Tomorrow I go fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've not stopped riding fixed since my last post, but mostly because I've lost a screw for my coaster brake and builders have taken over the spare room will all my bike bits in it!

I think I'm going to build up a secondary hack for fixed riding ... although that Fuji Track that's been sitting in my local Evans for the last year unloved and untouched is seriously tempting. Currently at £620 ... I wonder if they could be convinced to take £400 for it ;)

i bet if say £350 you'll get it for £450

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
There seem to be some Fixie bargains about at the moment in the 2011 stock clearances - I'm wondering if this is the time to take the plunge...

<deep breath>

...OK - order placed!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Wow I've been riding fixed for almost 2 months now!
So with the wind picking up I put my 3-speed coaster wheel back on.

It feels ... wrong!

My pedals no longer come up to meet me when I start off making it easier to clip in.

My bike is noticeably heavier.

There feels like a BIG gap of innefficient nothing between having moved pedals back to coaster brake to then moving them forwards to engage the drive chain, like half a rotation or something.

It's maybe the weather, but I felt like it was easier to push 48x17 uphill fixed than it is to push 48x18 uphill with the hub.

The constant clicking from the hub gear is troublesome. Freewheel even worse. It is nice to be able to freewheel sometimes, but I do feel like I'm cheating when I do so - with that big clicking whirr screaming "LOOK AT THIS GUY HE'S CHEATING!".

Oh no I think I get it.

Oh dear!

Wow I've been riding fixed for almost 2 months now!
So with the wind picking up I put my 3-speed coaster wheel back on.

It feels ... wrong!

My pedals no longer come up to meet me when I start off making it easier to clip in.

My bike is noticeably heavier.

There feels like a BIG gap of innefficient nothing between having moved pedals back to coaster brake to then moving them forwards to engage the drive chain, like half a rotation or something.

It's maybe the weather, but I felt like it was easier to push 48x17 uphill fixed than it is to push 48x18 uphill with the hub.

The constant clicking from the hub gear is troublesome. Freewheel even worse. It is nice to be able to freewheel sometimes, but I do feel like I'm cheating when I do so - with that big clicking whirr screaming "LOOK AT THIS GUY HE'S CHEATING!".

Oh no I think I get it.

Oh dear!
Yes, I rather think you have, and when you've got it, nothing else will do.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Yes, I rather think you have, and when you've got it, nothing else will do.

yep he's right....i'm selling all my geared bikes at mo and buying another frame to build. that'll leave me with just 2 fixies, a non icy/snowy days alloy one with 23mm tyres and a winter one with 35mm winter studded tyres. then it's just a case of riding and a LOT less fettling and buying.

Bicycle

Fixed is huge fun, but I think you really have to be sure of yourself before selling anything you have with gears or freewheel.

I ride regularly to my Mother-inLaw's house - 70 miles away over hills. The thought of doing that ona fixie fills me with aches. I'll happily do 110 miles on it, but not up and down big hills!

Also, I'd be very worried about going off-road without freewheel. Does anyone actually do that?

I don't mean the odd excursion down a footpath, I mean OFF-ROAD...

Much as I adore riding fixed, I cannot imagine trying it on an MTB without nice, smooth tarmac to keep the speed of your wheel nice and smooth.

If you're brave enough to ride OFF-ROAD fixed, do tell!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I gave up on fixed gear after about 2 weeks.

I was using SPD-SL's and it was a little bit difficult clipping in all the time in heavy london traffic but just about manageable.
The thing i hated the most was what you hint towards, the switching between fixed and freewheel, it just felt so weird, weird enough to make me just go to freewheel instead of fixed.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Can you manage to skid stop a fixed with no rear brake?

People put rear brakes on fixed?

But, yes. Not very well though. Spent an evening learning with a couple of fixie types. My right knee was buggered the next day, but I can do it.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
So, got a 2011 Langster from JE James, did 150 miles SS to build up some leg strength and then flipped the rear wheel to the fixed side. And it's great! The 69" gear is well matched to the undulating roads of North Shropshire/the Welsh borders and a 55 mile ride on a fixie is a real fun workout. I'm much happier getting out of the saddle now and my knees are noticeably improved - is that something to do with improved blood flow from the fact that your legs are in constant motionr?

The bike has an aluminium frame with carbon forks so it's robust and comfortable. At half the price of my Surly I'm a lot less worried about it getting nicked. In fact, that's the only downside - the Cross Check is hanging in the garage - unused since the Langster arrived. That's a bit sad. Maybe I should convert it to fixed!
thumbsup.png

Well i've been riding Fixed now for a week and thoroughly enjoying it...but am going out later on the Geared Roadbike so that will feel strange.... but need to use it a little before the next FNRttC....although i'm seriously thinking of riding the Southend FNRttC Fixed.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
As you know.

I somehow missed this was an old thread.

Anyway, I've got a rear brake on my fixed. I sometimes use it for touring or pulling the trailer to the skip- because I'm extremely hard, obviously.

But not so hard that I can stop a trailer piled up with junk and old carpet by leg-braking.

Top Bottom