Today... I became a racist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So this perception, true or false, leads one to believe that all people of that country are aggressive drivers. Isn't that racism?

I think the same of large numbers of drivers in London. What does that say about me?

Thinking that there is (or may) be a difference in behaviour between different parts of the County\Country\World is probably correct in many cases. Being aware of this is often considered as being 'culturally aware', certainly in Government organisations.

I see your point though I think this is often an 'in the eye of beholder' issue as it is many shades of grey, dependant on who is doing the beholding.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
yea i wouldn't have said it if he was white, but i wasn't saying all indians are crap drivers, what i'm saying is that all indians are crap drivers if they learn to drive in India :biggrin: and that's why i presumed he learned to drive there :biggrin:

anyway, today i was travelling through road works (road coned off to one lane) when two small cars made a dangerous overtake (within a foot of me) and just as i was considering riding on the inside of the cones (i do at certain parts of these particular road works because they've been going on for a year and there's never any workmen there, but i only ride on the inside if it's safe for me to do so (lots of "road furniture" inside the cones and not always a way out because of barriers etc), so i was looking around to see if i could ride on the inside and get out at the other end when a bigger car blasted his horn impatiently at me to get out of the way (there was no room for his big car overtake and i'm not quite sure where he thought i was going to go unless he was thinking of ramming me into the cones).

So... i looked behind at him... he was about six inches from my back tyre.

And i decided that it just wasn't feasible for me to ride inside the cones because i may have got an unplanned deflation from the stones, and besides which i don't think it's lawful... so i adjusted my road position...

... and sat my slow ass right in front of his fast ass car all the way through the road works... at my speed :whistle:

then i gave him a cheery :hello: after the road works (of the two finger variety). :thumbsup:

So... i looked behind at him... he was about six inches from my back tyre.

And i decided that it just wasn't feasible for me to ride inside the cones because i may have got an unplanned deflation from the stones, and besides which i don't think it's lawful... so i adjusted my road position...

... and sat my slow ass right in front of his fast ass car all the way through the road works... at my speed :whistle:

then i gave him a cheery :hello: after the road works (of the two finger variety). :thumbsup:

Nice to be in control
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
In view of my new found agression, please Admin, can we have some new emoticons???

i would like to order

one finger salute smilie
two finger salute smilie
w@nk smilie

thanks

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This doesn't really have anything to do with buggi's "confession" or her outburst, but I have been thinking about "racism".

Plenty of people hereabouts commute in London, as I do, and must have come across Addison Lee private hire people carriers, in a big hurry to deliver their cargo to work destinations.

http://www.addisonlee.com/services/minicabs/

Over the last year, I have personally formed an opinion that they are driven with a certain level of aggression, to the extent that I take extra care when I spot one behind me, or take off at traffic lights in front of them. Anecdotal stuff certainly, and not subjected to earnest peer-review, but their people carriers have scared me by numerous close passes, near left hooks, back wheel magnet stuff etc.
Am I allowed to make the simple observation that all the drivers were black and male?

If not, why not?

Maz

Guru
The only way for buggi to redeem herself is to go on a bike ride with me and User1314.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hiya Maz, long time mate!!

@slowmotion - it's Addison Lee mate. I've had aggressive driving from white male and female drivers from them too. Never yet anything serious, mind, just bullying impatience.

Jezston

Über Member
I would be surprised if Addison Lee don't have a VERY high pressure attitude towards their drivers - along the lines of "you must get to this destination within 10 minutes or you don't get paid" type of thing, and constantly scrutinising their performance, rewarding 'driver of the month' award for those who have the highest MPH average and crap like that that encourages dangerous behaviour.

RedBike

Buggi does seem to get a lot of male drivers beeping at her ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
There was nothing racist about Buggi's outburst. She merely questioned the driver's country of origin; as others have written this could equally have been Poland, Wales, the USA or anywhere else. Did she insult his skin colour? No.

Anyway racially Indians are Caucasians, the same as us white Anglo-Saxons.

yello

I would be surprised if Addison Lee don't have a VERY high pressure attitude towards their drivers

I think this is more likely to be the cause of their questionable driving.

I know my own experiences cycling (and motorcycling) in central London taught me to be very wary of their vans.

yello

Btw, I have my own -ism's that I fully own up to being irrational but yet based on my own experiences... and then reinforced because I look for it! Young women in 205s or Clio type cars for instance.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Indeed, it's safer than making a cup of tea, and much, much safer than walking downstairs.

Yikes! I just made a cup of tea AND carried it downstairs! I didn't realise I'd been acting so rashly!

I' think we all do it - say something and regret it later, god knows, I do. Well done to Buggi for owning up.

I was riding in town this morning, in primary in a one way street (mainly because I'd just passed a parked vehicle, and stayed out, wanting to turn right shortly), and a 4x4 came up behind me, revving. I let him come by, and he looked over and gestured at me, clearly, I was in his way. I said loudly "I want to turn right!" and then sat behind him, indicating, as he had to sit in a short queue at the junction. He kept looking in his mirror, so I kept pulling a 'what's your problem?' face (you know, with a shrug and upturned palm). Quite satisfying, and I felt I didn't lose the moral high ground. But it's hard to do that everytime, when you just want to call someone a name.

Top Bottom