Today... I became a racist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
The only way for buggi to redeem herself is to go on a bike ride with me and User1314.

ok :tongue:

Buggi does seem to get a lot of male drivers beeping at her ;)
and smacking my arse! :huh:

No!

No gloves either.

I'm lucky to be alive...

It was made with a teabag of 'lifeboat' tea, if that helps?

O my God!!! were you wearing waterproofs????

on a more serious note... a Solihull Cyclist was killed this week during a TT. apparently came round an island and then hit from behind. very sad. accomplished cyclist. 2nd one in a short time I believe.

I'm not sure who was at fault, but going on my four bad experiences the last four times i've been out... i'm taking a wild guess it wasn't her fault.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Rheumatism doesn't count.

I prefer -asms!

Tricky thing, the racism. The incomparable Mrs Dr Bollo is of mixed Pakistani/English origin and Muslim while I'm a pure bred Celtic sex god fat white atheist. A strange marriage, but we make it work. The whole family is a bugger's muddle of race and religion anyway.

Based on the eggshells that I've been treading for 20 odd years, for me racism is more about intent than expression. For example, I came home the other day to discover that Southern Electric had dug a dirty great big hole in front of our house. I see Mrs Dr Bollo standing at the doorway, so I point to the hole and shout, "Will you stop trying out yer IEDs in the Close!". Quick as a flash, Mrs Dr Bollo fires back, "Only when the Muslim lands of Winchester are free of the infidel!". This is why I love her so. If you know Winch, you'll appreciate the joke.

If I tried the same weak and tasteless gag outside my Father-in-Law's mosque on a Friday evening I'd probably be given a damn good kicking. In the context of my relationship with my wife - ok, the same joke applied to strangers - not cool. It's about knowing the boundaries. Pushing those boundaries is a very subtle, delicate and sometimes risky activity.

Unfortunately the gladiatorial nature of our roads promotes off-the-cuff outbursts based on crude stereotypes. I'll admit to "Fat c**t", "stupid woman" and "chav w@nker" in the past month (all muttered under my breath - I'm trying hard). All based on prejudice, albeit not racial. In stressful situations, there's no room for the subtle and delicate. I hope I don't have a fundamental problem with the overweight (too close for comfort), female or socially disadvantaged, but it's a tag that you reach for in the heat of the moment. It's not cool, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Unfortunately the gladiatorial nature of our roads promotes off-the-cuff outbursts based on crude stereotypes. I'll admit to "Fat c**t", "stupid woman" and "chav w@nker" in the past month (all muttered under my breath - I'm trying hard). All based on prejudice, albeit not racial. In stressful situations, there's no room for the subtle and delicate. I hope I don't have a fundamental problem with the overweight (too close for comfort), female or socially disadvantaged, but it's a tag that you reach for in the heat of the moment. It's not cool, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Excellent points, thank-you.

As for my post about Addison Lee drivers, I was just suggesting that it is an absolute minefield when anybody mentions "race". That is all.

Maz

Guru
I came home the other day to discover that Southern Electric had dug a dirty great big hole in front of our house. I see Mrs Dr Bollo standing at the doorway, so I point to the hole and shout, "Will you stop trying out yer IEDs in the Close!". Quick as a flash, Mrs Dr Bollo fires back, "Only when the Muslim lands of Winchester are free of the infidel!". This is why I love her so. If you know Winch, you'll appreciate the joke.
If I knew what an IED was I'd appreciate the joke!

[I do know what an IED is, actually, so I do get the joke]

Cheule

I've been cycling to work now for the last 13 years, and in that time must have racked up over a thousand incidents, mostly minor, on the roads.

The majority is groups of kids hanging about and making comments as you go by, ranging from swearing, general insults, to things like "oi mate! That's my brother's bike, he had it nicked last week, give it back!"...while I was waiting at some Red lights. Needless to say my response isn't worth printing, but as more of his group of friends rushed up to "back him up", I got the feeling that the cars next to me waiting at the lights were not going to help. So I reached for my chunky D-Lock and I was prepared to use deadly force to defend myself.

At this point the kid who made the original claim backed off and walked down the road, soon followed by his moon-faced followers, boys and girls aged between 10 and 16.

This is probably the extreme end of my experiences out on the road, but generally I've had more bad luck with pedestrians who just can't seem to ignore the fact I'm cycling on the road without commenting, than with other road users.

Top Bottom