Toe Clips - anyone using them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

silverbow said:
I was just wondering if anyone uses toe clips to commute in or just me?

me as well, I like the way I can wear whatever shoes I like and not spend the winter complaining about cold feet.:biggrin: and then I can park the bike and walk for ages because I've proper shoes on.

MajorMantra

biking_fox said:
Toe clips.

Admittedly I wouldn't like to try them on a fixie, but they seem to be as fast as clipless when pulling away from the lights against other commuters. And with no serious hills on my route there's no need for pulling up.

They work absolutely fine with a fixed gear, providing they're easy to get into. Oddly enough it's easier to get into the toe-clips on my fixed than on my geared bike because the pedals have more pointy tab thingies* to grab the sole of your shoe. I normally get my foot in on the first revolution as it's much hardier once you've picked up some speed.

Matthew

*technical term

wafflycat

I find that using clipless, even when cycling on flat roads, they make cycling soo much more enjoyable as they are simply an effective aid to efficient pedalling. Toe clips, I could never get along with if they were tightened on the shoe as they are supposed to be, and I found them positively dangerous (for me) when in traffic - loosening.. tightening..loosening..tightening... and to use them loose all the time sort of defeats the point of using them in the first place. I also found I had semi-permanent pains up my shins.

Changed to clipless and *JOY* no more shin pain, more effective and efficient pedalling, easy to clip in and out of (became second nature very quickly) even in traffic. I'll never willingly go back to platform pedals with or without toeclips.

MajorMantra

wafflycat said:
I find that using clipless, even when cycling on flat roads, they make cycling soo much more enjoyable as they are simply an effective aid to efficient pedalling. Toe clips, I could never get along with if they were tightened on the shoe as they are supposed to be, and I found them positively dangerous (for me) when in traffic - loosening.. tightening..loosening..tightening... and to use them loose all the time sort of defeats the point of using them in the first place.

To each their own, but I have mine loose enough to pull in and out of but they are still plenty tight enough that I can pull up on the pedals without my feet escaping. I can even skid on the fixed (badly, I should add) if the urge takes me.

Matthew

wafflycat

Crackle said:
After 20 years converted to clipless last year. Clipless are easier but I don't think they'll work well for touring and they're not so convenient but they do have a marginal advantage for climbing.

Touring is an area where clipless *excel* as they make for more efficient, easier pedalling, which is a definite benefit when on a cycle tour - and I have found out from personal experience.

wafflycat

MajorMantra said:
To each their own, but I have mine loose enough to pull in and out of but they are still plenty tight enough that I can pull up on the pedals without my feet escaping. I can even skid on the fixed (badly, I should add) if the urge takes me.

Matthew

Before I went into clipless, I was a toeclip user of many years. I *thought* I was fine using toeclips. Indeed I was a reluctant convert. I was given a pair of Look compatible road shoes for free, and then MrWC bought me the pedals, so I sort of had to give them a go. The using of clipless was a revelation to me.

Originally Posted by the reluctant cyclist
What's supposed to be the advantage of having your foot attached to the pedal - if it is less work for you the I don't want it - I want my cycle commute to be the most hard work I can make it - it's the only exercise I get!!

So do I but it doesn't seem to work as it slows me down.

I don't particularly like being overtaken by numpties and cyclists who I could have taken 20 years ago but it looks like I have to accept it.

I have a bike with a lot of junk on for commuting but it means I can't race these people like I used to.

When I used the Audax 2007 last year I knocked 5 minutes off of my commuting time.

Im going to see how it goes this year as im off the booze now so I want to see if this makes any difference,this is how serious it has got for me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MajorMantra said:

Matthew

I see what you are saying, but you'll never do an 'eye balls out sprint' with them (straps) not tight....not saying that you want to do that...., but I know I throw my bikes all over the place if sprinting/accelerating, and my feet have to be well anchored - both Look equipped bikes tensions are done up tight deliberately. TBH I can't see why more folk don't use SPD type pedals - they are fantastic for all conditions....and if you sometimes use normal shoes, get the SPD/flat ones....

SPD's are the 'dogs googlies' for general utility, commuting and MTB cycling.

wafflycat

Don't forget that there are many types of clipless pedals and what suits one may not suit another. I can't get comfortable with spds (cleat areat too small for me & I get 'hot foot') but with Looks, I'm in seventh heaven. On the other hand, MrWC is more than happy with spds. He too was a reluctant convert to clipless, being an adept user of tradtional toeclips, but even he won't go back to those now. WCMnr, can use spds. spd-sl, Look.. but his absolute favourite are Speedplay - and he much prefers those to any other clipless system. But whatever system you settle with, they are a distinct improvement over platform pedals, with or without toeclips. If they weren't folk would simply go back to using the older system

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you have Looks like mine on the recumbent - I often never unclip once between home and work, so I can have them done up uber tight.

Don't serious trackie sprinters have both look style clipless and double toe straps?

dudi

I never got on with toe clips... but got on with clipless straight away.

P.S. is Betwaters totally regenerated now then? haven't been over that way for years.

D

Deleted member 1258

silverbow said:
Toe clips, I use them and I love 'em, it means I can hop on and off the bike in any shoes and still be able to push and pull a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone uses toe clips to commute in or just me? I haven't seen them on any bikes for a while now, but then I see more tractors than cyclists where I am!
( :tongue:.)

Toe clips here, been using them for over twenty years. Had SPD's on my best bike in 2007 for six months, didn't like them, could not get any advantage from using them and went back to toe clips. I woulden't want clipless on the fixed I use to get to and from work, I want to be able to choose what footware I wear and not be confined to cycle shoes and have to change shoes when I get where I am going. I might try clipless again on the best bike, but a different make, just in case it was the SPD's I didn't like and not the diferent system.

MajorMantra

fossyant said:
I see what you are saying, but you'll never do an 'eye balls out sprint' with them (straps) not tight....not saying that you want to do that...., but I know I throw my bikes all over the place if sprinting/accelerating

That has not been my experience. I can cycle as aggressively as I want without my feet escaping because enough of my shoe goes into the toe-clip that it is quite firmly held. Also, with toeclips and straps you're never going to get a spontaneous release when pulling up which I believe can happen with a worn cleat, usually at the worst possible moment.

I'm certainly not anti clipless pedals though, I might well get them if my circumstances change enough to justify them. I just don't think toe-clips and straps have anywhere near the disadvantages that are sometimes attributed to them.

Matthew

Top Bottom