Too much time on maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seem to be spending too much time checking and cleaning my bikes, especially in the winter months, and it's getting to be a chore...

- When they get wet, I wipe them completely dry - 10 mins.
- When the chain gets wet, I wipe it dry and then re-lube it - 5 mins.
- If the entire bike has got a soaking, I also clean and re-lube the gears - 5 mins. (Once a week, I give the gears a more thorough cleaning - 10 mins).
- After every ride, I check the tyres for flints and glass (unavoidable round these parts) and run my hand around the spokes - I know, but did actually discover a broken spoke this way once. If the tyres are wet they have to be wiped dry first or you can't see the tread properly - 5-10 mins.
- If it's dark or raining heavily by the time I get home, the whole of this has to be done in a smallish shed with a lead-light for lighting, and I have to raise the front wheel and back wheel in turn to get at them. There's not much room to move around. It can easily take 30-40 mins.

So, is this overkill? I (and many others) must have experienced the onset of rust on components and the 'orange chain' syndrome when things aren't maintained properly - I don't get any of this, but the amount of time it's taking me seems to be getting longer and longer. Would different componentry help?

Any constructive ideas welcomed.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
I seem to be spending too much time checking and cleaning my bikes, especially in the winter months, and it's getting to be a chore...

- When they get wet, I wipe them completely dry - 10 mins.
- When the chain gets wet, I wipe it dry and then re-lube it - 5 mins.
- If the entire bike has got a soaking, I also clean and re-lube the gears - 5 mins. (Once a week, I give the gears a more thorough cleaning - 10 mins).
- After every ride, I check the tyres for flints and glass (unavoidable round these parts) and run my hand around the spokes - I know, but did actually discover a broken spoke this way once. If the tyres are wet they have to be wiped dry first or you can't see the tread properly - 5-10 mins.
- If it's dark or raining heavily by the time I get home, the whole of this has to be done in a smallish shed with a lead-light for lighting, and I have to raise the front wheel and back wheel in turn to get at them. There's not much room to move around. It can easily take 30-40 mins.

So, is this overkill? I (and many others) must have experienced the onset of rust on components and the 'orange chain' syndrome when things aren't maintained properly - I don't get any of this, but the amount of time it's taking me seems to be getting longer and longer. Would different componentry help?

Any constructive ideas welcomed.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If you rely on the bike to work for you every single day, then the chore of keeping the bike clean and functioning isnt going to go away.
Where others will awake to a flat or, a chain that skips over the gears and gets fouled, you wont.....
If you can afford it, then run a bike will fewer components .. singlespeed eg

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If you rely on the bike to work for you every single day, then the chore of keeping the bike clean and functioning isnt going to go away.
Where others will awake to a flat or, a chain that skips over the gears and gets fouled, you wont.....
If you can afford it, then run a bike will fewer components .. singlespeed eg

C

chillyuk

It may seem a little over the top, but your bike will be going well and looking good in a couple of years whilst this group will be dealing with the usual whines about rust, skipping gears and the usual nonsense from those who don't do a lot of maintenance.

If you have the time and the inclination more power to your elbow.

C

chillyuk

It may seem a little over the top, but your bike will be going well and looking good in a couple of years whilst this group will be dealing with the usual whines about rust, skipping gears and the usual nonsense from those who don't do a lot of maintenance.

If you have the time and the inclination more power to your elbow.

snorri

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Would different componentry help?
I got really fed up with derailleur gears needing constant tweaking and decided to make the change to Rohloff. This gets rid of a lot of the ironmongery that was exposed to weather and required constant maintenance, the only downside is the initial expenditure.

snorri

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Would different componentry help?
I got really fed up with derailleur gears needing constant tweaking and decided to make the change to Rohloff. This gets rid of a lot of the ironmongery that was exposed to weather and required constant maintenance, the only downside is the initial expenditure.

