Too heavy!! - what can I leave behind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ask them to mark the box as 'gift' ;)

andrew_s said:
it may not be all that far short of £300 by the time you add evrything up :biggrin:

There's $260 for the bag
There shipping
There's currency exchange charges to pay for the bag and the shipping
There's tax on the bag
There's tax on the shipping
There's tax on the currency exchange charges
There's the other tax on the bag
There's the tax on the tax you've already paid for the bag
There's the tax on the tax you've already paid for the shipping
There's the tax on the tax you've already paid for the currency exchange charges
Then to cap it all off, the delivery people (UPS, Royal Mail or whoever) charge you for the privilege of paying all the tax.

Sometimes it gets through the system without you getting charged any of the tax, but you shouldn't rely on it

PpPete

Legendary Member
willem said:
British PHD bags have a similar quality, and are considerably cheaper. I am afraid good camping gear is expensive, and very good gear even more so. Western Mountaineering represents the very best there is, and is not made in a Chinese sweatshop.
Willem

Actually PHD are better quality, lighter and cheaper
Even their very lightest bag is not "stitched through" like that Western Mountaineering one. £169 is still not really cheap (even if they are made in Greater Manchester!!!!) - and anyway Redbike told us he has circulation probs and needs something warmer.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Well i've just done my first experimental first bivvy/wild camp
You can read about it here http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/05/wet-bivvy.html
The camping equipment was far far too heavy and the tent wasn't even waterproof.

The tent has gone in the bin (seriously!!)
and I will be investing in a new tent or bivvy bag and a new lighter-weight sleeping bag to use solely for warmer nights.

I will also be buying dry bags!!

willem

Über Member
Educating indeed. Get a good quality tent first, and don't split your budget between an indifferent tent and a mediocre bag. The tent really is first and foremost. Ortlieb panniers are great, but with bin liners your existing ones will also be waterproof.
Willem

Wow! That's an impressive mini epic but you know what, they're the best. You learn so much from doing stuff like that, far more than anyone can tell you. I read Trio's blog too, it was interesting and amusing to get another perspective of the same ride - Great stuff. You'll be trotting that story out for a years to come and it'll get better in the telling: I'm jealous ;)

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

willem said:
Educating indeed. Get a good quality tent first, and don't split your budget between an indifferent tent and a mediocre bag. The tent really is first and foremost. Orlieb panniers are great, but with bin liners your existing ones will be waterproof.
Willem

I'm torn between a bivvy bag and a tent. I might go for a one man back-packing tent.

I intend to try and avoid panniers in the future. They didn't work very well off-road. Pushing/carrying the bike was a nightmare and the handelling was scary.

Very few makes of pannier bag would of stayed dry. They were submerged in the swamp on several occations as the bike sunk that deep.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Crackle said:
Wow! That's an impressive mini epic but you know what, they're the best. You learn so much from doing stuff like that, far more than anyone can tell you. I read Trio's blog too, it was interesting and amusing to get another perspective of the same ride - Great stuff. You'll be trotting that story out for a years to come and it'll get better in the telling: I'm jealous :blush:

Trio is used to these adventures. I'm sure that was just a typical mid-week ride for her :o)

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

My next trip will be mostly road and I will be making good use of my trailer. I don't need to worry too much about weight for this one. Just pile everything in the trailer then make good use of the MTBs low gears to winch myself up the road climbs.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Crankarm said:
Have you thought maybe golf would be a better, more enjoyable and successful past time for you?

I'm not too sure what you mean by that.

Have you seen me play golf? The last time I played I hit a ball off the tee and instead of going forwards up the fairway it went sideways. I hit someone walking along the path! Needless to say they wern't exactly happy!

Randochap

Senior hunter
My approach would be to stick with panniers ... and avoid swamps. Those are best left to Amazonians and the late Ian Hibell.

As for tents, I can vouch that this is the most important piece of kit. It must protect against all kinds of weather ... and bugs.

I'm partial to the next step up from a bivi -- the one-person tent. Make sure it has a good vestibule. You should be able to come in at under 3 lbs.

I've spent months on the road in all kinds of (Yukon/Alaska) weather in a very good unit from MSR.

Good adventure report, BTW.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Thanks Randchap. I've toured on the road (Only credit card / hotel) with a trailer before and found it easier than panniers.

Off-road i've decided it's probably best to go as light as possible and use a rucksack. The extra weight of panniers or a trailer makes pushing and carrying the bike an absolute nightmare.

I'm already plotting / planning my next route. It's nearly all road / very light off-road and I will be using the trailer. By then I will also have a much lighter tent or bivvy bag and a lighter sleeping bag. I don't think i'm going to change anything else though.

Top Bottom