Too heavy!! - what can I leave behind?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
RedBike said:
T

Off-road i've decided it's probably best to go as light as possible and use a rucksack.

I'm already plotting / planning my next route. It's nearly all road / very light off-road and I will be using the trailer. By then I will also have a much lighter tent or bivvy bag and a lighter sleeping bag..

Well, everyone has their own approach, but I really don't like trailers and hate rucksacks -- unless they are convertable panniers for use off the bike.

But then I don't cycle tracks that are better suited to hiking, unless I'm out for the day on an unburdened MTB.

We're lucky (in a way) here to have thousands of kilometres of decommissioned logging roads that are mostly rideable without the need to dismount, haul, push or otherwise manhandle ones bike over.

These give access to more territory than one person could ever explore in a lifetime.

BTW, I'm working on a section of VeloWeb that will discuss ultra lightweight touring or "passhunting."

Happy trails,

RC

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Well, everyone has their own approach, but I really don't like trailers and hate rucksacks -- unless they are convertable panniers for use off the bike.

But then I don't cycle tracks that are better suited to hiking, unless I'm out for the day on an unburdened MTB.

I would definately prefer to have the weight on the bike (or trailer) too if I was on the road. I commute with panniers because I hate the sweaty back you get from a rucksack. I also like to get out of the saddle on some hills which always seems harder work with a rucksack than panniers.

However, I found it was extremely hard work to carry your bike up muddy slopes/ through streams when it was heavily laiden with panniers. I also found all that extra weight high up was somewhat intresting in slippy conditions.

P.H

Über Member
That's one you're not going to forget in a hurry, great stuff and a good read. I’m glad it’s not put you off for life.
IMO your problems stem from the amount of kit rather than where you carried it. For one or two nights you should be able to get you kit down to below 10kg without too much trouble or expense. I can do that with tent and bedding weighing 4kg. It’s more about choices and being a bit ruthless with your packing list than about how much you spend. I like bacon for breakfast as much as anyone, but I’d have waited for the café. On anything less than a week, I’ll only carry enough cooking gear to boil water, tea, powder milk, instant soup and noodles.
I don’t ride any serious off road, if I did and was carrying less than 10kg I’d be tempted to split it between a rucksack and a dry bag on the bike, in the hope that I wouldn’t notice either too much. I’m looking forward to the next installment..:thumbsup:

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

P.H.

The tent was advertised at 2.6kg. It actually weight 3.2kg
The sleeping mat weighes 1.5kg dry. After getting a soaking it weighed 2.0kg
The sleeping bag was suppost to weigh 2.25kg, it weighed 3.0kg.

Thats 8kg of stuff thats pretty muych essential.

I also took a spork sharp knife, a tin mug, frying pan and bowl. (These weighed very little.) say 1kg, A camping stove (fairly heavy) say 1.5kg.

A light for the bike and a head torch, say 2kg. If we had of done the planned route we would of been riding / finding a camping spot at night and I would of no-doubt been very greatful for these; but as it happens on this occation they wern't needed.

I took a spare coat (ended up wearing both so glad I did). A change of tee-shirt and a pair of shorts, water-proof socks. I've no idea of weight, say 2kg?

This is all a bit of guess work but I think i'm looking at somewhere around the 15kg mark + the weight of the racks and various stuff sacks/bags. (Its no wonder that I struggled to lift the back of the bike!)

The food (including the bacon) was brought at the last shop we came across and was only really carried for a few miles.

Top Bottom