Toe overlap on gravel bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,
Me again here 😀
So I decided to assemble my new Fuji Jari 1.1 to check if the size (54) is right for me. My height is around 176-177cm. I never used to ride this king of bikes before (droped handlebars I means) and the fist first feeling was a bit strange, when my hand on the goods looks fine, but when off the hoods holding handlebar I feel a bit hatched. And the one thing I noticed that the wheel touches my shoe a bit (I don't use clips, just normal pedals and trainers). So I wondering is this something normal this days in the bikes or the frame is too small for me? I'm afraid if I'll go a bigger size L (56) frame it might be big and will feel stretched. So annoyed with a lots of aspects dropped bar bikes has ^_^

Hi All,
Me again here 😀
So I decided to assemble my new Fuji Jari 1.1 to check if the size (54) is right for me. My height is around 176-177cm. I never used to ride this king of bikes before (droped handlebars I means) and the fist first feeling was a bit strange, when my hand on the goods looks fine, but when off the hoods holding handlebar I feel a bit hatched. And the one thing I noticed that the wheel touches my shoe a bit (I don't use clips, just normal pedals and trainers). So I wondering is this something normal this days in the bikes or the frame is too small for me? I'm afraid if I'll go a bigger size L (56) frame it might be big and will feel stretched. So annoyed with a lots of aspects dropped bar bikes has ^_^
Are you putting your foot in the right place ? Ball of foot over pedal axle ?

You do get foot overlap on some bikes but in practice it's not an issue as you don't really turn the wheel that much.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My TT bike suffers terribly from this, mind it ain't half short wheelbase.

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Are you putting your foot in the right place ? Ball of foot over pedal axle ?

You do get foot overlap on some bikes but in practice it's not an issue as you don't really turn the wheel that much.
Actually good point, I need to check how do I put my feet on a pedal, it coul be that I move the feet a bit forward off the pedal axial so that maybe when the toe overlap happens. Will try tomorrow

vickster

Legendary Member
Is that with or without mudguards, it’s worse with and as said only with tight manoeuvres. If the reach, stand over, doesn’t feel cramped etc all good, unlikely the bike is the wrong size

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I think that normally means that your frame might be too small for you. Though I dont have a gravel bike so i dont know if the geometry is that different from a road bike.

With that said. I suffer from toe overlap on my Triban 540 as well and this has occasionally given me a few brown trouser moments when clipped in around heavy traffic but ive learnt how to deal with it with a change of cleats and riding with one foot unclipped and gotten better at balancing (i could probably track stand by now but i need to practice)

Its not the worst thing in the world though, Its perfectly rideable - Theres even a pro peloton rider who rides frames that are one or two sizes for him in the TdF -- cant remember what his name is.

Judging by the size chart, youre probably on the upper end of the frame size. a 55.5 may have suited you more. 177cm puts you right smack bang in the middle of 55.5 (large) frame.

1646008288932.png

1646008372829.png

yello

I have toe overlap on my fixed. I thought if it was going to be a problem on any bike, it would be that one. In practice, it's not.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi All,
Me again here 😀
I get toe overlap on my gravel bike IF I am using mudguards and wearing winter boots as these are deliberately a size to big for me making them rather long. It's only a problem when turning the bars which is rare and I'm aware of.

By "hatched" I guess you meant to type "hunched." If so I think your set up needs checking. If your satisfied with the set up then also considering the toe overlap the frame could be too small for you.

On all my bikes if I'm on the hoods my upper body is slightly inclined forward with a straight back and a small weight supported through my arms. If I sit up with hands on the bars my body is almost straight and there's no weight in my arms - a very relaxed position. This position should not be hunched or uncomfortable at all in my view.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kingspirit

So basically this how I sit in this bike, really tempted to try frame size up (55.5). The 54 size feels alright, but size 55.5 may be better

Attachments

• IMG-20220301-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20220301-WA0006.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-20220301-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20220301-WA0007.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 52

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think that normally means that your frame might be too small for you. Though I dont have a gravel bike so i dont know if the geometry is that different from a road bike.

Sorry, it's nothing to do with the frame being too small. some bikes have overlap, some don't. I've two almost identical road bikes, same size, just one is a shorter wheelbase and has toe overlap. It's just how it is.

Twilkes

Guru
It's difficult to do a fit via photographs, but that does look a bit wee on first glance, I'm 6ft5/196cm and that's kind of how I look on my bike! It may be that a lot of your height is in the upper body but your legs are proportionately shorter? That might explain the 'hunched' thing you mentioned.

The other thing with toe overlap is everyone's feet are different - I have big feet with long toes so my ideal position has the pedal spindle about a third of the way along my foot, putting my foot further forward than people with proportionately smaller toes, and smaller feet fullstop. Having said that, my old bike had a bit of overlap that meant I had to be careful with very slow tight turning, whereas the new one which is basically the same size doesn't, so some geometry bikes might just have a predisposition to it.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sorry, it's nothing to do with the frame being too small. some bikes have overlap, some don't. I've two almost identical road bikes, same size, just one is a shorter wheelbase and has toe overlap. It's just how it is.
exactly and its as much to do with fork angle as much a top tube length. chances are the larger frame will have same toe overlap.

you steer the bike by leaning not by turning the handlebars

Top Bottom