Toe Clips - anyone using them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverbow

Toe clips, I use them and I love 'em, it means I can hop on and off the bike in any shoes and still be able to push and pull a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone uses toe clips to commute in or just me? I haven't seen them on any bikes for a while now, but then I see more tractors than cyclists where I am!

(For those who don't know who Maragret Thatcher is, they are metal/plastic cages that attach to the pedals and hold your feet on, kind of :smile:.)

bonj2

most have now recognised the superiority of clipless pedals, although toeclips do have their die-hard fans or folk who are set in their ways and don't like change. Fair play to them, if that's what suits them.

Used them for years and in the later years I really got to dislike them as the cut into my trainers and ruined them.

You can actually get SPD's one side and an ordinary pedal the other side if need be.

SPD's and clipless pedals are a godsend.

nilling

Über Member
Just had a pair of Shimano 324's fitted to my Dawes. SPDs for commuting and flat pedal for when I'm out with the kids - best of both worlds :smile:

MajorMantra

I use them (with loose straps) because most of my journeys are too short to justify clipless and since I'm going to uni most days there's no option to change into normal shoes. I know in theory SPD shoes can be quite 'walkable' but I'm not sure I'd want to wear them all day. Of course I could be convinced...

Matthew

BSA

I recently completed some bikeability training (free 2 hour session courtesy of Sheffield Council) My instructor used toe clips. I havent seen anyone use them for awhile.

OP
OP
silverbow

silverbow

nilling said:
Just had a pair of Shimano 324's fitted to my Dawes. SPDs for commuting and flat pedal for when I'm out with the kids - best of both worlds :smile:

Are the 324's easy to use? By that I mean, is it easy to flip them over so you can place your foot on the right side of the pedal?

Also, as a matter of interest how easy is it to clip into the clips?

nilling

Über Member
I think they are 'weighted' so that they hang in a way to allow an easy clip in. Not much an issue for the std pedal.

OP
OP
silverbow

silverbow

MajorMantra said:
I use them (with loose straps) because most of my journeys are too short to justify clipless and since I'm going to uni most days there's no option to change into normal shoes. I know in theory SPD shoes can be quite 'walkable' but I'm not sure I'd want to wear them all day. Of course I could be convinced...

Matthew

I keep my straps a little loose as well. I only have a 5 mile commute so I was think the same thing, it's too short to justify changing shoes. I had looked for clipped shoes in the past but couldn't find any wide enough to fit my feet.:smile:

skwerl

I switched back yesterday to see how they'd be as they may well help with knee problems. I put my clipless pedals back on when I got home!
I found the biggest issue was foot slipping on the upstroke as I'm used to pulling under acceleration. They are track pedals so don't have grippy platform, which won't help. That plus the added difficulty of getting foot in on fixed-hub, ie no ability to freewheel whilst getting foot planted, makes it not worth it.

Anyone want some nice, used once NJS-approved MKS track pedals with cages and straps?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I like and use both clips and clipless. My tourer has toe clips, and it gets used for all sorts of odd trips - a utility bike, in fact. Often, not having to change shoes is very useful.

I also have a mountain bike that has huge plastic toe clips. You can use these clips with wellies on - very useful for muddy dog walking or when I want to pop to the village shop but can't be bothered to lace up shoes (we don't wear shoes in the house).

Everything else has clipless.

PrettyboyTim

I used loose toclips up until quite recently when I changed to SPDs. I think now I prefer SPDs but the difference didn't seem to me to be as great as many made out.

Top Bottom