How do cyclists where you live *usually* greet each you when you pass on the road/track/gravel?

How do cyclists where you live *usually* greet each other when you pass on the road?

• They ignore me and keep their eyes on the road

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Fix me with a steely glare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nod of the head

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Lift fingers off the handlebars in a kind of wave

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • A proper wave/lift of the hand

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • "Hello/How do?/Hiya/Morning" - a verbal response

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I some of the remote country laybys round here the cyclists seem very friendly indeed, especially at night.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not going to read the four pages, but as a Land Rover owner I have suffered 'the wave' mentality from many a new owner who thinks they have just joined a club by buying a Land Rover!

No you have not. Once you have faced 10 years of keeping your stupid old car on the road despite it costing you a fortune at the garage (learn to fix it yourself, loser!), Then you can wave at the remaining die hards that still soldier on. The rest just get a stoney faced stare!

Similar with cycling. Johnny come lately might buy a bike and ride through the summer, but save your wave for the guy you are still seeing in 18 months time that has ridden through more than one season.

The wave should be like Chapeau (look it up) to the hardcore that have kept it up....

Just my opinion.

Sharky

Guru
I try and wave/nod/shout at most cyclists when we cross, regardless of their perceived cycling age or ability.

On my regular commute(when I was working), I used to pass this gent on a sit "up and beg" Raleigh roadster. We always exchanged waves. Even when it was a day for me to take the car, he would wave!

Another instance, when I was on my tandem trike with my daughter, a "pack" of m'bikers went past in their leathers. One of them on one of those massive trikes, surprised me by waving to me, which I quickly returned.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not going to read the four pages, but as a Land Rover owner I have suffered 'the wave' mentality from many a new owner who thinks they have just joined a club by buying a Land Rover!

No you have not. Once you have faced 10 years of keeping your stupid old car on the road despite it costing you a fortune at the garage (learn to fix it yourself, loser!), Then you can wave at the remaining die hards that still soldier on. The rest just get a stoney faced stare!

Similar with cycling. Johnny come lately might buy a bike and ride through the summer, but save your wave for the guy you are still seeing in 18 months time that has ridden through more than one season.

The wave should be like Chapeau (look it up) to the hardcore that have kept it up....

Just my opinion.

Mercedes drivers greet each other by standing in the sunroof and shouting through a megaphone as they drive into Poland.

Just my opinion.

not sure how you tell the difference between someone who has just bought "all the gear" and rides 3 times each summer

and someone who rides an old hybrid - but does it 5 times a week come rain or shine??

Hence I try to treat everyone the same
might just cheer someone up - worth a try

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
"Howdo?" For seasoned veloists: I check out how faded are their shirt-backs, and can spot white cloth bar tape at half a mile.

Get off and genuflect: for anyone passing me in Tudor woolly longs, in whichever direction.

Ignore: anyone in a helmet; anyone sporting an Airzound horn; commuters; folders ( what the hell are they doing out of town?)

Everyone else: the very slightest twitch of my right index finger, while maintaining eye contact with the horizon.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sharing similar views to @ianrauk I was going to give the thread a damn good ignoring, but I had the best ever wave yesterday. I was barrelling along the side of the Canal de Roubaix (see yesterdayā€™s Ride Today) and this little kid, Iā€™m guessing heā€™s about 3, rolls out of a canal-side garden on his big wheel, plants himself right in the middle of the path and starts waving as I approach and shouting ā€œBonjour, bonjour, bonjourā€¦.ā€. Iā€™m a sucker for a daft kid so I give him the full wave and bonjour treatment back, which absolutely made both our days.

But otherwise- waving- donā€™t give a shoot either way.

Top Bottom