How do cyclists where you live *usually* greet each you when you pass on the road/track/gravel?

How do cyclists where you live *usually* greet each other when you pass on the road?

• They ignore me and keep their eyes on the road

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Fix me with a steely glare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nod of the head

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Lift fingers off the handlebars in a kind of wave

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • A proper wave/lift of the hand

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Hello/How do?/Hiya/Morning" - a verbal response

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Seems to be different conventions depending where I am in the UK. Is it less friendly the further south I go? Are roadies less friendly?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This has been done on the forum a thousand times.
Say hello or don't say hello. Ignore or don't ignore. It really doesn't matter. If you are the type that gets upset at someone not saying hello when you're on a ride, then cycling's not for you. Enjoy your own ride, don't worry about others.
Its the same where ever you go in the country, so stop with the north/south divide thing.

This mornings rant over. Thanks. :okay:

Oh yes. The penny jar needs topping up... so...
1687506674261.png

edit: Oh yes, sometimes I say hello, sometimes I ignore. Dependent on my cycling mood.

Last edited:
I have found that greeting were more common after lockdown.
Before lockdown they were quite common then during lockdown a lot more people appeared and, clearly, a lot of then didn;t know the unwritten rules
which was OK
but a lot of people went on the same ride day after day due to the rules and so became familiar with the others that did the same

then after lockdown those that continued recognised each other and the greeting became greater in some ways

since then I have expanded my number of routes so I don;t always recognise the people as much

but in general I find that a lot of people still give a brief nod if they are able to
so hard core roadies seem to refuse to acknowledge some old bloke on an ebike - but whatever - if they are hammering along then I assume they are "training" and have their mind on something else

some women refuse to acknowledge fo reaosns that I assume are clear -

but most people are friendly

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It kind of depends on what bike I am riding.
If I'm on my Falcon, old Galaxy or the Raleigh Royal I tend to get ignored by the riders on carbon fibre modern bikes, but acknowledged by others on vintage bikes.
If I'm on my more modern bikes it tends to be the other way around.
Sometimes I'm completely ignored by everyone.
You can't win them all.😁

a.twiddler

Veteran
I do get more acknowledgement than before the lockdowns. It might be just people's attitude to bikes having changed -the different "tribes" within cycling being more defined then, but perhaps now we are all just cyclists. Something else has changed for me since then though. I used to ride a general purpose drop handlebar touring bike, so to casual cyclists maybe I looked like another "roadie", whereas to dedicated roadies I obviously wasn't one of them, though many people did nod or raise a hand. Nowadays I am usually out on some sort of recumbent, and nearly everyone acknowledges me in some way, and many more actually speak as they go past. Not scientific, but that is my experience.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

This has been done on the forum a thousand times.
Say hello or don't say hello. Ignore or don't ignore. It really doesn't matter. If you are the type that gets upset at someone not saying hello when you're on a ride, then cycling's not for you. Enjoy your own ride, don't worry about others.
Its the same where ever you go in the country, so stop with the north/south divide thing.

This mornings rant over. Thanks. :okay:

Oh yes. The penny jar needs topping up... so...
View attachment 695968

edit: Oh yes, sometimes I say hello, sometimes I ignore. Dependent on my cycling mood.

New here, newish to cycling...

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

I do get more acknowledgement than before the lockdowns. It might be just people's attitude to bikes having changed -the different "tribes" within cycling being more defined then, but perhaps now we are all just cyclists. Something else has changed for me since then though. I used to ride a general purpose drop handlebar touring bike, so to casual cyclists maybe I looked like another "roadie", whereas to dedicated roadies I obviously wasn't one of them, though many people did nod or raise a hand. Nowadays I am usually out on some sort of recumbent, and nearly everyone acknowledges me in some way, and many more actually speak as they go past. Not scientific, but that is my experience.

This is interesting. I only started cycling just before lockdown but was inducted to the protocol of waving to other cyclists by my "guru". As a roadie my recent experience is that non-roadies seem really surprised when I say hello to them. Perhaps they were commuting

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If people wave at me I might nod. If people don't wave, all the better. I don't have to nod - marginal energy saving.

Inside London, cyclists are sufficiently plentiful, and we have better things to concentrate on (like not getting killed) so there tends to be less waving and nodding and all that malarkey.

Top Bottom