Today... I became a racist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ah, but she did not express a belief at all. The reality was that the driver beeped at the cyclist in a way that is reminiscent of the way that larger traffic expects smaller traffic to move out of the way in India. This is a fact, not a belief. The next fact is that the chap looked Indian (yes he may have been from Pakistan, but making that sort of mistake is certainly not racist!). Buggi may let us know, but it is possible that he also sounded Indian. Therefore, it is reasonable to infer that he may be from India and have driven there.

Buggi asked the question, where did you learn to drive, India? Going on all of the above, the facts and the reasonable inferences, I can't understand how asking a question based on all of that could be racist.

There have been occasions when people have made comments to me that refer to stereotypical Scotsman like attributes. Some are based on realities, some not. None have been racist.

racist insults against scots, welsh and the irish are also out of order. sorry but i disagree with all types of discrimination, no matter what it is based on.

[QUOTE 1149201"]
Why? All he done is beep at you, hardly an excuse to get abusive like you did.
[/quote]

+0.5 (I half agree)

OK, you were responding to illegal abuse and intimidation and I certainly can't claim to be whiter than white but I am trying to, in similar situations, be firm without the abuse, in a "NO! I am already in this lane. You may overtake when it is SAFE and where there is ROOM to do so, and you do NOT have the right to push past and cut me up. READ your highway code and LEAVE the horn ALONE!"

That way I feel much better about hurling abuse at someone who has actually driven in a life threatening way (rather than make them hot under the collar and likely to drive in such a manner

Of course, it's easy to sit saying that at a desk with a nice cup of tea and a biscuit...hence why my plus was reserved to a 0.5 ;)

racist insults against scots, welsh and the irish are also out of order. sorry but i disagree with all types of discrimination, no matter what it is based on.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Personally I think the racist label is used too often. Racism certainly does exist and is a very serious problem. However, when situations like the OP are classed as racist, in my opinion, it just dilutes the argument against racism.

Of course, I have never experienced racism, so my opinions may be rose tinted in some way.....although I have had my fair amount of abuse!

dondare

Über Member
My philosophy when beeped (hardly ever happens, tho') regardless of race or species of driver:

Attachments

• 426px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on_svg.png
    426px-Keep-calm-and-carry-on_svg.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 22

dondare

Über Member
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Personally I think the racist label is used too often. Racism certainly does exist and is a very serious problem. However, when situations like the OP are classed as racist, in my opinion, it just dilutes the argument against racism.

Of course, I have never experienced racism, so my opinions may be rose tinted in some way.....although I have had my fair amount of abuse!

Don't get me started on the Scots.

Depending on the situation I may stop to innocently inquire why they urgently need my attention, and whilst stopped thus holding them up, give them a "ah, so, you stopped me to discuss the merits of cycle lanes because you are..err..in a hurry???" :whistle:

Very much depends on my reading of the situation of course...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have experienced racism, and it's nasty. I don't think this situation is it though, since it's about the driving and the driving culture from one country, not the driver's colour.

Don't get me started on the Scots.

You can get me started on the Scotch if you like :becool:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I have experienced racism, and it's nasty. I don't think this situation is it though, since it's about the driving and the driving culture from one country, not the driver's colour.
Would the same comment have been made if the driver was white? It's racist, pure and simple.

tongskie01

View this and you'll see you were paying him an unintentional compliment:thumbsup:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM[/media]

how could they drive like this without bumping into each other? just pure focus, being aware of road situation, anticipation and a lot of tolerance....horn tooting makes us snap out of our senses when were starting to drift off...sometimes i think its better without having signs and traffic lights as we are alert and ready to stop all the time. ive heard of experiments being done here in uk about taking all the signs and traffic lights down in one of the town or village......if i can remember its called (shared space?)

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
[QUOTE 1149223"]
Be careful, I know in P&L you lose the debate[/quote]
You clearly haven't been paying attention. :biggrin:

Would the same comment have been made if the driver was white? It's racist, pure and simple.

No, it wouldn't....unless the white driver had a strong Indian accent.

The way I look at it, is that colour, can be an indicator of origin. Of course on it's own it means nothing, but there may have been other indicators of the drivers origin, i.e. accent.

Have you ever noticed that you can sometimes tell where a tourist comes from, just from the way they dress? I have plenty of German friends (been there often) and in general they have a particular style of dress. This is probably true of nearly every country. Styles vary. Now imagine that a German was driving 150mph on a motorway and is stopped by the police. The police man looks at the driver and suspects he is German. The driver speaks and has a German accent. The policeman says, 'so sir, do you think this is the Autobahn?'

This is a very similar type of question, once again relating to the drivers 'possible' country of origin. Is this a racist comment? Or, is it just an observation of where the driver might come from, and a possible explanation for why he is driving the way he is.

Is it not possible that this is all Buggi did on this occasion? All be it in a more stressful situation and with some anger.

Buggi's next trick will be to cycle through Chinatown wearing a lampshade as a helmet, and to stand by the front window waving, with an unfortunately placed square patch of dirt on the pane :laugh:

Top Bottom