How do cyclists where you live *usually* greet each you when you pass on the road/track/gravel?

How do cyclists where you live *usually* greet each other when you pass on the road?

• They ignore me and keep their eyes on the road

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Fix me with a steely glare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nod of the head

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Lift fingers off the handlebars in a kind of wave

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • A proper wave/lift of the hand

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Hello/How do?/Hiya/Morning" - a verbal response

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
If people wave at me I might nod. If people don't wave, all the better. I don't have to nod - marginal energy saving.

Inside London, cyclists are sufficiently plentiful, and we have better things to concentrate on (like not getting killed) so there tends to be less waving and nodding and all that malarkey.

Yes, I do find that when in the city (Cardiff for me), cyclists are less likely to acknowledge each other than when out on the open roads.

Cirrus

Veteran
Yes, I do find that when in the city (Cardiff for me), cyclists are less likely to acknowledge each other than when out on the open roads.

Similar to walking for me, if I’m in a busy city it’s simply not practical to greet everyone, whereas if I’m walking in the wilds and I pass someone on a trail it’d be pretty odd not to acknowledge them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I saw this thread title and (before opening) thought "where is @ianrauk when the world needs him?" - probably still on the school gate at Loughton!
Some people (if the cap fits, wear it; not you Ian) can't help lowering the tone on here, for what is a serious ;) issue.

Last edited:
  • Laugh
Reactions: C R

presta

Guru
Riders in Lycra acknowledge me when I'm in Lycra, and riders in civvies acknowledge me when I'm wearing civvies. Other than that, I've not noticed any pattern.
A lady smiled at me once, then I gave her a pump.
I saw a girl riding a bike with a wheel out of true once, she was most ungrateful when I offered to give her nipples a tweak.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Unsurprisingly, the higher their exertion level,the less likely they are to communicate.
Hence the guy/gal pottering about on a shopping bike will be more chatty than the club riding in a 25mph peloton.
Very little difference when they're stationary.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Riders in Lycra acknowledge me when I'm in Lycra, and riders in civvies acknowledge me when I'm wearing civvies. Other than that, I've not noticed any pattern.

I saw a girl riding a bike with a wheel out of true once, she was most ungrateful when I offered to give her nipples a tweak.

2nd call for @Fnaar

Last edited:
Top Bottom