Too heavy!! - what can I leave behind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

IMAGE_458.jpg

I'm doing a short (still 200km) off-road ride very shortly.
I finally got around to testing out my fully laiden touring setup and it's not good. It's just far too heavy to be ridden off-road. I've got to put it on a major diet and preferably loose that trailer!

I have a sleeping bag (big blue thing on top)
A camping mat
A bivvy tin, camping stove, spork + tin mug, tea bags
A tesco tent

A change of jersey,
A change of shorts (leggings)
jeans, teashirt, boxers, spare socks.
A fleese coat, wooly hat, waterproof coat
solar phone charger (freeloader).
Toothpaste+ brush,
Handfull of babywipes.

Map, garmin, batteries and phone in a holder on the bars.

Camelbak with two spare tubes, water, pump and multitool, tyre levers and zip ties.

How can I fasten the sleepingbag + mat to the bike? They're far too big to go in the panniers.

What can I leave behind? - (1 poss 2 night trip).

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Probably difficult to cut down the weight without investing in new kit i.e. tent and sleeping bag. The jeans will be heavy. I'd take some lightweight trousers, if you need to take anything at all.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Get a compression sack for the sleeping bag and compress it down?
It should go down pretty small.
Dont leave it in this bag though, it will damage the bag. But for when your riding it will be fine to be compressed.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Jakes Dad said:
Lay it across the top of the panniers and use a Bungee ?

Simon

I can put the camping mat there OR perhaps the sleeping bag but probably not both. I will have to play around and see what fits!
Perhaps velcro straps instead of bungee cords. These things have got to stay in place while being bounced around on a hardtail off-road.

Perhaps I can tie the mat under the handlebars? I hope the gear/brake cables don't mind being squashed.

bonj2

RedBike said:
How can I fasten the sleepingbag + mat to the bike? They're far too big to go in the panniers.

bungee them to the top of the panniers.
can't see anything else there that's too big to go in panniers.
possibly panniers + rack top bag although the rack top bag might push the rolled up sleeping bag a bit too high./

TheKrellMachine

That camping mat weighs 1800g ! ditch it and sleep on your spare clothes

Bodhbh

Guru
If it's jsut a mess about for a weekend is it really too heavy or just need to get used to the handling etc? Living about 15miles down the road from Ivenhoe Beacon I've ridden the Ridgeway several times now with jeans, doc martens, kitchen stereo, 1/2 a crate of Guinness, all sorts of heavy nonsense and it's been fine, although wouldn't want to drag it around for 2 weeks.

Mate I've sent you a pm regarding weight etc.

I'm new to touring too and like you I almost made the mistake of buying heavy kit. I'm glad I didn't to be honest as I'm not sure I could lug around all that lol.

I have an airbed (520g)
3 season sleeping bag (1kg)
tent (1.5kg)

Cost about £80 all brand new.

Now considering your airbed is almost 2kg, you kinda get the idea of how your gear is a little on the heavy side.

The airbed is a 3/4 airbed designed for bike touring (what's the point in having a full one?, you don't need one under the end of your legs) hence the weight.

I'm considering doing my first tour with a rucksack lol and a small bag on my bike such is the low weight of everything.

Crankarm

Guru
Jakes Dad said:
Lay it across the top of the panniers and use a Bungee ?

Simon

Buy a motorcyle net. They are only about a fiver. Far better than a bungee although they can be helpful. You never know then you will need one.

How heavy is your tent? You have two big bags on your trailer what's in them? Tis better to travel light. You can get 1 man tents that weigh 800g - Hilleberg and Vango and inflatable mats that weigh almost nothing. Don't bother with hammers or mallets for tent pegs. You proably won't be able to get pegs out that easily anyway if you have to bash them in :becool:.

For a couple of nights touring you could almost get by with just a single pannier and tent.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That sleeping bag is a heavyweight winter bag. You'll sweat like a pig at this time of year.
This one is half the weight and will pack to 1/3 the size, at a similar price
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/Products/FT/PID-Stormlite+Rolling+Clouds+500+Sleeping+Bag-785050.aspx

A self-inflating mat like the Wee Airic or this Vango saves a lot of packing space. The thinner ones fold in half longways before you roll them up, and 3/4 length is enough - just put a spare jersey down for your feet to go on.

If you can get the sleeping bag and mat inside the panniers, it just leaves the (possibly wet) tent to strap on top, and makes packing much easier.

Saving weight off the tent would tend to cost. The lightweight 1.5kg tents are mostly about £200. There's this MSR at 1.3kg, £153. This Argos tent 2.1kg, £24 saves a bit, and is probably more weather resistant, but is pretty small.
Don't think about a single-skin tent. They are condensation traps and you'll get wet.

Here's my packing list for a one night trip (last post)
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30252&page=2

Top Bottom