Toe overlapped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I had a bike fit but notice there is a toe overlapped at the front wheel. If I were to do a slow turn with one of my legs pointing forward (either 3 or 9 oclock depending on the direction you look at it), the wheel will be blocked by my shoe at the toe by 18mm. Of course I do understand when one turn at higher speed, the pedal shld be either 6 or 12 oclock and it shouldn’t be affected by the wheel.

I went back to the shop and they said its nothing wrong with the sizing. Do you guys have toe lapped?

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I have it but it has never given me an issue. For slow sharp turns you get used to carrying just enough speed to make the turn without needing to rotate the cranks. At faster speeds it is never an issue as you would be off the bike if you turned that much.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not sure, I think a little on my track bike, never noticed tbh as you need never really turn the front wheel that much unless manoeuvring quite dramatically at very slow speeds and you can consciously accommodate it.

green1

Über Member
Depends on the bike geometry, crank length and how big you feet are. I've got quite a bit of overlap on mine.

snailracer

Über Member
I had a bike fit but notice there is a toe overlapped at the front wheel. If I were to do a slow turn with one of my legs pointing forward (either 3 or 9 oclock depending on the direction you look at it), the wheel will be blocked by my shoe at the toe by 18mm. Of course I do understand when one turn at higher speed, the pedal shld be either 6 or 12 oclock and it shouldn’t be affected by the wheel.

I went back to the shop and they said its nothing wrong with the sizing. Do you guys have toe lapped?
If you buy a racy bike, it is accepted that there might be toe overlap.

on the road

Über Member
I have toe overlap but it's nothing to be worried about, in order to notice you'd have to do something like a 90 degree turn and remain upright.

Svendo

Guru
My Bike has toe overlap, and I was a bit concerned at first. However I found that if I'm going slow enough for the front wheel to turn sufficiently to interfere with a 3 o'clock toe, I usually have a foot unclipped or I'd fall over. It only happens if turning round in very tight spaces, when one normally goes all Swan out of water and fluffs it up anyway! At any actual speed the 'steering' is really all about balance, and turning is done by leaning.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Its does it on my new bike. I think it is because it is a smaller frame than my commuter which means that the front wheel is closer to the frame.
I do have the odd problem when turning at very low speeds and pedalling but it has never made me fall off, just wobble and force my foot past.

Ccchicane

I have a bit of overlap on my new racing bike (trek madone 2.1 h2 geometry) that I didn't have on my old road bike, think it had more relaxed angles, once you are aware of it it's not really a problem :-)

Top Bottom