#TooCloseForComfort kickstarter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Money wasted for multiple reasons.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Use a piece of chalk and it runs the risk of not looking official enough and the police will just get accused of making it up. A proper piece of kit makes it all correct, calibrated and consistent so people might pay more attention. Remember that bad drivers will look for excuses to justify their driving and "it was just some copper with a piece of chalk" would provide just that excuse.

If the fuzz really do decide they need it then it should be funded out of driving penalty fines or something though. Maybe even general taxation if it's a genuinely useful policing tool. What's next, crowdfunded tasers?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Use a piece of chalk and it runs the risk of not looking official enough and the police will just get accused of making it up. A proper piece of kit makes it all correct, calibrated and consistent so people might pay more attention. Remember that bad drivers will look for excuses to justify their driving and "it was just some copper with a piece of chalk" would provide just that excuse.

If the fuzz really do decide they need it then it should be funded out of driving penalty fines or something though. Maybe even general taxation if it's a genuinely useful policing tool. What's next, crowdfunded tasers?
If you're pulled to one side by a copper who then demonstrates the correct distances by using a piece of chalk, how can you claim that wasn't official?

Also how many times can these mats be driven over before they fall to bits?

It's typical Cycling UK "look at us, look at us, this is what we're doing for you the poor, lowly cyclist" b******cks

martint235

Dog on a bike
Does the chalk come with a calibration certificate?
Is the motorist going to ask to see one? How does the motorist know that any particular certificate applies to that particular mat? What happens if there'd been an error in the manufacturing process?

The chalk will come with a tape measure marked B+Q in the traditional way.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I can just see the average Plod HQ receiving these mats and lobbing them in the back of a cupboard somewhere to be forgotten about - then in 5 years times someone gets them out to use them to beats a new recruit with some naked oily wrestling.

The mats themselves are useless if the Police don't supply the much needed manpower and willingness.

Oh - and I disagree with the 75cm line on the mat to show how close the cyclist should be to the curb. If I want to ride in primary I will.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is the motorist going to ask to see one? How does the motorist know that any particular certificate applies to that particular mat? What happens if there'd been an error in the manufacturing process?
Quality management, innit. People have got off drink driving charges due to poor analyser quality control record keeping on the part of the police.

Anyway, my point is really that the aim of the exercise is driver education. I think a lot of drivers might be reluctant to have their driving ability scrutinised, so it might be necessary to employ a bit of theatre so they realise it's a big deal.

Top Bottom