Token T90TK Carbon Tubular 90mm Track Wheelset – an interesting conundrum!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stompier

Sorry to dig this up, but it’s worth pointing out that Vittoria’s Pista range now feature a ‘treaded’ surface over the contact area, so a requirement for track tyres to be ‘slick’ will not be the issue.

Also worth mentioning that my son has a deep section front (which he uses mainly for outdoor tracks) which has a 23mm tub fitted to a 25mm wide rim with no issues at all. The 25mm rim bed provides a nice wide gluing surface for the tub and the glue is not any more 'stressed' than it would otherwise be, in fact probably less so, as 100% of the tub backing tape is in contact with the rim.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Sorry to dig this up, but it’s worth pointing out that Vittoria’s Pista range now feature a ‘treaded’ surface over the contact area, so a requirement for track tyres to be ‘slick’ will not be the issue.

Also worth mentioning that my son has a deep section front (which he uses mainly for outdoor tracks) which has a 23mm tub fitted to a 25mm wide rim with no issues at all. The 25mm rim bed provides a nice wide gluing surface for the tub and the glue is not any more 'stressed' than it would otherwise be, in fact probably less so, as 100% of the tub backing tape is in contact with the rim.

I wasn't aware that track tyres needed to actually be slick to be honest?

Sorry but I have to disagree with you about the suitability of fitting 23mm tubs on rim designed for 25mm tubs, and clearly Token did as they stopped the production of them. Before gluing them on, fully inflate a 23mm tub on a 25mm rim and look at the gap on each side, its a risk that I simply wasn't prepared to take to be honest.

And talking of gluing, I thought that the use of tub tape was allowed on indoor tracks, even though you say its mainly on outdoor tracks, I assume that he uses the wheel/tyre combo indoors as well?

Stompier

I wasn't aware that track tyres needed to actually be slick to be honest?

Neither am I. I don't think there is any such specific regulation, tbh. Indeed the fact that Vittoria's Pista tubs are now effectively 'treaded' kind of indicates that there isn't.
Sorry but I have to disagree with you about the suitability of fitting 23mm tubs on rim designed for 25mm tubs, and clearly Token did as they stopped the production of them. Before gluing them on, fully inflate a 23mm tub on a 25mm rim and look at the gap on each side, its a risk that I simply wasn't prepared to take to be honest.

The tyre is narrower than the rim, but only marginally, and it's not a problem in use. I don't see a risk there - and indeed, the boy has used them on 42 degree indoor banking without issue.

And talking of gluing, I thought that the use of tub tape was allowed on indoor tracks, even though you say its mainly on outdoor tracks, I assume that he uses the wheel/tyre combo indoors as well?

When I mentioned tape, I was referring to the cloth backing tape already fitted to the mating surface of the tub - not 'tub tape' as such, which is something different. He has a deep section front which sometimes gets used for outdoor tracks, depending on conditions (ie wind, etc). He has a five spoke and/or a front disc for indoor use, depending on event.

Last edited:
Top Bottom