Today... I became a racist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
LMAO Noooo i'm scared to go in there! they all argue! :huh:
No we effing don't! Where's your peer-reviewed evidence that we argue? Your baseless remarks are absolutely typical of you lefties/righties/fence-sitters [please delete as appropriate].

Tell it like it is Buggi.
thumbsup.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No we effing don't! Where's your peer-reviewed evidence that we argue? Your baseless remarks are absolutely typical of you lefties/righties/fence-sitters [please delete as appropriate].

buggi, ignore this pitiful soul. They sometimes escape from P&L and it costs a lot of taxpayers money to round them up and put them back into their Secure Unit. Money well spent, if you want my honest opinion.

trsleigh

the traffic queue for the lights (perfect). So I hammered on his window and said "what is your problem mate" and he shouts "you were in the middle of the road!" (told you I knew why... soooo predictable). So I then enter into a tirade of abuse pointing out to him in no uncertain terms that at a junction when I'm going straight on I'm entitled to be in the middle of the lane and he should read the f*ckin' highway code and I'm not one of his little women that's gonna move out of the way for him and besides, where did he f*ckin learn to drive?? India?? You may have guessed that he was Indian, and I'm not proud of my racist abuse, in fact, now I've calmed down, I think maybe I should have just reminded him of the rules of the road calmly because I've done absolutely nothing for the cause of cyclists. But there are times when you just have to think of and hurl the worst abuse possible because some drivers are just fukwits.
:boxing: :cursing:

Way to go Buggi. If you are going to be abusive as possible to some dickhead then any verbal tactics are fair game in the heat of the moment. Otherwise what's the point. anyway I don't see asking someone where the learnt to drive as rascist.

I've been there too, Buggi. But I am more fortunate in that the abusive words I've uttered, or thought about uttering, have only ever been sotto voce, and never heard by the intended 'target'. Except once, when I said something really insulting in the hearing of an Irish colleague, and felt bad about it for weeks afterwards. It shows, we all have weaknesses at times. It does you credit that you put up this thread and show evident remorse. I won't rub it in further!

I must admit, I don't entirely understand why Buggi's comment was racist. Yes she should have kept better control of her temper. We all flair up from time to time, but from my understanding, the gentleman looked Indian, possibly he sounded Indian, therefore, it is certainly possible that he did learn to drive in India. My knowledge of Indian road safety isn't the best, but knowing a number of friends and collegues who come from India, and having chatted with them about road safety there (it often comes up when they find out about my videos), they have all suggested that the roads over there are dangerous and chaotic. The hierarchy is size, and you have to drive that way to survive or get anywhere!

So, having witnessed some poor attitude from the following driver which appears to follow the Indian hierarchy and the chap is Indian is it not reasonable to suggest that there might be a connection?

The only thing that Buggi is abusing is this chaps driving skills, not his character, race, religion etc.

Am I missing something?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
+1 to magnatom, coming from a country which also culturally has bad driving skills and attitude.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
IMO, there is a difference between actual racism, i.e. an active and malicious persuit to insult and offend, and noticing something about someone in theheat of the moment and remarking on it.

If someone obese cut you up on the road, you might call him/her a "fat c*nt". Noticing someones skin colour and remarking when angry, while it may be offensive, it could just be a knee jerk reaction because you were thinking on your feet for something to insult them about and you noticed some way in which they are different for you.

Poor judgement, not racist imo. I had to bite my tongue when I got knocked off by an indian guy (partly because he could speak and understand perfect english apart from when it suited him which pissed me off) but I managed to not remark on the origin of his driving liscence!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
racist defined:-

racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief : a program to combat racism.

how were the comments not racist? buggi thought he / she was superior at that moment in time. i maintain that if the driver was white the comments would not have been made.

just put yourself in the gentleman's shoes, driving along, tooted an ignorant cyclist blocking the road (rightly or wrongly is another discussion) then the next thing you know, said cyclist is knocking at your window frothing at the mouth, slinging insulting remarks about where you learnt to drive.

if he was pakistani and not indian, he would have been extremely infuriated and felt the abuse even more insulting (given the historical hatred between the 2 countries). how do you know he wasn't english born and bred?how do you know he didn't learn to drive in birmingham?

you were out of order and you know it.

Ah, but she did not express a belief at all. The reality was that the driver beeped at the cyclist in a way that is reminiscent of the way that larger traffic expects smaller traffic to move out of the way in India. This is a fact, not a belief. The next fact is that the chap looked Indian (yes he may have been from Pakistan, but making that sort of mistake is certainly not racist!). Buggi may let us know, but it is possible that he also sounded Indian. Therefore, it is reasonable to infer that he may be from India and have driven there.

Buggi asked the question, where did you learn to drive, India? Going on all of the above, the facts and the reasonable inferences, I can't understand how asking a question based on all of that could be racist.

There have been occasions when people have made comments to me that refer to stereotypical Scotsman like attributes. Some are based on realities, some not. None have been racist.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ah, but she did not express a belief at all. The reality was that the driver beeped at the cyclist in a way that is reminiscent of the way that larger traffic expects smaller traffic to move out of the way in India. This is a fact, not a belief. The next fact is that the chap looked Indian (yes he may have been from Pakistan, but making that sort of mistake is certainly not racist!). Buggi may let us know, but it is possible that he also sounded Indian. Therefore, it is reasonable to infer that he may be from India and have driven there.

Buggi asked the question, where did you learn to drive, India? Going on all of the above, the facts and the reasonable inferences, I can't understand how asking a question based on all of that could be racist.

There have been occasions when people have made comments to me that refer to stereotypical Scotsman like attributes. Some are based on realities, some not. None have been racist.

just like in portugal, spain, birmingham, cornwall, indonesia, pakistan, etc etc.

dondare

Über Member
Seems to me that the race based assumption that got Buggi worked up was not that Indians are bad drivers but that Indian men regard women as inferior.

Top Bottom