Told off by a driver....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
Happily cycling along, get to some lights, car pulls up in next lane and rolls down window: "ho you!"

What could he be complaining about? Should I have been paying some road tax, be ashamed for holding up all the traffic, maybe I was at fault for not cycling in the gutter?

"Yes?"
"You were speeding back there!! I was doing 30mph exactly and you were going faster than me, so you were speeding!"

I assumed he was joking and laughed politely... "It's not funny, speed kills - so use your brakes eh?!"

Made my morning :biggrin:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
The GF had a friend who's mother activated the warning lights telling her to slow down a couple of years ago. It was a downhill section, apparently, but I don't know where.

Recycler

I wonder how often he monitors car drivers and passes on his helpful advice to them.

....Edit,.... beaten to it by the whisky man!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I wish I had that guy on my tail yesterday.
Was doing just over 30 in a 30 zone when some young fool decides it was a good time to overtake just meters before a pinch point. Nice one jackass.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The GF had a friend who's mother activated the warning lights telling her to slow down a couple of years ago. It was a downhill section, apparently, but I don't know where.

Did it myself last year in Grindleford, first time out on the new bike :-) and on my 1st group ride.

User269

I wonder how often he monitors car drivers and passes on his helpful advice to them.

....Edit,.... beaten to it by the whisky man!
Great minds think alike.

snorri

Legendary Member
I was signalled to by a driver and passenger this evening.
On a rural road I was aware of a car behind me, I heard the bass notes of the "music". The engine note hinted the vehicle was slowing, and my internal alarm bell was beginning to sound as the said vehicle pulled along side but maintained a safe distance. I looked over to see the car window open and driver and passenger, two young ladies, waving and smiling broadly. I returned the wave with a smile as they sped off to look for someone younger but they brightened up a rather dull day for me.^_^

Svendo

Guru
There's one (speed limit advisory sign thingy) here I used to regularly activate, but since the roadwork that took over a year (retaining wall rebuilding) it's not been working. And it would be easier now as there's a better surface leading up to it.

eddiemee

I wonder if he would prefer to be hit by a car doing 29 than a bike doing 35? I think we know the answer to that.

Bigsharn

Veteran
I wonder if he would prefer to be hit by a car doing 29 than a bike doing 35? I think we know the answer to that.

I'd prefer to get hit by a car, it's more weight but it's a softer surface to land on (bonnets flex, handlebars not so much), and being hit by a car would only hurt one person (myself) whereas being hit by a bike would hurt myself, the rider and (in the case of a motorbike) anyone riding as a pillion passenger.

</Mr Pedantic>

Back on topic, there's one ~3/4 of a mile from my house that I set off all the time. The fact being I rarely exceed 22mph on that stretch and it's only set for 20 makes me think it's settings are a bit off...

Except you weren't speeding. Speed limits, except is some specific locations such as Royal Parks, only apply to motor vehicles. Feel free to ride as fast as it is safe to on your bike. You are even entitled to legally exceed 70mph if you want a real challenge to go for.

Top Bottom