Too much time on maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonC

snorri said:
I got really fed up with derailleur gears needing constant tweaking and decided to make the change to Rohloff. This gets rid of a lot of the ironmongery that was exposed to weather and required constant maintenance, the only downside is the initial expenditure.

Why?

SimonC

snorri said:
I got really fed up with derailleur gears needing constant tweaking and decided to make the change to Rohloff. This gets rid of a lot of the ironmongery that was exposed to weather and required constant maintenance, the only downside is the initial expenditure.

Why?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
This shows up the difference between people and how things in early life developed their approach.....
as a former soldier, even if i took my weapon out of the armoury just for drill, I was still expected to flippn well clean it for 1/2 hour afterwards to get it back into the armoury....
there is no right or wrong way, just your own way

I am Spartacus

Über Member
This shows up the difference between people and how things in early life developed their approach.....
as a former soldier, even if i took my weapon out of the armoury just for drill, I was still expected to flippn well clean it for 1/2 hour afterwards to get it back into the armoury....

I am Spartacus

Über Member

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Thanks for all the comments guys, whichever side of the fence you are.

I do use my bikes a lot (the recent bad weather is easily the longest I've been off them for the last few years) - my commuter in particular. It's an old frame but with a lot of new-ish components, which is why I feel bound to make some effort to keep it up to scratch. I suppose the upside, as has been said, is that the likelihood of it letting me down is lessened, particularly in the case of developing faults that could be spotted.

I think - seriously - a bigger and better shed might help a bit. It's such a tight squeeze in there with me and 2 bikes. If I had more room to move around the bike, it might seem less of a pain. No room in the house to do this sort of stuff and we don't have a garage. Checking the tyres over is probably the one thing I wish it was easier to do, especially in winter.

OP
OP
beanzontoast

I do use my bikes a lot (the recent bad weather is easily the longest I've been off them for the last few years) - my commuter in particular. It's an old frame but with a lot of new-ish components, which is why I feel bound to make some effort to keep it up to scratch. I suppose the upside, as has been said, is that the likelihood of it letting me down is lessened, particularly in the case of developing faults that could be spotted.

I think - seriously - a bigger and better shed might help a bit. It's such a tight squeeze in there with me and 2 bikes. If I had more room to move around the bike, it might seem less of a pain. No room in the house to do this sort of stuff and we don't have a garage. Checking the tyres over is probably the one thing I wish it was easier to do, especially in winter.

OP
OP
beanzontoast

tyred

Legendary Member
Get an old three-speed. They're bomb-proof.

brokenbetty

Über Member
SimonC said:
Personally, I couldn't be bothered with half an hour after each ride.

I build up a layer of oily grime over the winter, keep adding a bit more oil (Finish Line Green)...

Same with the layer of gritty grime on the frame.

Then give the whole thing a wash every few weeks.

Hey, I build up a layer of oily grime over winter too! :evil:

Oh - you were talking about the bike :ohmy:

Top Bottom