Today... I became a racist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
No, it wouldn't....unless the white driver had a strong Indian accent.

The way I look at it, is that colour, can be an indicator of origin. Of course on it's own it means nothing, but there may have been other indicators of the drivers origin, i.e. accent.

Have you ever noticed that you can sometimes tell where a tourist comes from, just from the way they dress? I have plenty of German friends (been there often) and in general they have a particular style of dress. This is probably true of nearly every country. Styles vary. Now imagine that a German was driving 150mph on a motorway and is stopped by the police. The police man looks at the driver and suspects he is German. The driver speaks and has a German accent. The policeman says, 'so sir, do you think this is the Autobahn?'

This is a very similar type of question, once again relating to the drivers 'possible' country of origin. Is this a racist comment? Or, is it just an observation of where the driver might come from, and a possible explanation for why he is driving the way he is.

Is it not possible that this is all Buggi did on this occasion? All be it in a more stressful situation and with some anger.

are you actually serious? omg what a foolish thing to say in multi cultural britain. you'd be seriously screwed in liverpool or glasgow or any other area with strong colloquial accents. you have cheered me up tho. i've just showed my wife your comment (a brown lady with a lancashire accent) and she's still laughing.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
are you actually serious? omg what a foolish thing to say in multi cultural britain. you'd be seriously screwed in liverpool or glasgow or any other area with strong colloquial accents. you have cheered me up tho. i've just showed my wife your comment (a brown lady with a lancashire accent) and she's still laughing.

OT it reminds me of an occasion when I'd been out of the country for a few years and on my return a mate suggested we go to a Chinese Restaurant that had opened up. Naturally enough the place was full of Chinese waiters but they all had very strong Fife accents. If you closed your eye you wouldn't guess they were Chinese for a minute :smile:

There is nothing wrong with what I said. Notice the words, 'can be an indicator' and 'on it's own means nothing'. What I am suggesting is (and you know fine well as I have said it a number of times now) if the gent in question also has an Indian accent (I have also said a number of times that Buggi hasn't clarified this) then it is reasonable to assume that he is, certainly in the context of the incident in question.

And yes, absolutely we are a multi-cultural Britain. In fact I have on occasion (before I have spoken of course) been mistaken for an Irishman, along with the jokes and sterotypes that often follow on from that (I have lots of Irish friends who I tease and they tease me about my nationality). Why have I been mistaken? My second name is an Irish name. So I have Irish roots.

A mistake. Yes. But it is reasonable for someone, seeing my name to consider that there is an increased chance that I might actually be Irish. As soon as they hear me talk....no chance! If I had an Irish accent, it is 99% certain that I am. Which if you care to read my posts above, is what I am actually saying.

adam23

Sometimes I do wonder why I cycle.
First some bint overtakes me and then realises there is a central bollard, so she swerves back in to avoid it, nearly hitting me. Stupid bitch. My only consolation was knowing that she was more shoot up about than I was. :headshake:
And then some bloke toots his horn at me from behind (I know why) but then he changes lanes and gets stuck 4 feet away in the traffic queue for the lights (perfect). So I hammered on his window and said "what is your problem mate" and he shouts "you were in the middle of the road!" (told you I knew why... soooo predictable). So I then enter into a tirade of abuse pointing out to him in no uncertain terms that at a junction when I'm going straight on I'm entitled to be in the middle of the lane and he should read the f*ckin' highway code and I'm not one of his little women that's gonna move out of the way for him and besides, where did he f*ckin learn to drive?? India?? You may have guessed that he was Indian, and I'm not proud of my racist abuse, in fact, now I've calmed down, I think maybe I should have just reminded him of the rules of the road calmly because I've done absolutely nothing for the cause of cyclists. But there are times when you just have to think of and hurl the worst abuse possible because some drivers are just fukwits.
:boxing: :cursing:

i dont think your racist at all mate its just a spur of the moment thing tbh and people in this country are quick to label and judge cause they are to scared to open
there mouths at times, i am sure you didnt mean it as a racist comment at all we have all done it at times or made a silly accent about a chinese or pakistani before now.
fair plaly for standing your ground i say

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Why has where he learned to drive got any bearing on how he drives in a country that he has probably lived in longer than you have?

Taking the same hard line on you that I do on myself in these circumstances, so please don't think I am judging.

I get annoyed with people who assume that the poor standard of driving amongst those without a white skin colour are due to them learning in less civilised driving cultures. How much of my driving craft has come from what I learned over 20 years ago, and how much has come from social conditioning? My attitude towards speed limits, other traffic and what is a suitable gap is very much based on living in Birmingham, as well as my understanding of what is correct, which I occasionally glean from the Highway Code, but mostly get told by colleagues and friends. When was the last time anyone on here read the Highway Code, rather than just consulted an area of interest? Does that make you a bad driver?

Therefore to judge someone's driving ability on your perception of their country of birth is simply wrong. It is a reflection on their personality, influences and individuality.

Hence next time call him an arrogant ignorant sheep.

I should add, I wouldn't and never have made a comment like the one Buggi did. I'm not suggesting it was a wise comment, just that I think labeling it as racist, is harsh.

As for your suggestion BrumJim, I hear there are some people in Wales who might take offense....;)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I should add, I wouldn't and never have made a comment like the one Buggi did. I'm not suggesting it was a wise comment, just that I think labeling it as racist, is harsh.

As for your suggestion BrumJim, I hear there are some people in Wales who might take offense....;)

This is something I agree with (while the OP acted poorly), the racist label should be reserved for proper scumbags rather than thrown at a heated, ill-judged slip of the tongue!

yello

I think buggi's racist. I think we all are racist. I think it's natural. But it's not what we think be how we act upon that is important, imho.

So, yes, you made a silly racist remark. People lose it sometimes, esp when they get angry, and say things that they wouldn't normally, things they regret. You should probably apologise for it should the chance arise, but it probably won't.

The main thing is that you know it was racist and you do feel sorry for it. You acknowledge it, you're not defending it nor building a lifestyle around it. So cut yourself some slack and admit to being human.... and don't do it again! ;)

Paul_L

Über Member
+0.5 (I half agree)

OK, you were responding to illegal abuse and intimidation and I certainly can't claim to be whiter than white but I am trying to, in similar situations, be firm without the abuse, in a "NO! I am already in this lane. You may overtake when it is SAFE and where there is ROOM to do so, and you do NOT have the right to push past and cut me up. READ your highway code and LEAVE the horn ALONE!"

That way I feel much better about hurling abuse at someone who has actually driven in a life threatening way (rather than make them hot under the collar and likely to drive in such a manner

Of course, it's easy to sit saying that at a desk with a nice cup of tea and a biscuit...hence why my plus was reserved to a 0.5 ;)

Racist :biggrin:

taxing

I think buggi's racist. I think we all are racist. I think it's natural. But it's not what we think be how we act upon that is important, imho.

So, yes, you made a silly racist remark. People lose it sometimes, esp when they get angry, and say things that they wouldn't normally, things they regret. You should probably apologise for it should the chance arise, but it probably won't.

The main thing is that you know it was racist and you do feel sorry for it. You acknowledge it, you're not defending it nor building a lifestyle around it. So cut yourself some slack and admit to being human.... and don't do it again! ;)

+1

And good on you to Buggi for posting it here. I know I wouldn't have been brave enough to submit to the possible pasting.

Top Bottom