today i bought a...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
...helmet cam.

Because yesterday I had some tosser think it was ok to drive up behind me, whilst I was in primary position (coming up to a roundabout) and then BLAST his horn and pull a punishment pass for absolutely no reason at all.

And then a SMIDSY nearly got me on the way home (only my skillz saved me)

The SMIDSY I can cope with, but the aggressive driver deserves reporting. So I have replaced my broken camera and it should be here on Friday.

Also I'm pretty mad about my water bottle, not coz I lost it, but coz it missed ;) and I couldn't be arsed to go back and retrieve it. Now I have to buy a new one. (note to self... don't get a work's branded one... probably a good job I missed)

Two things I have come to realise:
1. There is a definite difference in aggressiveness levels between riding around Warwick and Solihull. (Solihull being worse)
2. In a flight or fight situation, I'm definitely a fighter. Although at six foot I'm quite formidable when my life is at risk, this is probably not to my advantage, as i may one day meet my match, which is another good reason to get the cam, it calms me down knowing I can just report these idiots.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
In a flight or fight situation, I'm definitely a fighter.

+1 to that, except I'm only 5 foot 9.

I've thought about a cam as well.

I'm a flighter, two of the most serious incidents I have had over my cycling career so far, these are experiences where I actually thought I was a goner, my instinct was definitely to peddle as fast as possible to get a away from the terrifying experience, then sadly because I'm a girl the next reaction is to greet. Which then could result in me killing myself cause I canni blinkin' see for the tears

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
So long as you're not under the impression the helmet cam will stop these things from happening?
As my wife regularly reminds me 'whats the point of having "he was in the right" written on your grave stone?'

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
So long as you're not under the impression the helmet cam will stop these things from happening?
As my wife regularly reminds me 'whats the point of having "he was in the right" written on your grave stone?'
No I don't think that, it's just nice to know that a cop could be knocking on their door when they least expect it. This stops me getting even angrier and retaliating, possibly making the whole situation worse. Also I find some comfort that if one of these idiots does run me over, my mom and dad will have a chance of knowing who did it, rather than always wondering. Nothing worse than not having closure, although a bit morbid to think about it.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
With more and more people using them and the more they get in the press, the more it will have an effect. People do know what a GoPro is and do change their behaviour because of it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Does anyone know for certain if footage from a cyclist headcam ever been used in court?

I can see the point in using one in that case. But cannot see the point in posting footage on all the social media sites. You all know you have some awful drivers in the UK, you dont need clips posted on the net to prove it.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Does anyone know for certain if footage from a cyclist headcam ever been used in court?

I can see the point in using one in that case. But cannot see the point in posting footage on all the social media sites. You all know you have some awful drivers in the UK, you dont need clips posted on the net to prove it.
Yes Magnatom recently had some success I heard

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
I'm pretty sure @gaz has had some used.
@buggi I'd got it into my head that you are female but I'm now thinking I might be wrong...!
I am female but i have made grown men run back to their car LOL !! However I'm always aware once I've calmed down that it's prob the worst idea to get involved in the first place. In all honesty though,i do think you're better as a fighter than a flighter, i think most road rage bullies are typical cowards and back down when you stand up to them.

Top Bottom