Too much time on maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonC

snorri said:
How many thousand miles do you manage without tweaking? A lot depends on weather, road conditions and mileage, but it seems that I don't manage many months without something grating or needing cleaning.:ohmy:

Rode all thru last winter commuting and training, then thru summer racing, training and commuting, all on same bike with/without mudguards, did thousands of miles and never had to adjust gears, or fit a new chain or cassette.

Just fitted new chain and cassette this weekend, just because I thought I should since its been on for ages.

SimonC

snorri said:
How many thousand miles do you manage without tweaking? A lot depends on weather, road conditions and mileage, but it seems that I don't manage many months without something grating or needing cleaning.:biggrin:

Rode all thru last winter commuting and training, then thru summer racing, training and commuting, all on same bike with/without mudguards, did thousands of miles and never had to adjust gears, or fit a new chain or cassette.

Just fitted new chain and cassette this weekend, just because I thought I should since its been on for ages.

snorri

Legendary Member
SimonC said:
I'm amazed.:ohmy:

snorri

Legendary Member
SimonC said:
I'm amazed.:evil:

snorri

Legendary Member
SimonC said:
I'm amazed.:biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I give the chain a quick wipe and lube every few days or whenever it rains plus a quick wipe down of the rims. Everything else can wait until I feel like spending a bit more time on it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I give the chain a quick wipe and lube every few days or whenever it rains plus a quick wipe down of the rims. Everything else can wait until I feel like spending a bit more time on it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
dodgy said:
I've never heard of anyone drying their tyres before!

I used to dry the tyres on my bike :blush:, but only because I kept it in doors stood on its back wheel with the front wheel and handlebars jammed between a wardrobe and a cream wall, pretty sure my landlord would not have liked mud marks all up the wall. The joys of storing your bmx in halls of residence! :wacko:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
dodgy said:

I used to dry the tyres on my bike :rofl:, but only because I kept it in doors stood on its back wheel with the front wheel and handlebars jammed between a wardrobe and a cream wall, pretty sure my landlord would not have liked mud marks all up the wall. The joys of storing your bmx in halls of residence! :biggrin:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
dodgy said:

Always after a ride in the wet, or on salt covered roads - and I wipe that black brake crud off the rims too. But then I am lucky in that the bikes are appreciated as sculptural objects, and one is always on display in the study, and there is no pressure to banish them to the shed. I can also work on the bikes indoors as we have tiled floors throughout - easily mopped clean.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I suspect I'm at one extreme of the scale: I'm basically idle, and utterly unconcerned about appearance....

I ride an old fixie that I haven't cleaned once since I bought it eight months ago. I lube the chain when I see signs of brown. Yesterday I spent about 20 minutes changing the brake blocks, and today I spent about five minutes shifting the back wheel slightly to take up a bit of slack that had built up in the chain over the last six months. That's it. The full extent of my maintenance over the last six months, other than fixing the occasional puncture. The bike runs like a dream.

Top Bottom