Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In that case, a self-baked panettone will be a revelation, I can assure you. I used to hate them until I made my first one. :blush:

It should be light, but not airily fluffy, moist, rich with butter and eggs, plenty of sultanas and mixed peel, but shouldn't be over-perfumed. It's basically a heavily enriched bread really, not a cake. Think buns or fruit loaf on steroids and you should kind of get the idea...

I do a bit of Italian baking, including panettone. If you do manage to not eat it all before it starts to stale, it makes an excellent bread-and-butter pudding.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I do a bit of Italian baking, including panettone. If you do manage to not eat it all before it starts to stale, it makes an excellent bread-and-butter pudding.

Never gets that far here, as it makes banging toast! :hungry:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Never gets that far here, as it makes banging toast! :hungry:

Oh yes - that too!
This year I went a bit off-piste as my family are not keen on mixed peel and dried fruits. I made one with chocolate-chips and a mix of lemon and orange zest - perhaps an affront to classical panettone but it turned out really well and was much enjoyed.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Oh yes - that too!
This year I went a bit off-piste as my family are not keen on mixed peel and dried fruits. I made one with chocolate-chips and a mix of lemon and orange zest - perhaps an affront to classical panettone but it turned out really well and was much enjoyed.

Whatever works. :smile:

I'm not one for sticking rigidly to the rules, but we like the traditional mixed peel and sultanas here chez Casa Reynard. :blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
I brought chickens for Sunday dinner...meh, I dont mind but you cant keep eating beef or pork, lamb's too expensive when theres 4 adults, 3 kiddos....
Popped into Asda tonight for my wife....

As good as half price...yayyyyy:bravo:
DIL will be ecstatic :laugh:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It'll keep for a good week beyond the date if you keep it nice and cold. :okay: If you're unsure, freeze it.

Popped into Tesco this arvo for cat food and toilet rolls, and picked up two Dickinsons & Morris pork pies at 60p each, two tubs of taramasalata at 50p each (I looooove the stuff!), two bakery loaves at 29p each, four packs of assorted pastries at 30p each, plus two boxes of breakfast cereal for half price in the damaged goods bin as the packaging was a bit squashed, and two bottles of Garnier antibac hand gel 50p each on clearance.

Good to see this thread jump back into life, tho i have the idea that bargains are far thinner on the ground than they used to be.
Mind you, tis still extremely rare for me to pay anything like full price for my toasting bread.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had a good deal a few weeks back. MrsF had a £30 voucher for M&S, so we popped into the food store in Prestatyn on a Sunday morning. A fair amount was yellow stickered including adding on the meal deals, we got enough food for 4 for a week. worth doing the mooching.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Reductions were a bit thin on the ground last year when all the restaurants etc were shut, but we're almost back to pre-pandemic levels of stuff on sticker. The problem at the moment is the shortages due to lack of lorry drivers / pingdemic / brexit.

I got very lucky when they put all the "weird brands" into clearance tail end of last year, and stocked up on a lot of cupboard staples for pennies as a result.

Will be off to chance my arm as per usual on Saturday evening.

gbb

Legendary Member
I brought chickens for Sunday dinner...meh, I dont mind but you cant keep eating beef or pork, lamb's too expensive when theres 4 adults, 3 kiddos....
Popped into Asda tonight for my wife....
View attachment 608251

As good as half price...yayyyyy:bravo:
DIL will be ecstatic :laugh:
Sunday dinner for 4 adults, two children and one toddler, dog had the bits off the bone etc. Some cold lamb with salad in the afternoon. Yesterday, homemade Chinese Lamb curry for two,enough left over for a bit today at work.
:hungry:

Sunday dinner for 4 adults, two children and one toddler, dog had the bits off the bone etc. Some cold lamb with salad in the afternoon. Yesterday, homemade Chinese Lamb curry for two,enough left over for a bit today at work.
:hungry:
Well done you though am confused by your "good as half price"

Reactions: gbb

Mike_P

Guru
If you are near a Co-op their club card plus mobile app often gives better than yellow sticker bargains. Today 2 pints of milk, dated 30th, for 40p (90p - 50p coupon on the app) and 6 jam filled coconut rings 50p (£1.50 -£1 app coupon)

Top Bottom