Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Some "Jeez, can't leave it at that price!" ricotta, some way past its use by date mixed peel, some nearing use by date cannoli shells (Mrs Poacher refuses point blank to let me make my own, formed round a broom handle or some spare metal pipe), some cheap Lidl triple sec, some sweet orange essential oil (not shown here), some vanilla infused sugar and we have "fill it yourself when you fancy one" cannoli.
P1000775.JPG

P1000774.JPG

P1000776.JPG

P1000777.JPG

P1000778.JPG

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I don't really do 'yellow stickering' as such, but needed some sauce for tonight's fish, which I'd bought earlier. Yes, I could have made my own and yes, I could have bought it earlier but whilst the Co-op in the next town is usually nice there were a pile of 4-9 year-olds running up-and-down the sauce aisle screaming whilst their parent did nothing. So I didn't bother.

Popped into the local tiny Co-op and they had Maille Hollandaise sauce jars marked down at 50p each, tucked away behind hanging-down items. So I bought two.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Went to Tesco this afternoon to avail myself of the stickers on account that they will be shut on short notice tomorrow.

Bagged a pretty decent haul which I shall share with a friend, although proceedings were interrupted several times by opportunists lifting stuff from other people's trolleys. I ended up down a chocolate cake and a cauliflower. When it's that manic, you really do need eyes in the back of your head.

Still, picked up free range chicken breasts, beef mince, lamb chops, a job lot of sausages (yay!), tuna steaks, scallops, sausage rolls, assorted cooked and sliced meats, mushrooms, salad onions, blueberries, avocados and a suitable quantity of bakery stuff. I also picked up these chocolate caramel doughnut things.

My friend will take the chicken and half the sausages. As for the rest, I need to decide what to freeze and what to cook.

gbb

Legendary Member
I got two packs of fresh mince today at Iceland, effectively £1 off each. Gave one to the grandkids mum, they live spag bol.

One cautionary note. A few weeks ago I brought a pack of two pieces of steak in a sauce I can't remember now, as usual, stuck it straight in the freezer. Defrosted it a few days later...it was off . Meh, maybe it stayed out too long defrosting but one thing I'm always aware of when buying yellow stickered food, its inevitably been out a while. You are taking an increased risk.

Mike_P

Guru
Non yellow stickered food can be off - just thrown away a bag of salad leaves bought from Sainsburys on Friday dated for tomorrow which stunk of decay when it was opened. Tweet sent.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It's very rare I've had something on sticker that's been past its best. In all the years I've been stickering in Tesco, the only problems I've had have been a pack of onion rings, two mouldy pasties and one tray of chicken thighs. Not bad, imho.

OTOH sometimes I've had terrible problems with full price stuff simply going t*ts up within a couple of days - mainly fruit & veg. People do chuck it around a fair bit, and it gets damaged. With obvious consequences.

Mike_P

Guru
Local Waitrose seems not to understand yellow stickers - quite often find items discounted with a best before date in 3 or 4 weeks time.

Yellow bonanza at Morrisons.
Surloin steak £2.30 each.
Nectarines 13p punnet.

Coop dissapointment. Apple pie on yellow sticker had mould under the label. Returned to my corner shop with refund.

Mike_P

Guru
Co-op dissapointment. Apple pie on yellow sticker had mould under the label. Returned to my corner shop with refund.
Co-op also a disappointment with its new lower prices than are overly signed in my local - save 42p, that's a good buy I thought, but still full price at the till. Returned it to the shelf.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
flippin 'eck!

(although you have to respect someone that desperate for a chocolate cauliflower cake ...)

*SNORK* :laugh:

I always buy the pots of live herbs when they're on sticker (parsley, basil, chives, thyme), plant them up in bigger pots and keep them outside on top of my wood bins. Basil has been particularly successful this year - the trick is to keep it up off the ground and away from slugs, and it likes its feet kept wet.

It is an annual though, so once I see it's struggling outside, then I'll make a big tub of pesto with what's left. I bought my pot in April, and it's still going strong. :smile:

Top Bottom