Norm

Hey, beanz

IMO, that is too much time to be spending on maintenance but, before I go further, what else would you be doing with that time? If you'd just be vegging in front of the tv, then fill your boots and play with your steed. You'll spot issues developing long before they become problems. If, on the other hand, that time is keeping you from, for example, playing with kids, then screw the bike. Or, indeed, are you spending time in the shed to avoid spending time doing something else? Ooo, we could get all psychological with this one! :laugh:

If you are cogitating the lost time, then (spot the accountant) what value do you put on your free time?

If you take your time at the minimum wage of £6 (I know it's £5.80, but it makes the numbers easier, I'll probably get even more vague later!) then 30 minutes a day is valued at £15 over a week of commuting. A couple of months at that is valued at £150 (see!), which could be enough to get a cheap commuter that you don't care about, you can ride without cleaning and, even if it only lasts 6 months, your saved time means it has paid for itself.

Another way of looking at it is what would you pay to have a life with no bike maintenance at all over the next 6 months? Spend less than that and you are onto a winner.

It's a way of rationalising snorri's suggestion, what would an up-front spend be worth to you in saved time?

All this, of course, assumes that you use the bike for daily commuting.

As for the orange chain syndrome, you are unlikely to get an issue with that if you ride the bike frequently and give it a squirt of lube (10 seconds!) after every ride. It certainly won't need a full clean and re-grease. Think of the environmental benefit as well ;)

Norm

Hey, beanz

IMO, that is too much time to be spending on maintenance but, before I go further, what else would you be doing with that time? If you'd just be vegging in front of the tv, then fill your boots and play with your steed. You'll spot issues developing long before they become problems. If, on the other hand, that time is keeping you from, for example, playing with kids, then screw the bike. Or, indeed, are you spending time in the shed to avoid spending time doing something else? Ooo, we could get all psychological with this one! :rofl:

If you are cogitating the lost time, then (spot the accountant) what value do you put on your free time?

If you take your time at the minimum wage of £6 (I know it's £5.80, but it makes the numbers easier, I'll probably get even more vague later!) then 30 minutes a day is valued at £15 over a week of commuting. A couple of months at that is valued at £150 (see!), which could be enough to get a cheap commuter that you don't care about, you can ride without cleaning and, even if it only lasts 6 months, your saved time means it has paid for itself.

Another way of looking at it is what would you pay to have a life with no bike maintenance at all over the next 6 months? Spend less than that and you are onto a winner.

It's a way of rationalising snorri's suggestion, what would an up-front spend be worth to you in saved time?

As for the orange chain syndrome, you are unlikely to get an issue with that if you ride the bike frequently and give it a squirt of lube (10 seconds!) after every ride. It certainly won't need a full clean and re-grease. Think of the environmental benefit as well :smile:

Norm

Hey, beanz

IMO, that is too much time to be spending on maintenance but, before I go further, what else would you be doing with that time? If you'd just be vegging in front of the tv, then fill your boots and play with your steed. You'll spot issues developing long before they become problems. If, on the other hand, that time is keeping you from, for example, playing with kids, then screw the bike. Or, indeed, are you spending time in the shed to avoid spending time doing something else? Ooo, we could get all psychological with this one! :rolleyes:

As for the orange chain syndrome, you are unlikely to get an issue with that if you ride the bike frequently and give it a squirt of lube (10 seconds!) after every ride. It certainly won't need a full clean and re-grease. Think of the environmental benefit as well :biggrin:

SimonC

Personally, I couldn't be bothered with half an hour after each ride.

I build up a layer of oily grime over the winter, keep adding a bit more oil (Finish Line Green) and this protects the gears, chain and cassette ;).

Same with the layer of gritty grime on the frame.

Then give the whole thing a wash every few weeks.

Plus I wouldnt want to spend half an hour in the shed after a hard training ride, all sweaty. Not very good for recovery or general health.

SimonC

I build up a layer of oily grime over the winter, keep adding a bit more oil (Finish Line Green) and this protects the gears, chain and cassette :smile:.

Plus I wouldnt want to spend half an hour in the shed after a hard training ride, all sweaty. Not very good for recovery or general health.

SimonC

I build up a layer of oily grime over the winter, keep adding a bit more oil (Finish Line Green) and this protects the gears, chain and cassette :biggrin:.

SimonC

snorri said:

Why?

Top Bottom