining a steady pace as opposed to the rapidly accelarate and severe brake that many motorists prefer

So I politely pointed out that he was going nowhere because there was a traffic queue - a point that was lost

I let him pass then sat behind him tooting the AirZound for a few minutes, then drew alongside and asked him why he was "holding me up" before disappearing into the distance

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I just don't think there's enough emphasis on vulnerable road users in driver education.

It's 22 years since my driving test, but recently helped step son through his. It's all about making progress, not holding up others. Drivers apply that to cyclists and peds, and get angry when they have to slow down.

I think the only way forward is Dutch style infrastructure, I don't think you can cancel out the bullying culture of drivers thats developed over decades. until that happens I honestly think that cycling should be a compulsorary part of the driving test - drivers should have to spend a certain number of hours riding in traffic conditions, so that we know that those behind the wheel have got an idea of what cyclists are up against.

A couple of weeks ago I got cut up by a learner car. The driving was unlearner like and I suspect instructer was driving, the car went past me and very rapidly pulled in hard by the kerb so I had to brake.

I emailed the driving school with the reg of the car, but they never bothered to answer

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Would youy mind linking to google maps where you keep getting hassle?
This is one spot. Fairly narrow road, parked cars on both sides reduces it to one cars width. On this road its oncoming vehicles driving straight at me and slamming brakes on at the last minute.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=south view road sheffield&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487982622bc24b47:0x7235be978cf6c1f0,S View Rd, Sheffield&gl=uk&ei=ivCZUofKMYGShQeBmYGwAg&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA

The next two are both similar. Roads that are just two narrow to pass when theres oncoming traffic. They don't look too bad on street view, but feel different in real life and I know from experience that if I use the cycle lane I'll be subjected to one close pass after another. Bare in mind, in the first one I'm generally riding at more or less the speed limit anyway as its downhill all the way. Wheeeeeeee!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=summerfield street&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4879827b44cf9141:0x4ba86b84d4512e9,Summerfield St, Sheffield S11 8HF&gl=uk&ei=rfCZUs2NLoGBhAequIHwBg&ved=0CC8Q8gEwAA

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=derbyshire lane sheffield&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48798257c4b5f717:0x6952e5d632b23e03,Derbyshire Ln, Sheffield&gl=uk&ei=5-yZUsixH_GY0AXzz4DADw&ved=0CFUQ8gEwAw

And another
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wa...UTF-8&ei=a_GZUu0BxqqEB8jRgegL&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for linking.

Back roads too - no excuse from drivers:rolleyes:

There's lots of other back roads round there - why not try different routes? Or use the main road?

Worth a try.

clockman

Über Member
A couple of weeks ago I got cut up by a learner car. The driving was unlearner like and I suspect instructer was driving, the car went past me and very rapidly pulled in hard by the kerb so I had to brake.

I emailed the driving school with the reg of the car, but they never bothered to answer
Welcome to my world! I'm not brave enough to say which part of driver training I'm in, but, I'll bet the I driver in question was late meeting a pupil!
I am constantly amazed at the standard of driving I see from single occupants of driving school cars.
If it was an independent school, I'm not surprised. If a bigger local school or a national school, I'm still not surprised, but, if you have kids coming up to driving age, you are a potential customer. Their instructors actions and their ignoring of your email is not going to encourage you to use them.
But, you've got word of mouth. If you find that relatives, friends and work colleagues are looking to learn to drive, tell them of your experience. Most driving school company's, big or small get a lot of their work through word of mouth recommendations. Just bad mouth them as often as possible^_^.
If you feel that strongly, you need to find out who is in charge of examiner check testing in your area. Write to Driver Training Area Manager, c/o your local test centre (Chertsey or Ashford, if you live in Staines)
Send it so it needs a signature from the centre!

e-rider

crappy member
It's changing. I know so many people getting into cycling. The numbers are unprecedented. It's all over the news and everyone is talking about it.

There will at some point be a critical mass (no reference to organisation). It will take time but I am convinced the tide will turn.
I have to say that the unprecedented numbers are actually making the problem worse. When I cycled 25 years ago, it was very unusual to get beeped at or abuse from drivers whilst commuting, now it happens everyday. There are no doubt a number of reasons for this change, but more cyclists is one of them. It never used to be this way!

400bhp

Guru
I have to say that the unprecedented numbers are actually making the problem worse. When I cycled 25 years ago, it was very unusual to get beeped at or abuse from drivers whilst commuting, now it happens everyday. There are no doubt a number of reasons for this change, but more cyclists is one of them. It never used to be this way!

It might be a reason, but I doubt it's significant.

Driving on the roads now is way different to driving on the roads 25 years ago. Mostly because of the traffic volume which isn't created by cyclists.

Top Bottom