Today's Yellow Sticker Bargains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I find yellow sticker items very hard to find these days. Presumably supermarkets are getting much tighter on stock control. There seem to be far more empty space on shelves and I think that's down to buying decisions rather than product availability.

This article from today's Guardian reminded me of this thread

Bin Diving

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I find yellow sticker items very hard to find these days. Presumably supermarkets are getting much tighter on stock control. There seem to be far more empty space on shelves and I think that's down to buying decisions rather than product availability.
There's always some in our local Tesco Extra, lots of bread items. Maybe it's because of it being a smaller shop. Lots of the unsold yellow sticker items from there and from Iceland are ending up on Olio, especially the bread, and fruit and veg.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It ebbs and flows, it always has. But my local Tesco has started doing second reductions much earlier in the afternoon of late, so there's far less going into final reductions. Which makes commercial sense as I have noticed that in the last year or two, there definitely are more people taking stickered food.

But then you've got those people who will take stuff just because it's got a sticker on it, and you've got the regular stickerers who will only take stuff if it's actually worth taking. As @matticus says, 20p off something isn't worth the bother.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
It seems to depend a lot on the manager, but there's also an algorithm that works out how much to take off depending on what the product is, how popular it is and how much of it they have to shift.

First reductions here don't tend to be generous, but second usually (though not always) takes 40 or 50% off. Final reductions is 70 or 75% off, but sometimes, especially with meat and fish, it won't go beyond half price. OTOH if they've a lot of something they need to move, you can get up to 95% off. But that is a rarity these days...

Petrichorwheels

Yes, I've noticed this as well.

me too - my local Sainsburys takes the piss. Must think I'm daft.
Their stinginess reminds me to pedal to Lidl or Aldi and buy the same stuff well in date for less.
For quite some time they have been gathering all the quality bread up (I used to buy for toast) and packing it into yellow bags rather than offering it reduced to their customers. At one time there was an idea that this went to animal feed but they now say they send it to charities. They do this well before closing though so seems to me that their main aim is price maintenance.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
This afternoon in my local Tesco - "Every Little Helps" ... to boost Tesco's profits.
IMG_20230307_132722264.jpg

Better yet, I found the 8 pack of Knorr vegetable stock pots I'd just bought for £2.29 in Tesco for £1.79 in Farm Foods on the way home while looking for the advertised 4 Napolina rustica garlic & basil passata for £1. None on the shelves, of course. Knew it was too good to be true!
Things can only get better!

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Picking up my lunch today (Leeds Arena Co-op for reference) they had Divine chocolate bars in the discount section without a price. So I picked one up. When scanned they'd been reduced from £1.20 to 21p.

There were twelve in the box at that point. There might have only been the empty box left after I found out and went back :whistle:

:mrpig:

That's a man after my own heart! :biggrin:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I thought I'd found the real bargain
A sandwich which I ate and left no shred
It was on bread of the finest grain
But it was out of date and now I'm dead.

Last edited:
Beyond Yellow Label we have the COOP 10p must go today label
I froze a bunch of 10p blueberry packs for adding to yogourt. I generally frooze the 10p packs of Vienna Whorls to munch later.

Top Bottom