Too much snobbery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Agreed.

I met Dave for a local ride on Sunday. I did look at his bike (as you do), but to be honest I can't even remember what make it was. It doesn't bother me what people ride. I've had people turn up for my forum rides on cheap hybrid bikes and others on bikes costing many thousands of pounds but I judge the rider, not the bike.

I have made a bit of a statement on my bike - that I don't take myself too seriously! My sister bought me a child's novelty bike 'horn' as a joke Christmas present and dared me to put it on my bike. Ever since, I have been riding around with a yellow plastic dragon head attached to my handlebars. I always give families a 'squeak' when I cycle past and the kids smile when they see the dragon.

I do remember you were riding a Basso, but thats about all I remember about it, that horn though is quality :biggrin:

Stephenite

Membå
stephenite in reply to your question

How many bikes do you have Biggsy?

It's not quality it's quantity that counts

3 rideable all costing less than £100 ea + 1 x tandem cost £250

then 3 x frame projects and loads of spare wheels etc etc .

it does not worry me 1 bit as like others say the bike might be 4 oz lighter than mine but the rider is 2 stone heavier

i do enjoy commuting on my cheap bikes and so should others

I've got four bikes here at home, and one at my mams in Manchester. All different prices.

One was being chucked out by a neighbour. It needs a little bit of doing up, but i've got the spare parts for it.

Another was 2nd hand and cost c.£150. A few quid spent on improving the brakes.

Another cost £850 new. Bought new brake pads, mudguards, and a rack. And new bar tape. Currently my most used bike.

My most expensive bike originally cost £600, after a huge discount, but i've replaced bits and bobs over the years. Now looking at about £1500 spent on it. A lightweight, aluminium hardtail.

I don't mean any disrespect but, maybe, this snobbery is in your own head.

Give some examples.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Inverse snobbery appears more often, in the form of bike snobbery threads, and "is it me or don't the roadies wave at me 'cos they think I'm beneath them?"

Ride what you want, where you want, how you want. Sorted.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If anything I'm the inverse snob. I love a bargain, and if it's a bargain that's been tweaked and bodged until it's perfect for purpose, all the better.

subaqua

What’s the point
I don't care what people think about my bikesor what i look like when i ride em. i wear whats comfy. and i spend as little or as much as I want as I see fit. I won't pay lots for tat though .

the 4 bikes i own come in at under a grand, in total that is not each.

twobiker

Is it snobbery or is it that we are in our own little world when cycling and when someone goes by it is to late to acknowledge them or we have to shout "hello"

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
not sure if this is snobbery or a strange obsession, but if other bikes don't have that neat little cylinder with planetary gears in it on the back wheel, I lose interest in them immediately regardless of Italian name emblazened on the side or cost - I couldn't tell a £4000 bike from a £1000 tbh unless it was in a shop with the price tag on it. If they do have this, they gain my attention whether on the road (wonder if other cyclists think I'm looking at them?), in a rack at the railway station or in a shop. They might get elevated to wish list material.

And nothing's changed since I got back into cycling 3 years ago, not sure if I fully understand it...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
not sure if this is snobbery or a strange obsession, but if other bikes don't have that neat little cylinder with planetary gears in it on the back wheel,

So you are into Sturmey Archer....

Keith Oates

Janner
I speak to most people on bikes UNLESS they are using Camp...............no I can't even write the word without feeling queezy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You're part of the problem Keith whereas I have done my bit to break down barriers.
Recently I've forced myself to at least nod to people who have bikes brands made in Taiwan or China or use that tacky Shimano gubbins on them.

With more therapy I'm even hoping to be able to meet people wearing black socks on a road bike without vomiting like that old lady in Little Britain.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You're part of the problem Keith whereas I have done my bit to break down barriers.
Recently I've forced myself to at least nod to people who have bikes brands made in Taiwan or China or use that tacky Shimano gubbins on them.

With more therapy I'm even hoping to be able to meet people wearing black socks on a road bike without vomiting like that old lady in Little Britain.
Good post Tim.

I've even trained myself not to spit at mountain bikers who have the cheek to try and catch my eye these days. A simple "F*ck off you knobbly tyred chav" is all you need in discouraging the lower classes from getting over familiar.

Courtesy costs nothing.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
So you are into Sturmey Archer.....

Yes, and all the other makes. Ordered a 1997-8 model from ebay last week for a tenner with a view to practising taking it apart and putting it back together. Been watching the youtube vids on this. Should arrive next week.

TVC

When I'm out hill walking I only say hello to people wearing Berghaus, North Face or Marmot. I never acknowledge anyone in Peter Storm or Decathlon. Does that make me a snob?

Top Bottom