Toe Clip Covers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just found out about these. I realize they have a limited window of opportunity for the features & benefits to be worthwile, meaning bike, pedal, shoe, temperature, wind, precipitation & route. past cpl yrs, since I'm a fan of barmitts, I've thought of making my own mini-clip pedal covers out of giant Dunkin Donuts neoprene coffee cup cozies. swapped the mini, aka 1/2 clips for full cages w/ straps, so that I could install these as designed. I'll give them a try on the studded Trek FX & possibly modify them w/ a small tweak here or there. think I put them on correctly. the shop said they would try to make a larger set for me as well. pretty psyched

anyone ever mess w/ these?

P1140139 - SMALL.JPG

P1140140 - SMALL.JPG

Lone Peak Toe Clip Covers

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Why no twist/half twist on the toeclip strap?

screenman

Legendary Member
Over 30 years since I went clueless but I seem to remember putting a twist in the strap on the middle of the pedal, this stopped the strap moving around each time you pulled it tight. Nowadays it is neoprene toe covers or full overshoe when very cold.

classic33

Leg End Member
oh, hmmm, what do you mean?
You do the twist and it looks like this...
Toe-strap-bike-with-twist-in-strap-11133_200x200.gif

just found out about these. I realize they have a limited window of opportunity for the features & benefits to be worthwile, meaning bike, pedal, shoe, temperature, wind, precipitation & route. past cpl yrs, since I'm a fan of barmitts, I've thought of making my own mini-clip pedal covers out of giant Dunkin Donuts neoprene coffee cup cozies. swapped the mini, aka 1/2 clips for full cages w/ straps, so that I could install these as designed. I'll give them a try on the studded Trek FX & possibly modify them w/ a small tweak here or there. think I put them on correctly. the shop said they would try to make a larger set for me as well. pretty psyched

anyone ever mess w/ these?

View attachment 567469
View attachment 567470

Lone Peak Toe Clip Covers
That looks like a good job. I tried something similar (but more half-hearted, just a half-cup type of design); that bike is now back to SPDs.

They seem more useful than bar-mitts to me for 3 reasons:
- your feet do less. You can just put them in one cosy position and leave them there for an hour.
- Affordable warm footwear for bikes is much harder to find. For your hands you can just buy from a huge range of ski-gloves (or shooting, or fishing, ice-climbing etc etc ... )
- Your feet get dirty on the bike in winter. So why not protect them a bit?

yesterday the conditions were just right. high 40sF, heavy rain subsided so it was wet but not raining, & not cold. normally a 2 hr ride would leave me w/ wet shoes & cold toes. swapped the pedals from the hybrid to the fenderless road bike & slide on the bar mitts too. I guess they performed as intended w/ the light hiking shoes. the bike got super nasty from the wet debris on the paved trail, but my shoes remained largely clean & dry. got surprised by a short rain shower which got the rest of the shoes wet, so I wouldn't recommend these for riding in the rain. took the sportcam & cam stick for some test photos. harder than I thought to get pics of spray hitting the covers

ACTP0894 (2).jpg

ACTP0905 (2).jpg

ACTP1010 (2).jpg

ACTP0965 (2).jpg

ACTP0968 (2).jpg

ACTP0969 (2).jpg

ACTP0970 (2).jpg

ACTP1068 (2).jpg

ACTP0988 (2).jpg

nice to have a wind barrier too. now if it will snow a little more ...

View: https://youtu.be/aftcXLfA1bE

Last edited:
Top Bottom