Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Goodness me! Chapeau! :notworthy:

Knocks the socks off the tomahawk steak I bought the other week for £7.25 instead of £29... :blush:

It's also very tender, topside can be a bit chewy but not this one.

gbb

Legendary Member
Acquisitions lately....
Today, 2x packs of 12 % fat minced beef, should be £4.45, yellow stickered at £2.40. Great for when the grandkids come for tea, a nice cheap bolognese goes down a treat.
For this evenings tea, 2x bags of stir fry, were £1 each, reduced to 0.56p each.
Last week, shoulder of lamb, should have been £12, bagged for £8, that's this Sunday dinner then.
Roast in the bag chicken, was around £5, down to £2.45.
Some fish fillets, reduced by about 30%, can't remember the details right now.

Fish and chicken, they're the ones I'm most slightly unsure about buying, but haven't had problems tbf.

Been a bit lean on stuff since they changed date coding on fresh products but there's been a nice few bargains lately

gbb

Legendary Member
Ooh this afternoon, usual food shop.
Loads of Sirloin steak in the reduced section, maybe 20 packs.
£4.60 normally, reduced to £1.46 ....yay.
I brought 8 packs .
It's cheaper than the cheap stuff I buy every week, nice stock up and cheap to boot. Double yay

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Tonight while shopping in Asda, a bit light on the shelves lately, not much tonight but got an Asda Extra Special garlic mushroom with truffle and mascarpone on a sourdough base. Was £4,95 I think reduced to £1.60
Really enjoyed it, mild , smooth, tasty, could have had a tad more flavour but generally very nice. Nice enough to make me buy one full price next week.
80p each for a 12 inch pizza ...who could complain ?

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Tonight while shopping in Asda, a bit light on the shelves lately, not much tonight but got an Asda Extra Special garlic mushroom with truffle and mascarpone on a sourdough base. Was £4,95 I think reduced to £1.60
Really enjoyed it, mild , smooth, tasty, could have had a tad more flavour but generally very nice. Nice enough to make me buy one full price next week.
80p each for a 12 inch pizza ...who could complain ?

That's one of the better parts of stickering - that you pick up stuff that you might not ordinarily consider buying, but that you then really enjoy and would be quite happy to buy full price on subsequent occasions.

Reactions: gbb

stephec

Legendary Member
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

Screenshot_20231210_232439_com.facebook.katana.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

View attachment 715832

And I was reasonably happy to get a leg of lamb yesterday, £15,reduced to £10 ( rounded up figures)
30% discount..not to be sneezed at, I'd spend £8 on a piece of pork anyway so less than £10 for a leg of lamb will make for a nice Sunday dinner.

Tonight, had some breaded Bassa fish I got last week, yellow stickered at £1.24 for two fillets . Not the tastiest fish I ever had but quite acceptable for that kind of money, good sprinkling of lemon juice on it pepped it up.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
On Wednesday, I picked up 16 cans of baked beans down to 18p a can because they'd had a mishap during transit, and four 5-packs of Walker's turkey crisps at 49p a pack.

@gbb - basa is lovely, but it's a very delicate fish. I prefer getting the fresh fillets on YS and breading them at home.

gbb

Legendary Member
On Wednesday, I picked up 16 cans of baked beans down to 18p a can because they'd had a mishap during transit, and four 5-packs of Walker's turkey crisps at 49p a pack.

@gbb - basa is lovely, but it's a very delicate fish. I prefer getting the fresh fillets on YS and breading them at home.

I forgot I had some reduced smoked basa fillets as well, can't remember the price, but cheap.
Poached in milk for 5 mins the other day...quite nice. Lacks the flavour (imho) of haddock though.
Finny (sp) haddock mum used to call it, a favourite when we were kids.
Basa...I assume its a raised fish ?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I forgot I had some reduced smoked basa fillets as well, can't remember the price, but cheap.
Poached in milk for 5 mins the other day...quite nice. Lacks the flavour (imho) of haddock though.
Finny (sp) haddock mum used to call it, a favourite when we were kids.
Basa...I assume its a raised fish ?

A catfish farmed in ponds in South East Asia

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
^^^ Wot he said.

At one time, it was called River Cobbler when on sale in the UK. Guess it wouldn't sell if it was called catfish, folk can be funny that way. I rather like it as a fish. My general complaint re smoked fish is that it seems to have become far less smoked over the years. Not just Basa, but haddock & salmon as well.

Having said that, smoked basa is great for Cullen Skink. :hungry:

Top Bottom