Too much snobbery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Unless you are a POB?

Even a POB is a cyclist, calling someone a POB is one example of bike snobbery.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
There is no snobbery in cycling, the oiks just need to be kept in their place

Yous etc.
Sir Rupert Campag-Roberts-Condor of Tonbridge Wells

Indeed, Sir Rupert. As my great uncle Bertrand once remarked, the empire needs ditch diggers *almost* as much as it needs the nobility. He was such an inclusive, progressive fellow.

To the OP, read this. Or listen to Grant from Rivendell; "A bike should only be so fancy. There's a line, and it's easy to cross it."

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Even a POB is a cyclist, calling someone a POB is one example of bike snobbery.

If you're on the militant edge of the "ize" movements, it's the highest compliment you can be paid; "cyclists" are lycra wearing traitors lobbying against Dutch style bicycling utopia, and stopping Joe Bloggs from taking to two wheels, don't you know.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
stephenite in reply to your question

How many bikes do you have Biggsy?

It's not quality it's quantity that counts

3 rideable all costing less than £100 ea + 1 x tandem cost £250

then 3 x frame projects and loads of spare wheels etc etc .

it does not worry me 1 bit as like others say the bike might be 4 oz lighter than mine but the rider is 2 stone heavier

i do enjoy commuting on my cheap bikes and so should others

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The reason I joined this forum is that it seemed far less snobbish than the other place I used to hang around. Snobs! I hate 'em! I hate 'em! I hate 'em!

tsk tsk... such snobbery!
whistling.gif
biggrin.gif

Bobtoo

Über Member
POB = Person on bike?

I don't see a lot of snobbery on here. Clearly there are people spending a lot of money, but there are just as many with bitzas ans eBay specials.

On the road I look like a Last of the Summer Wine character but I still get a "hello" from most "pro" cyclists I encounter.

twobiker

How does the other cyclist know that you just chose not to spend all that money on a bike, not that you couldn't, most of them are just race around the blockers anyway, 40/50 miles flat out and then home again for some lentil soup.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I have noticed on my rides around here that when I wave "hello" to someone and I'm dressed like a civilian, I get far fewer waves back than when I dress like a "Pro". Guess I'll have to live with that. I dress less and less like a pro these days - I might even stop wearing lycra altogether as my Brookes is plenty comfy enough.
Woops! Just blown my cover! I have a Brookes whereas I guess the OP only has a cheap plastic saddle!

Saddle bum

Über Member
What does boil my p**s is being ignored by some oik in baggys riding a bike with three months crud on it when yours truely looks like the immaculate conception on a gleaming road bike. They must be ashamed of the way they look.

Top Bottom