Too many punctures-recommend me a tyre!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigCoops

I use Gators in my commuting bike, 15 miles a day on back, country lanes and very few p*******s to speak of. As long as you keep the pressure up, they work well.

I tried Duranos once, the etape version, never again, lovely plush feeling tyre but having one split right across the tread (and through the blue puncture resistant insert) after less than 50 miles use, with no observable foreign object to blame put me off them. (I should add, there may have been an external reason for such a failure, but I couldn't find it).

To be honest, I have tried everything - duranos, gatorskins, marathons and the only ones I can recommend are marathon pluses. I know they are heavy, a pig to put on etc etc, but after having 4 consecutive punctures these are my commuting tires.

I think in the summer and when its dry you can pretty much ride what you like, however when it rains things get a bit more tricky.

I pretty much had all my punctures in the wet and cold, so will change for spring and summer, maybe!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Used these for many years, unfortunately some of us went on about how good they were with the inevitable result, Bontrager now make several versions with a similar name and the price has gone up by a third. You used to be able to buy these for between £12 and £15 from All Terrain Cycles or JE James, not anymore :sad:.

You can when All Terrain have their tyre sales, normally pick them up for less than a tenner each

vickster

Legendary Member
I recently got some for £17 each from Evans on a match against JE James I think it was (prefer to be able to collect tyres)

BigCoops

Personally, I think you gotta be realistic, you ride enough, the fairy is gonna visit sooner or later. There are things which help, correct pressures and not riding through glass etc, but...

Simply put, there ain't no such thing as a puncture 'proof' tyre, merely different levels of resistance, there is (IMHO) no better money spent than a good, portable pump or inflator/quality levers and a supply of tubes and no better time spent than learning to swap tubes as quick as possible.

Inner tubes are less than £2 each online, ride til the hiss then swap the thing out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Inner tubes are less than £2 each online, ride til the hiss then swap the thing out.
Or you could just screw the planet directly :rolleyes:

Anyway, patches are only a few pence and far quicker to use as you don't even need to remove the wheel...

gmw492

Veteran
Continental Grand Prix folding tyre seems to get good reviews just an alternative if you don't fancy the brown rim on the Gatorskins...

Top Bottom