Toe Clips - anyone using them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
hackbike 666 said:
I thought on some track events the shoes were screwed on.

And they are trying to encourage young cyclists? "Stand still kid, it only stings a bit.....":laugh:

God, I feel out of place here.
I like toe clips, because if I tour I can get off and have a walk around in comfy boots that fit me well.
I could see how not having them done up tight means you can't pull as hard if you're going really, really fast, but I don't care about that.
Of course, I have some SPD shoes, but now I don't have the pedals on any of my bikes, they are really only going to get used again if I take up tap dancing.

I don't find SPD's that bad although Waterloo Concourse can become a skating rink with those on at times.

And they are trying to encourage young cyclists? "Stand still kid, it only stings a bit.....":laugh:

Sorry I thought they did but nobody has confirmed it.

freewheelwilly

skwerl said:
how come? surely wafflycat's example of uk riders using clipless with straps is more efficient?

its 'belt n braces' i suppose. Ive become unclipped when i've been in a sprinting situation and i'm pushing/pulling with all my might - not something i would wish upon anyone. so having a strap in these sprinting conditions makes sense. obviously i wouldnt do it as an everyday thing as i cant track stand and my ride around london requires me to stop frequently.

colinr

How long might it take to get the hang of toe clips? I have some that I intend to fit but there's no way I'm using them on my commute until I'm confident - I counted this morning and I'll need to stop/start at least 6 times and don't want to be flapping around with the pedals while crossing the road. I'm riding fixed gear if that makes it any harder/easier.

MajorMantra

colinr said:
How long might it take to get the hang of toe clips? I have some that I intend to fit but there's no way I'm using them on my commute until I'm confident - I counted this morning and I'll need to stop/start at least 6 times and don't want to be flapping around with the pedals while crossing the road. I'm riding fixed gear if that makes it any harder/easier.

It depends on the pedals/clips you're using. I've had ones that were persistently difficult to get into and ones that were quite easy. The easier ones were sort of spiky and looked a bit like this:

418X5ZPNERL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

When I was using toeclips on my fixed I found it was usually possible to get my foot in on the first turn of the pedals. One thing to be aware of on fixed is that a dangling toeclip can hit the ground and effectively give you pedal strike. Not usually a problem but it can surprise you.

Matthew

Crankarm

Guru
silverbow said:
Toe clips, I use them and I love 'em, it means I can hop on and off the bike in any shoes and still be able to push and pull a bit.

I was just wondering if anyone uses toe clips to commute in or just me? I haven't seen them on any bikes for a while now, but then I see more tractors than cyclists where I am!

(For those who don't know who Maragret Thatcher is, they are metal/plastic cages that attach to the pedals and hold your feet on, kind of :biggrin:.)

Nope. They sound and look horrendous something from a previous dark and distant era. Cycling equipment has advanced considerably. Should imagine they are dangerous if you cannot get your foot off the pedal quickly and safely. They're still used on the track though with cleats but could well be dangerous for road cycling.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I use toeclips and straps and I never have any problems getting my feet on and off the pedals and I have never had a "clipless" type falling off my bike moment using them, and I have used them on every road bike / racer I have had since the early 1990's.

I did however try SPD pedals and I hated them I also came off my bike while trying them and sliced my finger open like a banana split (very messy) something I have never done using Toeclips.

I guess it is up to the individual so I will be sticking to my Toeclips.

colinr

My pedals aren't that spiky. Is the little "tab" to help flip the pedal into position with clips on? I have a tab.

I have toe clips waiting to go on the bike, so want to try and master them. SPDs would mean spending extra cash on something I might not get on with - a new helmet and set of marathon pluses are higher priority for now.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
colinr said:
My pedals aren't that spiky. Is the little "tab" to help flip the pedal into position with clips on? I have a tab.

I have toe clips waiting to go on the bike, so want to try and master them. SPDs would mean spending extra cash on something I might not get on with - a new helmet and set of marathon pluses are higher priority for now.

another option are the powergrips:-

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=12960

I have some of these on order and will do a review when I've tried them

biking_fox

Guru
Nope. They sound and look horrendous something from a previous dark and distant era. Cycling equipment has advanced considerably. Should imagine they are dangerous if you cannot get your foot off the pedal quickly and safely. They're still used on the track though with cleats but could well be dangerous for road cycling.

Illogical tosh.
Toeclips haven't got more dangerous than they ever were!

With cleats you have to twist to release the foot, with clips you flick backwards slightly. Some people will find one easier than the other.

As with cleats, you only take one foot out when stopping and can peddle quite happily with this on the 'wrong' side until you have sufficient momentum for the half stroke to get both feet attached.

As with cleats it will take a couple of rides to become natural, and whenever you change peddles it will take a couple of journies to re-establish how the new peddle works.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ben_3 said:
most have now recognised the superiority of clipless pedals, although toeclips do have their die-hard fans or folk who are set in their ways and don't like change. Fair play to them, if that's what suits them.

Clipless isn't superior if you want to cycle in just whatever shoes you happen to be wearing.

I use the moulded plastic half toeclips, the ones that are just a sort of cup without straps. They are quite sufficient for my cycling, and work with any shoes I like.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:

And no one has ever fallen over through not getting a foot out of a clipless pedal have they?

Sorry, but your 'should imagine' is in this case, no better than most of bonj's assertions...

If they are so dangerous, how have generations of cyclists who used them survived?

Top Bottom