Today's ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I definitely prefer my singlspeed. The Cannondale has been off the road for weeks now, with a noisy bottom bracket, and tbh I haven't missed it.

Today I did 35 miles from Cirencester in a loop via Tetbury, it was brilliant. I couldn't possibly have enjoyed it any more on any other bike.

Another ride out to Newmarket with a cafe stop at the horse race museum. Lovely day, if a bit chilly to start with.
47 miles, 3 hours and about 1,300ft ascent
J

Nelson_Longflap

Not today, but yesterday ... a great ride round the Isle of Wight in fine weather with the island looking at its loveliest :sun:Fantastic long views under sunny blue skies.

I knew there would be a lot of downhill so turned the wheel round on my Genesis Day One from 42x16 fixed to 42x18 free. No hassle climbing the hills, and lots of lovely freewheeling, I love this bike's versatility and the way it rides.

I have done this same ride on fixed and the lower ratio freewheel is no slower overall. The faster downhills in my aerodynamic tuck balance out the slower cruising speed on the flat. Not much difference in the climbing speed.

One bike with two very different personalities achieved by undoing two bolts and turning the wheel round ... two bikes for the price of one! ^_^

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Not today, but yesterday ... a great ride round the Isle of Wight in fine weather with the island looking at its loveliest :sun:Fantastic long views under sunny blue skies.

I knew there would be a lot of downhill so turned the wheel round on my Genesis Day One from 42x16 fixed to 42x18 free. No hassle climbing the hills, and lots of lovely freewheeling, I love this bike's versatility and the way it rides.

I have done this same ride on fixed and the lower ratio freewheel is no slower overall. The faster downhills in my aerodynamic tuck balance out the slower cruising speed on the flat. Not much difference in the climbing speed.

One bike with two very different personalities achieved by undoing two bolts and turning the wheel round ... two bikes for the price of one! ^_^

I have the same bike a 2015 but mine is 46/18. Brilliant bikes

Nelson_Longflap

I have the same bike a 2015 but mine is 46/18. Brilliant bikes

My Day One is 2011, still in great condition after getting on for 20000 km. It's the vee brake version with the flip-flop back hub, spending about 60% of it's time on fixed. Lightweight touring in France, audax (up to 300km on fixed, so far), club rides, shopping ... it does it all and although not the most efficient in every situation it's my most versatile bike by miles. Very reliable and easy to work on as well which gives confidence to go to remote places.

I sometimes think it's the only bike I need, although that would be seriously wrong.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
32.3 miles on my Lee Cooper single speed this morning, great ride at a nice pace.
WP_20160507_003.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had a brisk 16 mile single speed ride sure i had the wind behind me fo most of the way round

Just a mile! First time back on the bike since being knocked off 5 weeks ago when I managed to dislocate my shoulder and break about 2 inches off the bone at the top of my humerus, some discomfort from the area of my upper arm,otherwise ok
First outing for my new freewheel too,a GT with 120 point pick up, a big improvement on the usual Sturmey/Shimano freewheels.

A 10 miler round the bike shops of Cheshire and Manchester hunting for a rear brake caliper,
Evans cycles don't even stock them! Ridiculous state of affairs,Edinburgh Cycle coop only had a front caliper,it was down to the guys at Bicycle doctor who actually had a choice of calipers! I'll know who try first for any bits now..........................

Top Bottom