Too much time on maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
SimonC said:
Personally, I couldn't be bothered with half an hour after each ride.

I build up a layer of oily grime over the winter, keep adding a bit more oil (Finish Line Green)...

Same with the layer of gritty grime on the frame.

Then give the whole thing a wash every few weeks.

Hey, I build up a layer of oily grime over winter too! :ohmy:

Oh - you were talking about the bike :biggrin:

brokenbetty

Über Member
SimonC said:
Personally, I couldn't be bothered with half an hour after each ride.

I build up a layer of oily grime over the winter, keep adding a bit more oil (Finish Line Green)...

Same with the layer of gritty grime on the frame.

Then give the whole thing a wash every few weeks.

Hey, I build up a layer of oily grime over winter too! :laugh:

Oh - you were talking about the bike ;)

OP
OP
beanzontoast
snorri said:
How many thousand miles do you manage without tweaking? A lot depends on weather, road conditions and mileage, but it seems that I don't manage many months without something grating or needing cleaning.:laugh:

Looking for positives in all this time I'm spending, I'm hoping that keeping on top of the chain and gears will at least reduce wear a little and pay me back in giving a longer component life. I haven't any evidence to support this yet - main commuter's done about 800 miles since having changed quite a lot of components last summer - but I'm hoping... ;)

OP
OP
beanzontoast
snorri said:
How many thousand miles do you manage without tweaking? A lot depends on weather, road conditions and mileage, but it seems that I don't manage many months without something grating or needing cleaning.:evil:

Looking for positives in all this time I'm spending, I'm hoping that keeping on top of the chain and gears will at least reduce wear a little and pay me back in giving a longer component life. I haven't any evidence to support this yet - main commuter's done about 800 miles since having changed quite a lot of components last summer - but I'm hoping... :ohmy:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
snorri said:
How many thousand miles do you manage without tweaking? A lot depends on weather, road conditions and mileage, but it seems that I don't manage many months without something grating or needing cleaning.:ohmy:

Looking for positives in all this time I'm spending, I'm hoping that keeping on top of the chain and gears will at least reduce wear a little and pay me back in giving a longer component life. I haven't any evidence to support this yet - main commuter's done about 800 miles since having changed quite a lot of components last summer - but I'm hoping... :biggrin:

GilesM

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
I think - seriously - a bigger and better shed might help a bit. It's such a tight squeeze in there with me and 2 bikes. If I had more room to move around the bike, it might seem less of a pain. No room in the house to do this sort of stuff and we don't have a garage. Checking the tyres over is probably the one thing I wish it was easier to do, especially in winter.

I think this is the obvious answer, a bigger shed and bike stand, I've always enjoyed working on my bikes, but since I finished my garage and bought a bike stand then my bikes rerely go out dirty, two hours in the garage a couple of nights a week is really enjoyable, especially now I've fitted a heater.

GilesM

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
I think - seriously - a bigger and better shed might help a bit. It's such a tight squeeze in there with me and 2 bikes. If I had more room to move around the bike, it might seem less of a pain. No room in the house to do this sort of stuff and we don't have a garage. Checking the tyres over is probably the one thing I wish it was easier to do, especially in winter.

I think this is the obvious answer, a bigger shed and bike stand, I've always enjoyed working on my bikes, but since I finished my garage and bought a bike stand then my bikes rerely go out dirty, two hours in the garage a couple of nights a week is really enjoyable, especially now I've fitted a heater.

GilesM

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:

redjedi

Über Member
I like to think I look after my bike, but I don't go to your extremes.

I'll normally wipe and lube the chain once a week. I'll rinse of any grime after a wet ride with a hose pipe (gently), and remove any stubborn dirt with a wet wipe.

After an average dry ride, it'll go straight into the shed without a care. I may pop out before going to bed to make sure the tyres don't have puncture.

Then once a month a give it a full wash / service. I will almost completely disassemble it and wash and lube everything. In the summer this can be more often as it's a nice way to spend a sunny afternoon :evil:

redjedi

Über Member

I'll normally wipe and lube the chain once a week. I'll rinse of any grime after a wet ride with a hose pipe (gently), and remove any stubborn dirt with a wet wipe.

After an average dry ride, it'll go straight into the shed without a care. I may pop out before going to bed to make sure the tyres don't have puncture.

Then once a month a give it a full wash / service. I will almost completely disassemble it and wash and lube everything. In the summer this can be more often as it's a nice way to spend a sunny afternoon :ohmy:

redjedi

Über Member

Then once a month a give it a full wash / service. I will almost completely disassemble it and wash and lube everything. In the summer this can be more often as it's a nice way to spend a sunny afternoon :blush:

SimonC

snorri said:
How many thousand miles do you manage without tweaking? A lot depends on weather, road conditions and mileage, but it seems that I don't manage many months without something grating or needing cleaning.xx(

Rode all thru last winter commuting and training, then thru summer racing, training and commuting, all on same bike with/without mudguards, did thousands of miles and never had to adjust gears, or fit a new chain or cassette.

Just fitted new chain and cassette this weekend, just because I thought I should since its been on for ages.

Top Bottom